HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:10:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 24635 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »

The team/combo of Ostrander with Jan Duursema was pure gold for me. Ostrander, while being a name I would probably call 'old' in the comics realm, hadn't slipped into being a writer like John Byrne or Marv Wolfman (retreading tired tropes with 'seen it done it been there before' writing textures). Ostrander's stuff nails it! Very fluid and nuanced with aliens and allies and enemies alike working at their own ends, all the while being illustrated by gorgeous, detailed art by Duursema. Who was timely and worked fast!!! So good! I think that's why that universe kept being as good as it was; all due to them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »

Speaking of the art, I* loved how that timed that series art wise. It was Jan for about 5 issues in a row, then a guest artist. But the guest artist issue was always a one-shot, so there was literally no artistic change happening to the main story. It was just a way to give the main artist time to stay caught up. It's so perfect that I wish every comic company would do it with every title.

Issues - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,910,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26....

All the green issues should be a one-shot issue, related to the title (like a characters origin, or a story from their past) but not essential to the story. We would get the same artist on the entirety of the title and the story, with issues that are almost like bonuses every 5 months.

I just loved how they worked that out.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »

Speaking of the art, I* loved how that timed that series art wise. It was Jan for about 5 issues in a row, then a guest artist. But the guest artist issue was always a one-shot, so there was literally no artistic change happening to the main story. It was just a way to give the main artist time to stay caught up. It's so perfect that I wish every comic company would do it with every title.

Issues - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,910,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26....

All the green issues should be a one-shot issue, related to the title (like a characters origin, or a story from their past) but not essential to the story. We would get the same artist on the entirety of the title and the story, with issues that are almost like bonuses every 5 months.

I just loved how they worked that out.
I ALWAYS loved that about the SW line, and that's how James Robinson's Starman title with DC worked too! Tony Harris had such a great style, but couldn't work that fast. So, fill ins were about the history of the various Starmen for DC, as well as 'a day in the life' of policemen or villains of the title. All the fill ins acted to create a larger tapestry of the full world of the Starman comic brand, all the while not disrupting a storyline with jagged art changes.

I remember saying at that time, that that is is the way all comic companies should run. Hitch going to be late 2 months? How about a small side story of one of the Leaguers reacting to something that happened in a past issue? How about a story of what Bruce Wayne or Steve Rogers is doing in their day to day life? Remember when that happened once upon a time? I'd like to see that!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »

I ALWAYS loved that about the SW line, and that's how James Robinson's Starman title with DC worked too!

Totally forgot about that. Yep. It works. What is wrong with this editors of today, Jimmy? Get this method back in action comic guys!!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »

been reading and loving the new SW books.

Just read Leia #1 and it is off to a great start and the 1st tow issues of both SW and Vader, both have been fun so far and really capture the feel and voices of the characters.  i can almost hear Darth breathing through the mask Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »

Yeppers, Vader was my favorite ... until Lando came along  Wink
(But I honestly think that is because I cared nothing for the character in the movie, and this really makes him shine)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 02:16:44 AM »

Just finished Lando #4. Damn I should have waited to read that damn thing. Now I have to wait an entire month to finish the series.
 Angry
One more issue left  Cry

If Chewbacca is close to this good, Marvel will be 3 for 3 for their SW minis. I know they have a long ass way to go to get close to what DH put out, but so far they are at least starting strong as hell.

Love this damn stuff
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »

STAR WARS ANNUAL #1

Annuals are pretty much a waste of time. If you want a meaty story or a story that is essential to your reading, you usually look away from annuals. Usually. Sure there are exceptions, but for the most part annuals are for when you have a few extra bucks and want to read a story about a character or team that you know is probably just a throwaway idea, but what the heck, you got the money. Annuals are just a little extra about something you may like.

The same here, with this issue, but I am glad I had the extra money.

There is nothing here that makes Star Wars better. There is nothing here that you have to read. But if you have the extra money (and time), this story was worth both to me because it makes the universe a little deeper. A decent look into the underbelly of the rebellion. A story of one spy, hidden within the Empire and his attempt to ... well, I'm not going to tell you what he was sent to do.
 Cheesy

Anyway, a great book for a lazy Sunday read or a fast MU one as there is nothing here that will change what we know, but it does add nice back matter. And who knows, maybe the character here will be used more. Which brings me to ...

... a question, Jimmy, if I may? Is Haarkon Dak a name you are familiar with from the DH Star Wars or any of the extend universe stuff or is he a new character?

I honestly don't know how people keep most of the names in Star Wars straight as the universe is so vast and the names are so strange and so many ... Man ... I just don't know how fans do it.  Smiley I just can't.  Cry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 03:02:31 AM »

Hot DAMN, Lando was excellent!!

Just start to finish, an amazingly crafted and well written story; fits into any canon, has such depth!

Lando's line "The only ones who know different are dead." DAY-UMMM, MAAAN!! Awesome line!!

Then, the ending!?! So very, very very good.

And Maleev's art, when put to a color scale, and with less inking and shadow work, what a great looking visual book too! Top notch all around to Maleev and Soule!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

Hot DAMN, Lando was excellent!!

You know it!!

Loved that mini.

I've said it before and I will say it again ...

Lando is one of the best mini-series I have ever read. Not just Star Wars' mini, but any. The fact it is SW based only makes it that much more enjoyable, but as soon as you guys get the Star Wars titles on MU (or if they are there, as soon as this title hits MU  Grin) it needs to be one of the first ones you read.

So good

(And probably not my favorite ever, but still very good  Wink)

And man was it.

I think the biggest surprise was how much I never really cared for Lando that much as a kid, then grew to see the 'coolness' as an adult, but still never found him a favorite, but when I read this mini ... yeah ... it all came together. Go Lando!!
 Grin

Now if only the Poe Dameron title could grab some Billy Dee Williams swagger  Undecided It is getting better, thank goodness, as that first issue was just boring as hell, but it is still not up to Lando standards. Though I guess that is almost an impossible standard
 Grin

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »

loved Lando and it was a very good story and gave some depth to the chanracter as well as
poor
Lobo.  Loved the twins too.  just a very good read all the way around.

Chewy has been fun for the 2 issues i've read looking forward to the rest.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS