HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:45:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Falcon will be the New Captain America  (Read 8633 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 18, 2014, 12:49:10 AM »

Sorry Perry, I couldn't find a Fox News link for you but right on the heels of announcing Thor will be a girl, Marvel announced today that Captain America will be black.  This doesn't phase me like the Thor thing though.  I mean it is Sam, aka the Falcon, so it makes complete sense. And it's not unprecedented since several people, including Bucky, have wielded the shield.

So I have to ask.  Will they have an announcement tomorrow that Hulk or Iron-Man will be gay?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:54:21 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:29:41 AM »

Ha, I know Iron Man is in a white suit now ... not sure what that is about. Don't care much either.  Grin

And Again, many people have been Thor before as well. Don't get too caught up in the "This is a woman THOR" that Marvel is trying to preach, because it isn't ... really. Thor is still around, he just has an ax now, as he lost Mjornir and is no longer worthy to be ... ummm ... Thor. It's a matter of semantics, but Thor is still Thor, he just doesn't have his hammer.

The Thor thing shouldn't bother you anymore than Sam being Cap. Both heroes have been replaced many times before and will be so again.
 Smiley 

I am kinda hoping that the new Thor is Valkyrie, but as the new Dr. Strange comic is just around the corner that may just be me wanting the original Defenders to get back together.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:25:18 AM »

We'll if that's all it is really then it won't bother me.  Not the same as what DC did to Wally West.

I do wish they could get someone to write the Defenders decently again.  Maybe Lanning or Aaron.  They would have interesting and very different takes on the team.  Heck, mayb PAD.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »

The struggle with writing the Defenders hasn't changed in ... years. Hell, since their conception. It is just hard to find reasons for those characters to be together.

Aaron is doing a similar thing in Sin, pairing the likes of Punisher and Strange, but he is saying the reason for that will be revealed. Wish he would do the same with Strange and a few more characters in a Defenders book.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »

Just another chapter in the saga that is, and is being, Captain America.

I'm down for it. All is good by me. Smiley

We'll...see about Iron Man. Character was really trashed in my eyes by Kieron Gillen there, dontchaya know.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

We'll...see about Iron Man. Character was really trashed in my eyes by Kieron Gillen there, dontchaya know.

Never read any of it. I have heard something about ...Possible Spoilers ... maybe ...
Tony not being a true Stark, adopted or something and his real dad is an alien or something?

Hell, I don't know if that's right or even close, but something like that, maybe. Is that close?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »

I'm not surprised about the Kieron Gillen age being bad.  It was awful on Uncanny X-Men as well.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »

I'm not surprised about the Kieron Gillen age being bad.  It was awful on Uncanny X-Men as well.

That's too bad. I really liked his brief Thor run. Really good stuff in there.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »

Never read any of it. I have heard something about ...Possible Spoilers ... maybe ...
Tony not being a true Stark, adopted or something and his real dad is an alien or something?

Hell, I don't know if that's right or even close, but something like that, maybe. Is that close?

Pretty close

Howard & Maria Stark had a bun baking, but it was gonna be sick or somesuch, and the High Evolutionary said Howard's genius must be kept on in his son, so that the world has an engineer to keep the world safe from encroaching aliens. So, the H-E tinkered some and Howard's son was born-Arno Stark, that is. But he had to live in an iron lung, so Howard adopted another son, named him Tony, and both nature & nurture sons grew up to be brilliant engineer wunderkinds.  Roll Eyes

That's about the pace of it for Gillen's Iron Man work.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

Hmmm, thanks for that.  Cool I understand better. And ... no thanks for that also  Wink.

But, the great things about comics ... nothing is cannon forever.

Grin

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »

Sam's been teased a couple of times to take the role of Cap.  Perhaps even more, but 2 times is all that comes to mind.  Once when Rogers was shot a few years back and the other when Cap became "The Captain" and John Walker took over.

As "gimmick" as it might be, it's great to finally see it.  It interests me far more than when Bucky took over.

Does anyone know if Sam will keep the wings while in the Cap role?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »

Does anyone know if Sam will keep the wings while in the Cap role?

Saw one pic with him with them. And I think (not sure) that I read Remender discuss how different this Cap will be, being able to fly, and talk to birds.
 Grin

I say not sure because, well, some days the drugs hit harder than other days and sometimes dreams seem real. So it could be all a dream.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »

I found visual confirmation: http://comicrelated.com/news/26244/marvel-house-of-ideas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS