HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:16:14 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guardians 3000  (Read 7865 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »

While I wait for Jimbo to come back to us in spending too much money on comics  Grin ...
I decided to go ahead and use some of my Gamestop Power Rewards Points and pick up the limited cover of this book. I am not, at all, an alternate cover guy, but as this didn't really cost me anything other than some points that were just sitting there, I decided why not. It will hopefully stay with me for awhile, but I am sure I will sell it with the rest of the Guardian 3000 books when it is time to purge.

Pretty cool cover though (and only 3000 made ... which is probably a little more than they sold of the regular cover ...  Cheesy Cheesy)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:56 AM »

Very cool cover, but i expected more out of Dale Keown....

I just checked, and sadly I do not have enough points to get one myself....grrrrrrrr

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »

Very cool cover, but i expected more out of Dale Keown....

Is that him? Sure looks like his sig, huh. Damn. Didn't even look at who drew it, but yeah, must have been a rush job. I mean it's "pretty" but stiff and lackluster as far as covers go.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »

I enjoyed the first issue. Glad to see a reasonable future slang speak. The artist is an okay cross between Joe-Mad and Ryan Stegman's style right now. Kind of hits me with a "hey, this is pretty good for now, starting this title out!"

So, I'm still reading up to issue 3 at least right now. Cheesy

Why always the Badoon?!!!!  Tongue Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »

I enjoyed the first issue. Glad to see a reasonable future slang speak. The artist is an okay cross between Joe-Mad and Ryan Stegman's style right now. Kind of hits me with a "hey, this is pretty good for now, starting this title out!"

I get ya, especailly on the art. Still ... hoping this turns out to be a fun book that lasts at least 12 issues  Grin

So, I'm still reading up to issue 3 at least right now. Cheesy

Grin At least  Smiley

Why always the Badoon?!!!!  Tongue Cool

Bad aliens from the future baby. Didn't they premiere in the original Guardians title and that is why they are here?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »

It's possible Perry; although, weren't they part of the Avengers mega arc Invasion thing? Infinity? They're always in the background. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »

No idea.  Cheesy Haven't read INFINITY yet. Stopped buying Avengers and New before it started and have not yet got the hardcovers.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »

Well, then I'm glad I didn't say anything spoilery! Pfew! Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »

Well, then I'm glad I didn't say anything spoilery! Pfew! Cheesy

Cheesy
Well you and me both, buddy  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »

Issue #2

Got to be honest and say that the art work in this issue really bothered me in spots. Really seemed muddy ... too hard to distinguish what what going on in some panels (especially with the splash pages). I was bothered by the art so much so that about 1/4 of the way through the book, I was wondering if I was gonna go ahead and drop my pre-order for issue #4. I wasn't totally out of the title due to the art, but there was a twinge about dropping the title.

However, just after that said 1/4 mark, things started to gel with the writing and the art. The art got a lot better (I honestly think this artist works better when confined to the smaller panels) and the writing just started to pop again. Martinex started to shine more as a character. Thinngs are brought up that have me intrigued. Like the upcoming "jump event" that Gladiator discussed. An event the Gladiator has already experienced while Vance has not. Bit it will happen. And the mention of that herald of the "Old Hunger", which is "an old gravitational force" (?... Galactus or ...?) and of course the return of The Captain America and the threat of The Stark (classic stuff) all have me pretty excited about the future of this title.
 Smiley

Yep, I was worried, but I am solidly back on board now.

Jimmy, if you are still signed up for MarvUnl, I totally get you wanting to just read this title there. There is nothing here that demands reading the month it comes out, so I get it if you just go there for this title, so don't feel obligated. I enjoy this title and will continue to buy it, but if it was available to me digitally in a couple months, I am not sure I would keep buying it. I would most likely wait for MarvUnl. I am not regretting having to buy monthly, but if you are ... make that jump, my man!
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »

I agreed with actually all you said (again!)

The art feels better when it's not overly layered in heavy inks. Like Joe Mad's work, you don't need just stark differences with the blacks and the color-color makes this stuff pop! Let it work that way!

But more than anything, I'm curious as to what I will imagine will be the first year's story. The Old Hunger (oh yeah, definitely Galactus), the cute references to old Marvel stuff, wondering if this Peter of Spart-x is our Star-Lord or a descendant, etc, etc.

That, and the way Abnett does a more 'classical' approach to explaining powers, using narrative boxes from Geena's perspective...yeah, I kinda want to stay on board. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS