HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:15:17 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Waid's FLASH  (Read 4378 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 07, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »

So I just started to read Waid's Flash. Hey, I know, I know, I have just never read it, It's sad, but true. It came out right about the time I was leaving comics due to the comic industry's 1990's bullshit, so I just never had the chance to dig in. Why now? Heck, I don't know what got a hold of me to even want to read this (it is not like I need additional reading material), but it is just one of those really loved, massive creator runs (that I think should be the norm rather than the exception) that I really need to read, so when the chance came available for me to do so, how could I say "No"?

Now to be honest, even knowing Waid is a very good writer, I got a little worried right from the start. His first arc "Year One: Born to Run" (issues 62-65), the new origin of Wally essentially, really did nothing for me. Maybe it is because I have always been a "Barry Allen guy", but I don't think that is the reason as I don't mind Wally at all. I enjoyed most of his stuff when I seen it (great in New Teen Titans for example) or maybe it was just that early 90's writing that made me glad I missed most every damn comic published from 92' to '96 or so, but that first arc just wasn't for me.

The next couple of issues (a one-shot story with Aguaman and a two-parter with the villainous Abrakadabra  ... Abra-Kadabra?) where also ... nothing to write home about. Just, typical read and forget stories to pass the time. Not bad, just nothing great.

All that said, I am hanging in and I will try to get through more of these issues as I know ... or at least believe firmly and with conviction ... this series will start to get really good soon. I am currently reading Green Lantern #30, which starts a four part cross-over with GL and Wally facing off against Gorrilla Grodd and Hector Hammond, so I am really excited about reading that.

Of course with the start of this arc I am once again reminded, by a brief scene staring the JLE and more specifically the Crimson Fox  Roll Eyes, just how bad I feel the early 90's were for comics as a whole. Damn I hate that Fox character.

But looking ahead, I am really excited about reading this one -

That looks like it is gonna be at least an interesting read.
 Grin

All of this to get to that Terminal Velocity arc. Really reading to get to that damn thing, just don't want to miss anything that may tie-in. Okay ... back to the Flash ...
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

I'm pissed I can't remember that artist name right now!

But yeah, doesn't Waid leave briefly after Terminal Velocity, then come back again with a up and coming Wieringo (RIP, man Sad ). I remember really enjoy lots of Waid Flash comics. but I think agree about early..".....eh" feeling to them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »

I'm pissed I can't remember that artist name right now!

Greg LaRocque ?

But yeah, doesn't Waid leave briefly after Terminal Velocity, then come back again with a up and coming Wieringo (RIP, man Sad ).

Looks like Waid is on Flash from 62-126 (though as a co-writer from 118-126, with Brian Augustyn). Waid Leaves and then comes back with Brian Augustyn to co-write 142-159. 162 and then solo again from post Jones era with issues 231-236

Terminal Velocity runs from 95 to 101
The very missed Wieringo was from 80 to 92 (with a break on 84 and 89)

I remember really enjoy lots of Waid Flash comics. but I think agree about early..".....eh" feeling to them.

Yeah, I am there with ya
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »

LaRocque! Yup! Moment I saw it, the name and his work all came...FLASHing back to me! Cheesy

I really enjoyed the Terminal Velocity storyline....but again, is this a run that holds up well? (going back to part of my Grell conversation). Some stuff holds up better in memory & time of publication than it does in finished execution and presentation years later.

But I always loved Waid's time travel stuff, as well as the gravitas he gave Wally's Flash duties when everything had to be put on the line to be the greatest hero he could-no matter the cost to himself. I thought Waid always did that very, very well.

I think I also remember Brian Augustyne did a very long run on art in there as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:04:56 AM »

I just want to fully understand the Speed Force, so I figure I would go ALLLLLL the way back to where Waid starts to get as much a jump on it as I can. I don't want to miss a thing.

I also found a comic in an old house, back when I was an electrician, and that was the first time I saw the Max Mercury character and I knew it was some future stuff that Waid brought in and have always wanted to read about it.

Both have me really excited.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS