HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:19:43 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IRON FIST: LIVING WEAPON  (Read 12519 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »

Okay you Marvel Unlimited guys, I just checked and the first four issues of this series is up on MU. Read it as soon as you can. Visually, this book is just amazingly powerful. It is not a usual art style, but Andrews just blew me out of the water with some of the interior panels in this damn thing.

I just picked up a couple of these issues, and can not stress enough how important this book is, art wise. I mean, I love the character and his history as well, so that helps, but seriously, just read this. Or just look at this (No, read it too)

I can promise you that this will be one of the first Marvel trades (hopefully HC's) or any companies trades for that matter to come around in a long time that I will buy just for the art. I will buy when it hits just because of the way it has hit me visually. I am just blown away.

Incredible.

I can't wait to read these damn issues ... yes I am so pumped for a book I haven't even read yet, but if it is written anywhere close to the great level that the art stands at, this could be my favorite book of the year. And to think I had this on my pull and yet dropped it at the last minute for ... Hell, I can't even remember what book I got in its place, but I don't think I even get that book any longer.

Art is insane, crazy, and so damn beautiful in its ugliness.

The way the first couple of pages look as if they were drawn on folded paper ... the use of colors (major props to the colorist by the way) ... DAMN I am mad I am so late on this.
 Angry

Anyway, go read, please, you have it for free!!!!

EDIT - Andrews is also the colorists !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy hell, I am so mad I didn't support this when I had the chance.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:39:26 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:26:43 AM »

I will for sure go and read this then.

I loved, loved the Fraction and Siencwickz (sic) run, but I wasn't sure I would get as caught up in a different volume of Iron Fist.

Perry; has this been cancelled? You seem to speak of it in the past tense. Although...I may remember it being cancelled....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »

I have not heard it is canceled, though it may be, but with sales around that of She-Hulk and X-Factor (two already canceled books), I don't think it will last long regardless.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »

WOW and double wow. (Wow/Wow?)  Cheesy

Guys, if you ever cared about Iron Fist ... and you know his back story pretty well (you have read or at least familiar with Fraction, Aja and Brubaker's great Iron Fist run), this series will rock your chi all to hell. You will smile while this book kicks you in your teeth. It is so damn good. I was honestly only going to read the first issue last night, late last night, but ended up reading 1-4 in a glutenous act of artistic consumption.

This art, man this art, is just amazing to look at. And no, this art is not in anyway close to the gorgeous and precision stylings of Aja. This art is totally different. While Aja's art can guide you down the panels, comforting you along the way, this art grabs you, pushes your face into the panels, forcing you to say its name all the while you know you are thankful for its rudeness. I mean you have to admire some of these panels. I lost myself more than once staring at Andrews style, so fitting of this book, so fitting of this character that it is incredible. Yep, another of those true gems were art and subject blend to bring forth a perfect example of comicbook perfection. And yes, I spelled "comic book" that way on purpose, and Andrews tells you why at the end of the first issue.
 Wink

Going back to the art, Andrews does the coloring as well and it is perfection. This style would not work on many books, but it works with fantastic eye-popping excellence here. It has a very washed over look, water-color like, almost like Flash colorist Buccallato uses when he works with water-colors (This does NOT look like the Flash comic that he use to color. No, but only an example of his water-color style he uses for con commissions and what not ... that is growing very popular by the way  Smiley)

Damn this is so hard ... trying to remain spoiler free as I want to discuss so much of this book. Okay, still no spoilers below, no matter how hard it will be.
 Smiley

Now issue one does start off in semi-typical first issue flare, re-capping (although beautifully) Daniel Rand's past to bring new readers up to speed as much as can be without bogging down the book. It does this by only telling part of his origin, just enough to get you started and then it comes in with it's "action movie" moments and plenty of them. And I mentioned before about how Kaare drew the pages to look all beat up, well all the past stuff, that origin retelling, has the pages that look folded, wrinkled, torn in spots and it fits the history aspect of the character so damn great. It was just a really solid first issue.

The only thing I will say about issue number two is that while the origin continues here, it once again does nothing to bog the book down. Plus, issue two's ending left me with my jaw dropped to the floor. It may not hit you if you are new to Iron Fist lore, but if you know your Fist ...

Issue 3 had ... well ... three things that I will never forget. Damn it, guys, hurry up and read this book!!!

I honestly tried to stop read this title at issue three, but while I was once tired as hell and just wanted a book to relax me before hitting the bed, now I am as wired as guy hitting lines on a mirror  Grin so off to issue 4 I went.

Issue 4 brought us back around to issue 1, concluding a scene, and it also featured a ... well, again, I can't go into too much detail but let me say while I enjoyed this one just as much as the other three, this was a good book to finally end the night. My adrenalin finally began to fade so I dared not open issue 5.

Anyway, you guys have these issues on MU, go hit them up as soon as you can!! Want to hear what you guys thought!
 Smiley

Easily -
9 outta 10 - Fists of Iron!!!!!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »

Popped out the first issue right before bed. Kaare's style definitley works for selling this title! I just hope his story stays there the whole time!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »

As luck would have it, it's already on Marvel Unlimited!  Grin

I'll add it to my reading library.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »

I've been reading via Unlimited for the [past 4 months...i totally agree that the art is spectacular in it own peculiar way and the story is rolling at a good speed.  the use of flashbacks has been very effective...a difficult technique to master and Andrews is nailing it.  I am not blown away by the story...it feels a bit been there as compared to the early run of Faction but it is still an interesting take and certainly will continue to follow it down the line.

I personally feel that if a book has been released in Trade or avail in Unlimited enough time has passed to allow for spoilers but maybe a separate thread is in order.  I've been meaning to start a "6 Months Later" thread just for Unlimited readers or trade waiters
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:18 PM »

Well .... yeah ...

Okay you Marvel Unlimited guys, I just checked and the first four issues of this series is up on MU. Read it as soon as you can.

You just don't listen to me anymore  Cry

Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

Well .... yeah ...

Okay you Marvel Unlimited guys, I just checked and the first four issues of this series is up on MU. Read it as soon as you can.

You just don't listen to me anymore  Cry

Grin

LOL - thats my wife says   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:52 AM »

the use of flashbacks has been very effective...a difficult technique to master and Andrews is nailing it.  

That he is. Was really shocked and surprised when he brought it back around to issue 1, showing more of the "reporter", but that was really done well.

I am not blown away by the story...it feels a bit been there as compared to the early run of Faction

Well I like to think Brubaker was more responsible for most of the stuff I liked in that run, but ... Only because I enjoy more of his stuff Grin (though Fraction's Iron Man is top 10 in my favorite runs)

A lot is rehash, it is also good for new readers. I can give that when I am still interested in what is happening, and I am certainly interested. Hell, I am fighting the urge to read the other four issues tonight. Trying to pace that out a tad more. Make it last.

I personally feel that if a book has been released in Trade or avail in Unlimited enough time has passed to allow for spoilers but maybe a separate thread is in order.  I've been meaning to start a "6 Months Later" thread just for Unlimited readers or trade waiters

That is cool. I still tend to either mark things as spoilers until a year has gone by (just is a personal thing) or label my posts with the certain issue number so if there are spoilers I missed, well you knew I was talking about issue "X", you should have stopped reading.
 Grin

But as I read stuff so late, or like this, with issue 8 already out, I don't mind discussing issues that are over 5 months or so old. Hell, I am gonna read that damn DC's Cosmic Odyssey here soon to talk about.
 Grin

I mean, you can still put it under whatever thread it goes, we can either read it or avoid it based on what the topic is. But hell, post away, man
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:08:10 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »

I read issue's 1 - 4 last night and this morning.

I don't remember Danny Rand being such an angry character but still, I liked these four issues.  I liked the art as well.  Considering I read this on my iPhone I can say that Marvel's reader seems to be better.  The art was fun to look at with the giant words in the background...D E A T H....

I had forgotten that there were a lot of series that I didn't start or dropped because I had to cut expenses.  Now I've started filling up my library with those titles and can see myself reading a lot of Marvel over the coming weeks.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »

I don't remember Danny Rand being such an angry character ...

Well he is not angry as much as being troubled by why this "feeling" is taking over him. Why is the memory of his past hitting him. What is it that is "wrong" with him? He even states in issue one that he has been avoiding the past for too long. It is not until the end of issue #2 that we see the reason why he has been troubled ... and he then gets mad.  Grin Gets angry at needing to return to K'un Lun and we get to see the reason why he has been feeling so troubled.

K'un Lun is in trouble. Bad trouble.

Of course he REALLY gets pissed when we see what he sees in issue #3, around page nine (something that shocked the hell out of me), and then his anger rises yet again when that other thing hits him at the end of that issue. So yeah, he is pissed, but, I mean. there are reasons.
 Grin

Of course, if you go into this after reading Bendis' version of the character, which is like reading Spider-Man 2.0, then yes, this is a lot different. But while Danny has always had a sense of humor, he is NOT Spider-Man. His humor, which he does show here when dealing with Brenda (who he refers to as four other names  Grin) is not one of witty banter anymore than Daredevil's is suppose to be, it is more subtle or snarky (Just ask Luke Cage  Grin Wink). Iron Fist plays humor differently, but I would not be surprised to see Bendis write something like "Iron Fist powers, activate!" when writing Danny, yet Danny is not THAT kind of humorous character. He's more in touch with certain aspects of nature and especially the Mystic land of K'un Lun and less Tim Allen. He is in-between Dr. Strange and Peter when it comes to his personality, to me anyway.
 Smiley

Considering I read this on my iPhone I can say that Marvel's reader seems to be better. 

Oh if only. I wish that the online reader was as good as the mobile reader seems to be for you. And reading on your iPhone is no way to look at this art man. Get your butt in front of a monitor screen. Bad, Jeff. Bad, bad, Jeff.
 Wink
Though I am glad you read it.
 Cool

But seriously, is the MU reader online better as well? If so .. could be a game changer for me.

And issue #5 of this, we see a lot more of his history that we have never seen. Not retconing anything, just adding to it and man, add to it is an understatement. And the really cool think this issue does (or was it issue #6 ??) is tie back into the Fraction/Brubaker arc ... or the Brubaker/Fraction arc as I like to think of it  Grin, by explaining something in more detail than they did in their fantastic run. Explaining more about the shortcut door to K'un Lun that is under Rand Tower.
 Cool

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »

Considering I read this on my iPhone I can say that Marvel's reader seems to be better. 

Oh if only. I wish that the online reader was as good as the mobile reader seems to be for you. And reading on your iPhone is no way to look at this art man. Get your butt in front of a monitor screen. Bad, Jeff. Bad, bad, Jeff.
 Wink
Though I am glad you read it.
 Cool

I don't normally carry my PC into the "reading room".   Grin

But seriously, is the MU reader online better as well? If so .. could be a game changer for me.

I'll have to check.  I'm not a fan of the online website.  I have a lot of problems with it loading really slow.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:56 PM »

I'll have to check.  I'm not a fan of the online website.  I have a lot of problems with it loading really slow.

Ya damn right on that account. Last week I didn't read anything; nothing would ever load for me or come on screen. Angry

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »

And THIS is why I don't have MU.

I don't read comics on my phone (and I have a pretty big screen w/my Samsung) so I would only use MU on my desktop or, on occasion, the wife's laptop.

For me, I just can't pay them $70 a year for the system they currently have in place. Tellin' ya Jeff, if you look at that Iron Fist art on a screen that is at least 15" ... WHEW!!! It is amazing.
(or even amazong as I just tried to type)
 Grin
(Damn I am gonna start using that)
 Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS