HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:48:55 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DR. STRANGE  (Read 7274 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 19, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »

Sooo, Jeff and I were pretty damn excited for this title, originally, but with somewhat confusing at times art and Jason Aaron not grabbing us like we are use to, it just fell flat. Jeff jumped off buying the title, rightfully so having Marvel Unlimited, while I stayed on only for reasons I can't explain. Okay, I can explain it actually ... I stayed on because I am just reading Dave's copy and not having to buy it Cheesy. Even with that bit of information, I was still getting to the point of doing the unthinkable, giving up on reading one of my favorite Marvel character's book. It just wasn't grabbing me. Even free, it seemed like I was missing out and wasting time better spent towards reading other titles.

Then, I think around issue #4 or #5 things started to get somewhat interesting. Not great, but interesting enough to keep reading. And that was a huge change for what this title made me feel at first. Yes, it was starting to make me feel a little something. A little inquisitive. Hmmm, okay.

Then came issue #6. Yeah, I can see this. I can feel ya, Arron.

Then came issue #7. Okay, okay. Yep, we may have something here.

Then came issue #8. YAY!!! Finally. This is what I was looking for.

Yes it is the same antagonist we have had the entire run, the magic hating and destroying Empiricul, but now the story seems to have a purpose more in-line to what a good comic should bring. Now the good Doc has teamed up with all the Marvel magic, heavy hitters (Wanda, Shaman, Hellstorm, etc ...) and formed a group of characters searching for the remaining magic items that the Empiricul have yet to destroy, in order to fight back and destroy this ... guy. Haha
 Grin
(Wow, talk about not doing a character justice)
 Cheesy

I really wasn't impressed with this book nor the conflict at first, but now, it really is starting to roll. Heck, I even appreciate the first three or four issues (again, that I didn't really enjoy) more now, solely due to these last two issues. I mean, it is just starting to all gel. Yes the title struggled at first, but I think now, as of issue 8, this title is fighting its way back!!! Ummm, back? Okay, its fighting its way ... forward.
 Grin

Now the art is still a little confusing at times, but now I don't care as much. All I can say is I am looking forward to issue #9 (something I didn't think I would say about this title even a few months ago)

Issue #8
7 out of 10 refrigerator weapons
 Cheesy Cheesy
 (Almost an 8 .. but the art)
 Undecided

Now I want to clarify something also. I do like Bachalo's art. I like the wacky, fun style. I could see myself buying some of his prints of various characters I like, but in panel to panel work between the staples, my eyes just get lost at times. Maybe I am the only one, but THAT is my only complaint on the art. It isn't bad. It isn't bad storytelling. It is just sometimes I miss out on things.

I have the same problem with Kaare Andrews (Iron Fist and 1%). His style is incredible. I love it. LOVE IT. But some panels ... every now and then ... I just stare at and can't make out what I am suppose to see. Love his art though. Weird, yeah?

Sorry for the sidetrack.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »

only gotten thru issue 2 on MCU but can see where you are coming from.  they are fine but certainly lacking something.  Totally agree with Bachelo...i love the energy and add angles/proportions but sequentially i can certainly get a bit lost
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:47 PM »

Exactly.

But hang in there. The book does get better  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:00:04 PM »

That's good to hear as I had dropped it for MU.  I seem to remember it was just getting more interesting when my last floppy arrived.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:41:53 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:20 PM »

I was coming into this thread thinking "wut who, Perry is going to give me the lowdown, and stop me from starting the book. Thank you!"

Instead, it's the missive of keep the faith, and you'll be rewarded!

Guess I'll start it sometime then here. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »

Read the first 2 issues now.

BAcholo's art is very good to set the tone for artists later. Tone is great, descriptive art narrative is...hard at times, but you have to expect that with Bachalo.

In 2 issues, I'm actually interested in the character Stephen Strange. never read any of his other solo titles, and in every other instance, he's the big story cypher to explain away things or power things through. Reading his inner monologue here, his neuroses, understanding he's carrying all kinds of parasite or mystic things inside because he's the best prison? I dig all of that here.

I'm on for several more issues of reading!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »

Wow, good. Both Jeff and I both really didn't "get into" the first few issues, and in-fact Jeff bailed at some point due to that fact, but I did find after a few issues in I was really enjoying myself and the story.

Glad it is hitting early for you  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:09 PM »

Wow, good. Both Jeff and I both really didn't "get into" the first few issues, and in-fact Jeff bailed at some point due to that fact, but I did find after a few issues in I was really enjoying myself and the story.

Glad it is hitting early for you  Smiley

I bailed more for my switch to Unlimited. But yeah, I couldn't get into that Bachlo art. If the story did get better I can always pick back up in Unlimited. And I might just do that since I like Strange and Aaron.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy
Sorry man, wasn't trying to say you "bailed" for another reason.  Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »

{Still enjoying everything going on through 5 issues! I hope Aaron makes it' a good long run here ala Thor and gets to build something very impressive!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS