HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:19:20 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 16576 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »

that just might be where i left off as that ep is very clear in my normally clouded memory

it was definately the Beard that helped TNG.

S1 was plagued by trying to hard to be TOS.  over emphazied over dramatic music really pulled me out of some otherwise good eps.  What worked in the 60s didnt translate well to 87, plus i hated the all-in-one jump suits...they just looked silly.  all got better once they added the collars and separated the pants...just the opposite of New52 Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »

that just might be where i left off as that ep is very clear in my normally clouded memory

Wow, that would be weird/cool in a brain connection way.

Right? I don't think I even noticed the change during in the original run when season two started, nor even later. Not until I started to see reruns of the past seasons did I wonder how the hell he even got the part looking all clean shaven and un-manly like that.  Wink
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Oh, I just saw Frakes on that Angie Tribecka. Have you guys seen that? Its like Airplane/Naked Gun. Funny as hell. On TBS if you want to try it.

[Side topic number one complete]
 Grin

S1 was plagued by trying to hard to be TOS.  over emphazied over dramatic music really pulled me out of some otherwise good eps.  What worked in the 60s didnt translate well to 87, plus i hated the all-in-one jump suits...they just looked silly.  all got better once they added the collars and separated the pants...just the opposite of New52 Wink

Yes, there was certainly goodness there, but you're right, all that forced effort to "be something" just kinda weighed it down. But I'm trying to remember if, again, during its initial run, if I found those flaws as glaring as I do now or was it a case of ... as I suspect ... me just being happy to see damn Star Trek back on tv and so that went (relatively) right over my head.

Well, except for those one-piece jumpers. Yes, those were bad even back then.
 Grin Grin

As for now, just got past Episodes 3:8 Meridian - about the world that phases out of existence every 60 years or so (One of those episodes that are a little too icky-emotional for me as Dax fell in love with one of the planets inhabitants) and Episode 3:9 Defiant - Where "Tom" Riker steals the Defiant to hit the Cardassian home-world. I liked that one okay, better than the lovey-dovey crap.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I never knew until a recently that Terry Farrell (Dax) and Worf actually went out. Not just on the show. I wonder what came first? I assume the producers seen the cuddling and decided to impart it in the show? But maybe the show affair started first? Do you know?

Also, totally off topic but I am waiting for the wife to come home with dinner  Grin I just found out today that Meg Ryan is with John "Cougar" Mellencamp !!
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I was like ... WHAT THE ... well ... you know !!!!!
 Grin

(And no, I have no idea how I got to the point of sharing that with you)
 Grin Grin Grin

[Side topic number two complete]
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »

Well it took me longer than I thought, but I am finally at the last season (again  Cheesy) of Deep Space Nine. I forgot how terrible ... how hard it is to watch ... that Kira/Odo relationship. When they first kissed near the end of Season six? Ewww, awkward.

Now yes, I know, I know, I sound like a Xenophobe, but just, no, I couldn't take it. It was so wrong. These characters coming together like that was just so wrong. But now, in this final season 7, it is rough watching them massage each other, cuddle, you name it. Ugh.

Cheesy

Pushing through this season just so I can move away from Terok Nor and onto another location and get away from this love that is so wrong.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »

My grand plans for watching all Trek shows and movies before Star Trek Beyond came out really fell flat.  I still haven't finished the last season of Enterprise.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:19 AM »

I stalled out midway threw s3.  Will continue but I just kept finding other things...went on a quantum leap binge at one point.   

I did watch wrath of Khan which still holds up amazingly well and is by far the best if the trek films

Won't be back to trek for abit as I still haven't seen cage or stranger thing...both highly recommend.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 12:48:54 PM »

My grand plans for watching all Trek shows and movies before Star Trek Beyond came out really fell flat.  I still haven't finished the last season of Enterprise.

Well now that you're done with Cage ...  Wink

I stalled out midway threw s3.  Will continue but I just kept finding other things...went on a quantum leap binge at one point.

Oh yeah, after season 3 is when it gets really good as I am sure you know. Well, up until the last couple episodes of season 6, which is still good, other than a couple things I personally have issues with
 Cheesy
You have to get back on it, buddy

I did watch wrath of Khan which still holds up amazingly well and is by far the best if the trek films

It damn sure does and it damn sure is. Speak that truth !!!!

Won't be back to trek for abit as I still haven't seen cage or stranger thing...both highly recommend.

Dude!!! get on both. Today. Drop everything else. Your job? Nope, quit that sucker!!! Watching Star Trek Deep Space Nine? HELL NO!!! Get on these two series.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »

unfortunately both my kids are away at school or in the Army so my watching buddies arnt around to keep me focused.  My daughter was home the other weekend and we watched the 1st 3 eps of Stranger but i fell asleep towards the end and never got back top it.

my wife can give or take sci fi but did join us for those eps so i need to give her a push this weekend and hopefully wrap up that series.

Cage i'll have to do on my own.

now i need to find someone to see Dr Strange with...again tradition with me and the kids but i cant wait for them and my wife is not a super fan and when she does join us it for things she know and turn out not to be the best product (amazing S-M, SvB)   I know she would like Antman but she cant get past the name even with Rudd and Douglas attached.

She likes RDJ as Stark from the clips she seen when its on TV but did not really watch the whole movie

oh well.  Grin
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »

Grin

I am going to see Dr, Strange on my own I think as my wife has now gone and moved her Wednesday off to Saturday to get two days off on the week-ends, but that act has killed my Wednesday theater matinee attack plans. No way in hell I am going to theaters on a week-end nor am I paying $40 bucks to go at night.

I will sneak off to go see the movie at 10 AM Tuesday when she is at work, pay the $4 on base and be done and back before she comes home for lunch. If something happens where I get hung up and she gets home first I will just say I was at a hotel with my mistress.
 Cheesy
 Cheesy

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »

Cheesy  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »

I have started, this time, with my favorite series of the Trek Universe, Deep Space Nine, though I have skipped ahead out of the first season. I just didn't enjoy that. In fact, I don't think the series really found its legs until season three, right after the Jem'Hadar first made its appearance, so with that, I have decided to choose season three as my starting (or away) point. Well, actually, I started at episode 25 of season two, knowing the Jem'Hadar show up at the end of season two. Plus Sisko finally starts acting into the role around this time and not as damn cold or stoic.

Totally agree.  DS9 has always been my favorite as well.  But I usually recommend people skip the first season at least.  The series doesn't "grow the beard" until the Dominion arc gets rolling.  Can't recall at the moment, but ironically enough I think Sisko actually does grow his beard around this time (then later completes the badass tranformation by shaving his head as well).

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »

Holy Klingon!!

Terry Farrell (Dax) is engaged to Adam Nimoy (Leonard's son)

I find that so cool for some reason.
 Smiley

Sure she dated Michael Dorn (Worf) for awhile too, but that was when they were both on the show and well, that stuff happens, but this seems a little more ... neat.
 Cheesy

(And yes, I always had a crush on her  Wink)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »

Holy Klingon!!

Smiley

Sure she dated Michael Dorn (Worf) for awhile too, but that was when they were both on the show and well, that stuff happens, but this seems a little more ... neat.
 Cheesy

(And yes, I always had a crush on her  Wink)

Totally agree - she is hot.  Good for them both!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »

Holy Klingon!!

Smiley

Seems like I had read/saw that they were in a relationship.  Can't remember if it was mentioned on Nimoy's documentary For the Love of Spock or if I had read it somewhere after that.  (By the way, it's a poignant tribute to his father that is well worth watching.  Saw it on Netflix - should still be there.)

Anyway, yeah, really neat.  Relationships between actors on a show seem to be pretty common, but I always thought it was more interesting and neat when the famous actor falls for one of the "little people" like us  Roll Eyes , like the make-up girl or the guy that operates the boom microphone.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS