HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:25:44 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ANT-MAN  (Read 17844 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »

Damn it. Yeah, Using Chrome 99% of the time myself, so it isn't that.  Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »

Same here.  Chrome is 100% my Realmer browser.  (Well - unless I'm on my iphone - lol)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »

New Ant-Man billboard. For his friends.

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 05:25:07 PM »

Going to a Friday matinee!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 12:42:00 AM »

Another Wednesday, 6 days after opening, for me  Grin

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 02:23:43 AM »

my daughter is going to a sleepover Friday night and I am covering call at the hospital on Saturday so we won't be seeing it until sunday afternoon.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

I thought it was good. It's a different type of Marvel movie, that's for sure. It's about the characters and the people, versus the power and panache of super-heroing.

There are parts of the movie where I felt it suffered some-but that may have come about due to the script and movie direction going through so many hands.

It was almost a 'quiet' kind of movie. A little bit family, a little bit heist, and then some rah rah Marvel stuff too. Michael Douglas was great to see, I didn't hate E. Lilly, and Paul Rudd was greatly understated in pushing his role. Very cool.

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »

just got back with the kids....i enjoyed this film quite a bit.  as Jimmy said it not an all out action film so quite a departure from most of the marvel films...it was more like the 1st hour of the first cap film stretched to 2hrs.  very down to earth even with the hero aspect.  lots of time getting to know each character and their individual motivations.

villian was rather 2 dimensional but servicable for the plot and the special effewcts were mostly right on.  the ants themselves were fun and the humor hit its marks most of the time.

overall a really strong film.  now, where does it place in our film ranking...not quite sure yet but it was better than the thor films and i had dark world pretty high on my list.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:39 PM »

Well, I saw it again with some friends who hadn't seen it once. I know that I felt it had some problems, and now with the glare of 'shiny brand new movie' worn off, I am going to spend my own time waxing on ad nauseum.

THE GOOD
Paul Rudd & Michael Douglas: If the final script could have just spent more on time on mentor/student, I find that this movie would have really soared. Think of it; what other MCU movie dealt with this? All our heroes are formed through tragedy and accident of the times thrust on them. None have anyone to lead them through to a better place as a hero. Now, there are some small moments of this, but man, watching these two work really well with each other was a real treat.

Paul Rudd-I liked the guy in his role. I did.

The Ant-Man. By this I refer more to the 'suit' and the aspect of referring to the Ant-Man in the third person. I kinda dig this kind of talk when referring to a powerful magic item, the car, or whatever that exists outside of the hero itself. It was a thing of legacy, and hell, I liked the design of it. I could have done with a little more red in it, but all superhero stuff just needs to be blacker to be well received on screen.  Roll Eyes

Evangelion Lilly (yes, I don't know how to spell her name). I didn't hate her! She did well with what was given her!!

Ant-Man v Yellowjacket (and overall CGI) No lie, I really dug a lot of this to the max! There was my personal want to follow them a bit more with the camera (like, keep the camera on them, then see in the background how everything gets HUGE when they shrink, then come back into normal focus with enlargement. Wouldn't that have been cool? Wink End fight stuff was highly enjoyable.

vs the Falcon-  Oh hell yeah, great time!!! A little "eh" to those goggles always being able to pick out something the size of an ant, but what-evs, still cool. Cheesy

THE BAD

The story- Like I said (complained) before, you can see how much of this movie will lurch back and forth at times due to 2 directors, and the screen treatment having touched 3 different sets of hands to make this happen. And, if anything, I could spend ALOT of time going after stuff that really derailed this movie at points:

The Cops-  honestly, take them out of the movie. Why, after discovering that Scott's "lawyer" is really Hank Pym do they wait the 5-6 days to go after him in connection with Lang's break out from jail? And WHY head to Pym Tech and not Pym's house? Pym presumably has not been to Pymtech in some time, but staking it out after working hours on the one exact day that Pym was going to be there works out for them? Were they there daily/nightly hoping Hank would show up? Ugh, that is such a movie contrivance.

Lets not forge that when the helicopter takes off, those 2 cops have no reason to follow it (well, they could. I'll even allow it that they, as 2 super cops, decide to take off after a helicopter leaving the scene, even though it can go alot farther in a shorter time than they could possibly hope to chase). But they follow it...and even with a lone briefcase falling out of the helicopter-at night!-and as the copter goes to crash-they follow the brief case?! And wind up EXACTLY at the house where Lang and Cross are fighting it out? Ugh, such annoying contrivance. Terribly so.

The Villain- what, truly, was his purpose for villainy? The bathroom murder at the beginning of the movie-why do that? That was one seller that was truly against the Yellowjacket, and Cross was having none of that...even though another was going double how much anyone would offer in 1 week. Has Cross murdered many others up to that point? Was that murdered man going to narc to someone? For what purpose was he villainous there? If he has such a screw loose, why don't others see that in him and try to take the company from him, ala what happened to Hank? Also, in describing that the Pym particles to harm to an unshielded brain, wouldn't there be a lot of other techs as messed up? And for how long was Cross's brain being affected by Pym particles, especially considering he didn't shrink until the end of the film? Why did Cross come to Hank's house to kill him? Why kill him?! What makes a jealous man into a murderer? Why set up the 'elaborate cross and switch' kill scenario in the final unveil scene where Hank gets shot?

How did Cross even know about Scott Lang? What a clumsy reveal to just let it be known that Cross will know about Lang's past, and then therefore where his daughter lives so we can set up a final fight.

-Hope -   Yes, Lilly did very well in her role...but it was a role that wasn't needed. Or, it was needed and used terribly. She was better than Scott in all things, she saved the day against trained Hydra goons, and is held back by the man (her father, and Cross) in the movie to be nothing but a 'yes sir' character. She only gets to grow as a character because the men in the film allow her. Also, we get 'Hope' and not Janet. Now, you could have had any other terrible thing happen to Hank as Ant-Man that would have caused him to retire and not want his Pym particles out there. Janet could still have been out there, somewhere, estranged, or hurt and lost, but we've lost a HUGE principle character of Marvel's past. Now, yes, actually, it's not like the women of 1960s/70s comics were any kind of hero. They were always too weak to use their powers, were overcome by the moment, or chided and chastised by men to be quiet. So, yes, Janet's true worth wasn't realized for decades. But I'd rather have a Janet than a non-entity Elseworlds Hope character.

Scott's...history-  So...was he a Robin Hood character? He obviously stole from the rich to give back to the poor and taken. However, an electrical engineer does not make a computer hacker. Okay, okay, I can even explain that he broke past the company's security to get to their mainframe/main computer data areas. It still takes a bit more to return millions of dollar to hundreds or thousands of individuals. But, I'm cool with that happening. Really, I am.

However....he looks like a damned fine cat burglar too. Scaling walls, jamming security, intimate knowledge of bypass this or that...cool. So...was he a burglar before he did the Robin Hood act? Was he common criminal for some time before gaining the notoriety that got him in prison? I mean, he really knew how to make a fingerprint on the fly to bypass that lock, and then he recognized an old, archaic safe and knew how to crack it. Um...electrical engineer on the side of actually just being a thief? I mean, I have NO problem with him serving his time and being rehabilitated. That I believe! But don't paint him as a man who truly suffered to help others and went to prison for it. Presumably...he's been stealing before that? Don't leave me guessing! I can make up terrible stories about people! Cool

Insects-  it's not a (pure) Disney movie. They are bugs, they are not humans, making them cute or pets or whatever, blech. They are tools to be used. This is my own prerogative, and not necessarily a cut against the movie. However, more time was spent on the death of Anthony than the death of Alderaan. Cheesy

This leads me a little the topic of a (minor) failing...and that's the cgi time to watch bugs flit and fly through an area some yards away from the viewer. Much of the cgi does spend time on insects moving, with Lang on one of them...but not that we could see. So, it just becomes a giant cut scene from a video game-which we, the viewer, knows to be so simulated that it's boring to see. Now, the tight focus on Scott flying around in the middle of the movie, far more interesting. That's what I wanted to see; the extreme view of the size; to see how huge and grand the world would look from that size. I wanted more of that, continually.

However, spending such ordinary time on watching bugs crawl is not nearly as cool or as fun as watching the Chitauri mega monster ship flying in or watching hundreds of Ultrons attack.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:27 AM »

Jumping in real quick, for now, just to say for a movie that everyone out in the movie world "knew" was going to flop because of all the issues it had to deal with, I think the movie pulled its head up and held its own.

This was just what Marvel needed. A flop that wasn't truly a flop.

Was it trope filled as hell? Oh lord yeah.
Was it a "great" movie? No.
Was it worth me going to the theaters for? After a full week has past, I still say yes.
Is it in Marvel's top 10? No.
Did it bring more humor and lighten up the Marvel U after Ultron? Lil bit, I think
Did it do a good job of telling the story of Ant-Man? Obviously not as well as they could have done
Is it still better than the Hulk? Yep.
 Grin

Glad I saw it and in the end Marvel brought Ant-Man into the MU without falling flat on their face.
(The wife says it is her favorite)
 Roll Eyes

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »

Was it trope filled as hell? Oh lord yeah.
Was it a "great" movie? No.
Was it worth me going to the theaters for? After a full week has past, I still say yes.
Is it in Marvel's top 10? No.
Did it bring more humor and lighten up the Marvel U after Ultron? Lil bit, I think
Did it do a good job of telling the story of Ant-Man? Obviously not as well as they could have done
Is it still better than the Hulk? Yep.
 Grin

Glad I saw it and in the end Marvel brought Ant-Man into the MU without falling flat on their face.
(The wife says it is her favorite)
 Roll Eyes

And I agree with a 'Yup!' to all that.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 03:15:51 AM »

Forgot to tell everyone that I finally went and saw Ant Man this weekend with the kiddo.  I liked it.  I thought it was a fun movie and that Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas both did a fine job.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »

Forgot to tell everyone that I finally went and saw Ant Man this weekend with the kiddo.  I liked it.  I thought it was a fun movie and that Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas both did a fine job.

Shocked
finally? Just now? My god man !!! Even I braved the theater for this !!

Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »

Shocked
finally? Just now? My god man !!! Even I braved the theater for this !!

Grin

I know! I know!  Wife had no interest and as the kid gets older somehow MY commitments are increasing!   Grin

Lucky for me the early relase on Friday and my kiddo really wanting to see it gave me both time and the movie going buddy.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS