HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:41:24 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DC....going to hit a crisis?  (Read 4832 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: June 03, 2014, 05:37:37 AM »

Forever Evil Spoilers

The Anti-Monitor is shown to be the great evil that the CSA fled Earth-3 for.

Now, I've said, and it may have been here, that NOW is a time to resettle the new 52. I'll point to some great words from a CBR editorialist I like on occasion. He talks about the 30 year anniversary of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the difference that made versus the New 52 change.

“Ultimately, despite all their destructive qualities, COIE and Infinite Crisis are both intended as constructive stories — and not in the “by beating you down I make you stronger” sense. COIE replaced the compartmentalized Multiverse with a unified, legacy-oriented timeline, which Infinite Crisis reinforced and tweaked. (Granted, that structure had its flaws, and re-reading Infinite Crisis this week really brought home how vast the superhero line was nine years ago.)

By contrast, the New 52 relaunch was more destructive, stripping out the Golden Agers and most of the original Teen Titans, and enabling wholesale reboots of characters like Superman, Wonder Woman and the Flash. While that facilitated a storytelling environment that wasn’t restricted by so much continuity, it didn’t expressly add anything comparable to the legacy-hero structure.

The shenanigans of next spring can correct that — not necessarily by restoring the Justice Society to their familiar first-generation place, or matching up One True Pairings; but by smoothing out some of the New 52′s rough edges. Almost three years into it, the New 52 often feels like a place where if something can happen, it will; even if (to borrow from Jurassic Park) maybe it shouldn’t. However, three years into a relaunch is too soon to start over entirely. I see COIE’s 30th anniversary (and DC’s 80th) as a time not just for the publisher to reorganize, but to rededicate itself to the standards which can take it another 80 years.”

I tend to agree. Again (since I didn't say it the first time) I think NOW is the time to make changes. 3 years in, if there was a time to pull the plug and fix stuff, it has to be now while people still honestly care. That is, if those people are still there. I had hoped Pandora's skull would be it, but that turned out to be a weird herring to open up the Earth-3 universe. So, I sighed in exasperation.

But the fun rumor mill talk and speculations abound! With FE #7, and the tease poster of Future's End, could this be the time that some things will be set right for DC?

I certainly hope so. While I love Green Arrow "now"-it's just a great story that could honestly be retroactively told as a new Year One story. Cool. Go with that; no give me my older Ollie again. Aquaman? Hell as long as he's seen as popular or relative to the current DCU, keep on doing what you're doing. Wonder Woman? Crap, this new stuff is great. GREAT. Not sure how you fold that just right back in. Flash? OH man..going more off subject. Superman? Shit, we got a huge pile of whatever to clean up there!

New 52 has truly taken away ALOT without giving a bunch back. I think it's time DC returned something. What say you?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

I also agree with Tom. I would love to see it happen and I come from a different starting point and standpoint (fanpoint?) from either of you.

You and Tom are old school fans of DC that were scared (yet curious) of this DC 52 reboot from day one and have found your fear warranted with each passing month. I came from the 'new' (or not too familiar) fan that was excited about this new ... NU ... chance to get into this universe, deeply, for the first time and found my excitement rapidly waning with each passing month. I mean, we started from a different state of mind, yet over time have arrived, much like most of the DC readers I see, at the same state of confusion. And that state can by summed up as - what the hell is DC doing?

DC just screwed up from day one. They saw the numbers dwindling, looked back at some sales charts of times past, saw that the numbers were great in the 90's and decided that was what they would do ... they would take the characters back to that time (leaving Batman and GL, the books that were selling well, alone ... kinda). That is what this new DC is in reality. It is DC in the 90's. Lobdell? Nocenti? Krul? Levitz? Porter? Medina? Tan? Hawkman with hard spikes all over his armor. Flash with "uber cool" lines on his costume. Unnecessary gore. Unnecessary divorce/separation. Editors trying to be writers. Editors pissing off writers. Editors pissing off fans. And oh yeah ... editors not being editors. Welcome back 1994!!!! 

I could go on, but you get my point. They took a bold idea, one that could have been spectacular, one that I was honestly excited for and mismanaged it from the start, chewed it up and let it decline into the crap pile it is now.

They almost have to do something to fix this mess.

Good news is I heard of at BC that Morrison would love to do a "long run on Flash". Maybe that could be the catalyst if this upcoming ... event(?) ... doesn't go as we hope.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »

Morrison on Flash would be amazing.

They definitely need to fix a lot of things.  Doing away with the original Titans and JSA only irritated long term fans.

My biggest gripe is that it makes no sense that Batman's only been around for 5 years yet has had four different Robin's.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »

My biggest gripe is that it makes no sense that Batman's only been around for 5 years yet has had four different Robin's.

Yep, you can't take 20 years worth of character/world development and try to shove it into a "MANDATED" 5 year time-line when there are side characters involved like that. But then again, this falls back on DC not taking the time to think stuff through and the horrible job editorial has done with this reboot.

Like this from Wiki about Red Robin -
"According to writer Scott Lobdell, after the continuity changes after the DC Comics relaunch, it was said that Tim Drake never took up the Robin mantle officially, but rather was Batman's sidekick under the name Red Robin. This goes against his own stories (Teen Titans #1) as well as stories by Scott Snyder (Batman #1) and Peter J. Tomasi (Batman & Robin #10), which all make references to Tim Drake's time as Robin. The first trade paperback of the New 52 Teen Titans series alters the issue to remove the reference to Tim as Robin, but the Batman collection contains no alteration"

Absolutely piss poor editorial with a solid lack of directorial oversight and planning. It is literally like they asked -

"How are we going to work out a timeline if we reboot?"
"Ummm nothing happened until 5 years ago."
"But wouldn't that....."
"NOTHING HAPPENED. Now go write, we reset in 3 months!"
 Undecided

EDIT - I want you to pay attention to the part above where Lobdell himself states something that is counter to what HE writes in his very own comic.

Yep, just like Dc in 1994. Just a cluster.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:56:44 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS