HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 09:21:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BluRay Question  (Read 5428 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 11, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »

So, with all this new 4K tv's coming out, is there gonna be a new format for movies too? Can Blu Ray display in that detail (at a noticeable difference) or is everyone gonna have to have yet another format?

I stopped buying DVD's when BluRay arrived as I just fear the constant change in format too much now (I bought my favs like Jaws, Star Wars, etc ... on VHS and then got pissed when I had to rebuy for DVD and then when I heard about BluRay I gave up. I was not giving them anymore money. Not doing it again), plus I feel that eventually everything will be On-Demand (or similar) anyway and the physical copy will not be needed, so screw buying them darn movies and shows over and over and over again.

But for those that like/enjoy the physical copies, is BluRay safe for at least a little while longer? At least until the 20K tv's hit?
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »

I have no idea. They may (well, they WILL) put out another unit of play and watch.

But that next unit will simply have more storage and run capabilities. There isn't THAT much more our human eye can detect. That's why on a 1080p tv with 120 mhz refresh rate doesn't even register a difference to our eyes when you see a 240mhz refresh rate. We cannot visually see a difference.

I love the extreme clarity of blu-ray. And the next players will still invariably be able to play blu-rays. But I won't rebuy anything ever again, any more.

It's safe for a while longer, for sure. As far as I read, the new format may not even be able to be released before the end of 2015, and that's if it truly works then. I mean you'll be looking at, what, over 500-700 dollars for a unit to play them, right?

If it changes, I foresee a real slow change.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:08:32 PM »

Yeah, you have to be right, Jimmy.

Heck I know it doesn't make sense to even go the 4k tv route right now as hardly anyone uses it (other than a couple things on Netflix or Amazon Prime and other stuff here and there) much less start a new disc format. This new rush for these TVs is maddening. Much like when people rushed out to buy the HD tvs when they first arrived, when only the nature channel was broadcasting shows in that format, I just shake my head at people that buy it now. Just wait another 2 years and then the major networks will be carry it ... if it survives
 Cheesy

I did see a chart and some people won't even notice a difference in the 4k and their HDTV unless the size and placement is correct. I mean, you need a 60" screen to be 6 or 7 feet away (or like 4 feet away for a 42" ... something like that) to see the benefit of the 4k in the first place, not to mention adding a new disc format to the mix.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:51:25 PM »

And considering streaming is what will really see the most benefits of 4k tvs....well, if a moronic government passes laws against net neutrality (which they will....without any understanding of what will happen), well, then online streaming will simply die then. And those tvs will be beautiful looking Hummers sitting in parking lots with gas at $3.50 a gallon.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »

Haha.
The government does want to pass that thing, mostly because of the corporate kick-back involved. Time-Warner and Comcast really just want to be able to charge for the amount of data used, forcing more money out of our wallets in the hope that most of us give up the cable cutting, stop using streaming instead of their commercial filled broadcast shows, and force us away from digital/cloud based lifestyles that they have less control over. They are willing to pay any political representative they can to make that happen.
 Wink

The four evils in this world

Media conglomerates (Control the reality)
Organized religion (Control the soul)
Oil companies (Control the power)
Pharmaceutical companies (control the mind)

Four of the six Infinity Gems  Grin Smiley And most politicians bank accounts are being fed by most all of them.

Thus ends my soap box for today
 Grin

krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:44 AM »

There are blu-ray players that will upscale to near 4K resolution.  The problem, of course, is that there's no real content available (at least in the physical sense).  There have been a small selection of blu-rays that were (re)mastered in 4K, but obviously they were never shot natively that way.  I know that Netflix offers streaming in 4K for a price and that some sporting events as well as the show BLACKLIST were shot in 4K.

And you're right, Perry.  To fully appreciate the added resolution, you need a large screen and be at an optimal distance.  Ugh... don't even get me started on the joke that is Samsungs "CURVED" display.

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:54:18 AM »

Ugh... don't even get me started on the joke that is Samsungs "CURVED" display.

HAHAHA, noooo doubt. Samsung make the absolute best tvs on the market, in my eyes, but man did they try and push the limits of even my fandom with that crap.
 Cheesy

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 09:53:26 PM »

Recently, a buddy gave me his laserdisc player and I watched the original Star Wars on it. Wow! Those special effects seem so primitive.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 02:29:38 AM »

Ha ha ha, right? I mean the dog fighting of TIEs and X wings in end seems laughable compared to today's tech, but at least it still resonates!!

Gotta make sure Junior watches those first!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS