HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:12:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED  (Read 6271 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 26, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »

Okay, so here it is 7:30 AM on a Monday morning and as I have been up since about 3 and got most everything I needed done ... done, I finally decide to sit down and read this Legion story found in the JLU book. And crap, right away I see problems.

Mon-El teleports in and the first words out of his mouth are about killing an alien baby? Really? Are we back in the over-the-top, early 70's or something? You're a hero, you don't go around killing toddlers, no matter what they may do to the future. Yes, I am sure there will not be a killing of this kid, whom is gonna grow up really fast if what I have read at the LCS is any indication (Issues 4 and 5), but that still shouldn't distract us from the fact a hero ... a true hero of the future, pops in and wants to "Destroy" this kid. He says it at the end of issue #5 as well, but I was hoping that here he would ... I don't know ... NOT want to kill a kid.

Cheesy

Okay, back to the book
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »

Yeah that bugged me too.  Weak writing IMO.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »

Not sure who the writer of this Justice League United title is really, because there is no way he could be the same writer that wrote such gems as the Justice League Dark and Green Arrow series. I mean, this stuff here is just not that enjoyable. And the Legion? Why are they even here? I mean I suppose you will need them for the basic plot and the ending, but so far, as of the third issue of this arc, the Legion have said about 3 things. That's it. This is not at all a Legion story, for me anyway, and that is the sole reason I picked up these issues.

Instead of a good Legion story we get a horrible antagonist, a couple of heroes that just suck, some heroes that don't act at all like heroes, an over all story that I couldn't care less about and the crappy, over-used subject ... a baby as a plot device {insert plot device here} (Yes I am aware that Marvel is even using a damn baby over in Angela right now, but at least there the writing is "good"  Wink Cheesy)

Ugh, instead of having a nice little arc featuring a group I really enjoy and wanted to see and read about, The Legion, I kinda feel I just wasted $10. Like I ate a Big Mac meal, super-sized, went back for a soft-serve and now I just feel tired and bloated with nothing to really show for it other than a bigger pot-belly.
 Angry

Tell ya what, when that Lemire guy gets back from vacation, make sure he kicks this guys ass for using his name.

JLU issues 6, 7 and Annual
3 outta 10 - "Multi-Aliens"  Roll Eyes 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:48:45 AM »

Not sure who the writer of this Justice League United title is really, because there is no way he could be the same writer that wrote such gems as the Justice League Dark and Green Arrow series. I mean, this stuff here is just not that enjoyable.

Agreed.

I got the trade in the mail last month, only just finished it tonight.

Seriously, Lemire...this was what you could do with a team here? You had Oliver, Diggle, Shado, Emiko, Katanna, the 2 from Q-Corp, all the other Weapon clans. Ollie here is nothing like your Ollie! What poor, poor writing.

Like you said Perry, most of the dialogue and situations just seemed like comic-booky shtick from bad 70's comics. Uninteresting, flat, poorly driven, and horribly stupid as a plot goes. Adam Strange's new origin for this volume doesn't work for me. The fact Alanna isn't a princess from another world, but just another earth person screwed over by alien tech takes some of the sci fi qualities away. Rann, being a technologically advanced culture, look like an incredibly STUPID group for all their continued failures.

And Mike McKone...was it the inker? Man, you used to draw in such a smooth manner, it was if you never lifted the pencil from the page and made everything flow. As you drew the first 4 issues, it seemed as if you really took a liking to Mike Mignola and tried to add that as influence to your current work. Flattened out art without any of the life you showed in Avengers Academy, Amazing Spider-man, Teen Titans.

All in all...a waste of time. This just goes up on ebay. I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice on whether or not to pre-order volume 2. I can see why this title wasn't around after the Convergence cut.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »

I do like how you pull the words from my mouth, Jimmy  Cheesy I say something like "it was bad" and you in-turn, transform it into the proper explanation.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

I do like how you pull the words from my mouth, Jimmy  Cheesy I say something like "it was bad" and you in-turn, transform it into the proper explanation.
 Cheesy

LOL.  Yeah - Jimmy nailed it.  Not a good book.  I'm only getting it for my Legion nostalgia but it's really not even worth that.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »

I am dying to see who the new writer is.

I know the art will be done by Travel Forman and Paul Pellitier (sp?) but not sure how they will be splitting the duties or anything of that nature. Also hope this doesn't mean that Paul is off Aquaman. Foreman, while I am not the biggest fan, can be okay if he calms down a tad and doesn't go to extreme. Still ... that unknown writer is the biggie for me.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »

I am dying to see who the new writer is.

I know the art will be done by Travel Forman and Paul Pellitier (sp?) but not sure how they will be splitting the duties or anything of that nature. Also hope this doesn't mean that Paul is off Aquaman. Foreman, while I am not the biggest fan, can be okay if he calms down a tad and doesn't go to extreme. Still ... that unknown writer is the biggie for me.

I just got myself super-confused. I thought the title was utterly kaput after Convergence (since it's not in the solicits), but they simply haven't found anyone yet to actually keep it going.

But yes, Pelletier is done with Aquaman (great long run!), and Trevor McCarthy of Batwoman is coming over.

But..its going to take something else for a good writer to make United good for me to check. Feeling burned on that. Also why I won't try any monthlies from Hitch on JLA either. I'd rather see what it's like once he's actually finished with it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 05:10:11 PM »

I just got myself super-confused. I thought the title was utterly kaput after Convergence (since it's not in the solicits), but they simply haven't found anyone yet to actually keep it going.

Well, not sure if they are gonna start over with a new #1 or continue with it an make issue #11, but yeah, it is listed as one of the "titles that will remain" after Convergence

But yes, Pelletier is done with Aquaman (great long run!), and Trevor McCarthy of Batwoman is coming over.

Well poo. And Okay, I like McCarthy well enough if he uses his own style and not try to emulate Williams ... which he did a fair enough try at I guess.

But..its going to take something else for a good writer to make United good for me to check. Feeling burned on that. Also why I won't try any monthlies from Hitch on JLA either. I'd rather see what it's like once he's actually finished with it.

Hear ya. Could be 4 issues in 4 moths and then a year and a half for issue 5 or all sorts of delay scenarios with him. I have already made sure Dave is getting though
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 03:37:53 AM »

Issue #12

So, aside from not being able to get that first panel image our of my mind for the entirety of the issue, ya know, the one panel with the huge, misshapen, angry, sharp-toothed vagina attacking our heroes, I still enjoyed most of the art. Although with this "creature" it was sometimes hard to tell exactly what was going on at times. I will say the new look of Etrigan looks sweet, though I wish he was a tad shorter.

Story wise, I have no idea what I just read. Yes, I understand what I read, I just don't understand why Parker felt like this was the best start to this newly, revamped series. Team building is one thing and showing us that this will be a steadily revolving team book, complete with tons of different DC characters joining in and some then leaving once each mission is over (as long as this title lasts at least) was certainly and is still certainly the draw for me, but having a creature of such Morrison'esgue scope at the first encounter kinda has me worried.

I don't need Starro, Ultrahumanite or Amazo month after month or anything, but I sure hope the next thing the team needs to stop/contain/destroy is a little more easily understood and not as ... well ... trippy? What exactly did Ivy do? Just keep in contact with Swamp Thing? And what did Swampy do again? And Animal Man was there for ... wait, I honestly forgot what he did in issue 1.
 Undecided

Again, I like the team structure (I mean face it, what other team book has Ivy, Swamp Think, Mera, Etriganm, the female Adam Strange ... I forgot her name, that new, Native American hero ... whose name I also forgot and Animal Man) and I think it is cool that the roster will essentially change each month or every other month (so that team of Ivy, Swamp Think, Mera, Etrigan, the female Adam Strange ... I forgot her name, that new, Native American hero ... whose name I also forgot and Animal Man will not be the team next month), but I really hope for some better "problems" for the next team to face. A team that will apparently feature Batgirl.

Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS