HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:48:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AXIS  (Read 12214 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 19, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »

Is anyone reading this?  Is it good?  I have to wait until it shows up on Marvel Unlimited buy I'm anxious to hear if its awesome or a bust.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:45:11 AM »

Very divided from what I have heard.

I haven't gone too far into why that is so, as I am trying to wait until I get all the issues to read, like a trade  Grin, so I have tried to avoid most of the conversation but some people are saying it is crazy fun (emphasis on the crazy) some are saying it is almost like DC's FOREVER EVIL (again, haven't tried to find out why) while others are saying it is just kinda "eh".

Either way, it is suppose to set up the new Uncanny Avengers so that is why I am in
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »

Was gonna wait until I get them all, but as I will have all but the finale after Friday and as slow as I have been at reading current comics, I figure it will take me months to finish anyway, so why wait?
 Cheesy

First thing I notice when reading this is that it reads ... different. I don't want to say it is too "prosy" because, for one, I am not sure that is even a word (is it... maybe?), and two, that is not what I would really call it anyway. It just feels different. I mean Remender has his style, sure, but that is not even the difference I feel here. I just cant explain it so I shall stop trying.

This series is broken into the three acts structure, at least it says so on the book, but having part one (set-up) already established in Remender's Uncanny Avengers, we pretty much jump right into conflict here, though I suppose that conflict can be set-up as well.
 Grin

Anyway, as for book one - part one ...

There are spoilers here, but the major ones, or the ones I think would be fun or better for you to find on your own are hidden, though you can always look if you want to.
 Smiley

Issue #1
Gotta say this was a slightly rough read for me. Just the way it was structured, a little bit of time jumping around (that was a lot easier to read the second time) and the like that just didn't flow well. But first, a brief "how did we get here". Essentially, for those that didn't know (and Uncanny Avengers spoilers ahead ....) Red Skull stole Professor X's brain and in comic booky fashion took his powers. fighty fighty ensues and then Magneto kills the Red Skull which only succeeded in bring forth Onslaught again, but this time he is Red Onslaught. Yes, even though with his original color scheme he was "red" anyway, this time you have to include Red Skull in his moniker so ... Yeah, Red Onslaught.

So the issues starts out with the United Avengers (the mix of Avengers and X-Men) going up against
Plantman... hahaha
and during the fight they are starting to really argue and fight with each other and even saying all kinds of mean things. It doesn't take long to realize it is the entire world that is starting to become full of hate, a product of Red Onslaught of course.

Flash to the Uncanny Avengers and the team there, that witnessed Mags killing Skull and his transformation, are still in battle with the Skull. Wanda, of course, gets taken over (as her Hex powers are so close to the hate side of the spectrum (My words, not Remenders), but Rouge, having just connected to a image of Xavier, saves Wanda.

The Avengers and the X-Men then arrive to fill out the roster and join the battle.
Scott and Alex immediately say sorry in a way that is totally rushed and reads like shit. Did not like that at all, but sometimes you gotta move rapidly when you only have years to plan  Roll Eyes

Anyway, so now the Avengers and the X-men are united and take the fight to Red Onslaught. Some fighty fighty happens and we also discover that Red Skull, using the powers of Xavier,
has been working on people's minds, in the back ground, for awhile now. Making them do all kinds of stuff to benefit his goal

And that is the gist of the book. Not a great book. Hardly a decent book .... UNTIL THE LAST PAGE !!!

The last page saved this issue for me. No other way to say it. This was going to be a 4 or a 5 on my scale but that last page pushed it over. Yes we have seen similar before and yes there is little difference in the original and this ... version (?), but damn I thought it was cool as hell and it really brought the entire issue around for me.

On the last page it is revealed that
Onslaught had Tony build Stark Sentinels !! They show up on the last page, around Onslaught and just look cool as hell. I just wish there were more than two, however, but hey ... still ... awesome!!!

As of that one thing, I raise my grading  Grin

7 outta 10 rounds of Scotch ?
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »

Okay, not a written review or even a few thoughts, but just jumped in to grade and to say (no spoilers)-

Issues 2, 3 and 4 were ... pretty much yuk. issue #2 had another cool ending, but it wasn't a surprise by any means. Issues 3 and 4? Well, they exist. I mean, not horrible, even though what happened in issue #4 almost made me throw the damn book.  Cheesy Not essential readin, unless you want to read this storyline  Grin stuff happens and while I didn't really like it, I can see the effort. These three issues are still not as bad as most of Fear Itself, but when you use that as the guide? Let's just move on.
 Grin

Issue #5 however. BOOYAH!!! This is a great comic. So far, I say you read issue #1, just ask what happened in issue 2, 3 and 4 and then come back and read issue 5. That will make you very happy.
 Grin

Issue #2 - 5 outta 10 "Here comes Santa Cla ... Magneto"s (Just an average book)
Issue #3 - 4 outta 10 pen clicks, that just repeat over and over until it unnerves you (Deadpool was great, however)
Issue #4 - 3 outta 10 no fucking ways. Hulk is ... no. Just NO!!!
Issue #5 - 9 outta 10 Funny bones. Great, fun and funny issue. If only they were all like this (or close)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »

Okay, finished this up and ...
This is not an "event". This is just Uncanny Avengers #26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34. That is ALL that this is.

Marvel heard about this storyline at one of their retreats and decided to turn it into an "Event" instead of just letting it carry on through the Uncanny Avengers title.

When (if) anyone every reads this, please don't think of it as an "Event" and you will have NO issues with it. You may not like the issues, you may hate the issues, but calling this an "Event" does this arc a major disservice as you go into it with a totally different way of thinking. If this was allowed to just be the issue numbers I stated above and NOT labeled as "Marvel's next big thing", everyone's opinion of it would have changed.

Hell, I know for a fact I would not have been so hard on certain aspects that I hated if it was just part of a regular titles arc and I may have disliked certain aspects as well. I went back and read Uncanny Avengers issues #20 through #25 (the last issue of that title) and then read issue #1 of AXIS as issue #26 and it read soooo much better. Honestly, yes there are some weird stupid shit in this "event", but if you read it as just a continuance of the canceled title, you will enjoy it more.

AXIS is NOT an event!!!

As an event - 5 outta 10 money grabs
As Uncanny Avengers - 7 outta 10 Remender being as crazy as he always has been.

Read AXIS as Uncanny Avengers 26-34 not as an event
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 08:09:02 PM »

Thanks for he heads up.  I will just read it as an Uncanny Avengers arc then and hopefully enjoy it for what it really is.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 09:59:28 PM »

Well, there will be one thing that I can't even forgive Remender for. Damn stupid if you ask me.
 Cheesy

But I was just getting tired of all the hate that sprang out of this "event" when people were saying somethings they would not have said if Marvel would have just left it as Uncanny Avengers. I can't explain more until you read it, but will discuss it then.
 Cool

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:04:22 PM »

Man, am I out of the loop. I know I stopped reading Marvel for a year or so, but when did all this take place?!?

Steve Rogers is old

Red onslaught?!? Really?!?

The Falcon/captain America is damn ugly and forced

Iron Man is black and gold

Apocalypse is a kid

Thor has no shirt hahaha

There's more, but if you can fill me in that would be great.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 11:02:29 PM »

Man, am I out of the loop. I know I stopped reading Marvel for a year or so, but when did all this take place?!?

Steve Rogers is old

Happened in Remenders FANTASTIC first run of Captain America. Yes, I said fantastic, but only after that damn JRjr left the book. It was still a grand story when he was on art, but the title blew off the charts with the greatness when he left. As for why Cap is old ...
Essentailly a bad guy took his super soldier serium away, so he aged close to where he would have been

Red onslaught?!? Really?!?

Yep, again, if that story would have been allowed to stay just in the title, and not forced into a stupid event, it would ... okay, it would have been crazy, but not as bad as it ended up being. Marvel really fucked up on that. But now we have White Skull, so that should be ... interesting to see what they do? I think? (Yes, I know the name is dumb, but I like the idea behind it. If I wasn't reading it, I would also say it was dumb so I blame no-one. But everyone should be reading Remenders shit. ALL OF IT!!!)

The Falcon/captain America is damn ugly and forced

Nope and nope.  Smiley Just don't agree here. Nothing else really to say I suppose.
 Cheesy

Iron Man is black and gold

Ummm ... well ... Iron Man has been reverted to a more egotistical ass form of his old self, but other than that, I don't know what is going on with him

Apocalypse is a kid

Happened waaaay back in the early part of WOLVERINE and the X-MEN, but then taking to higher, more amazing reading in Remenders X-FORCE and then even further in his incredible UNCANNY AVENGERS run. Evan (yes, his name is Evan) was a very enjoyable character ... and so was both of those damn runs of XFORCE and UNCANNY AVENGERS. Some of the best reads from Marvel I have read.

Thor has no shirt hahaha

Thor has no Hammer. That causes Asgardians to lose clothing.  Grin (Yeah, no idea why he is shirtless now)  
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:06:53 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »

So yeah, as a fan of Uncanny AVengers (I have the 5 trades on the shelf behind me), I should like this, right? It's Remenders's big Avengers story carried forth, which then carries into the next Uncanny Avengers volume...so I should get this, right?  Cool

Also, got my tax refund, and am looking at the 10% of that I get to use for dumb fun money. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »

So yeah, as a fan of Uncanny AVengers (I have the 5 trades on the shelf behind me), I should like this, right? It's Remenders's big Avengers story carried forth, which then carries into the next Uncanny Avengers volume...so I should get this, right?  Cool

Ummmm, I can't recommend it as a buy, Jimmy, unless you are getting a very good deal. I am not sure if it was the change from originally being planned as a story in Uncanny to its final promotion heavy destination of being a Marvel "Event" that wore on me or if it was just that I didn't care for a certain Hulk thing ... but either way ... I mean, I am glad I read it and it does have Remenders flare for crazy ass shit  Grin, but as a collection I wouldn't pay too much for it.

If you do get it all I can say is please, for the love of God, forget everything you have heard about it being an event. Don't look at the damn banners on the cover, just think of it as issues 20 ... something ... what were the issues .... just think of it as the last 9 issues of Remender's last Uncanny run, ignore the Hulk aspect (Ugh) and you may enjoy it.

I did, enjoy it that is, and it does have some important shit that sticks around (involving Sabertooth, Tony and Havok especially) but still ... I am not comfortable enough to recommend a huge buy.

Cheap? Sure. Buy.
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 04:14:10 AM »

Ah good, I think that's the advice I wanted best. Even with an Amazon discount, the current HC is still over $34. I'm like...."eh.....maybe not for that price."

Maybe once I see it on Unlimited, I'll see if I "need" it for my shelf collection, or if I can just skip it.

Now; Hickman's Time Runs Out? I think I may end up picking those up.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 06:05:29 AM »

Even with an Amazon discount, the current HC is still over $34. I'm like...."eh.....maybe not for that price."

And I concur. Too much for what is there, I say. Heck, even with the higher priced bookends to the story I think I only paid $25 for the floppies. Of course your average, decent HC will cost more, but opinions being what they are, I just don't think this is one of those that needs to be snatched up for anything much more than that price.

But heck, you're right, try it out on MU for an issue or two before deciding. You may want to dive in at the $34 price.  Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »

So, I've just finished up through issue 6....that's all of Act 2, and I just...don't...know.

Maybe it's because I'm not sure of the endgame of all this, or because I'm enjoying the Hickman world shattering event instead, but this isn't tickling my ivories all that well.

I don't hate it....but I'm waiting for something a bit more ...hoping Act 3 recovers (in relating to my tastes)

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »

I don't hate it....but I'm waiting for something a bit more ...hoping Act 3 recovers (in relating to my tastes)

It won't.

Again, this is nothing but a regular title's story that was blown all out to an "event" as a way to make 3 changes in the MU.

If you would have read this right after issue #25 of Uncanny Avnegers, finished this and then went straight into the "new" Uncanny Avengers #1 ... like Remender had planned  Angry ... then it would have been a "decent" Remender story.

Good arc. Bad, not terrible, event.
 Undecided

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS