HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:33:30 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rate the Marvel Studios Movies  (Read 29995 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »

Okay folks, how would you, the discerning Marvel movie viewer, rate the current crop of Marvel Movies?

Here is how I rate 'em -

1- CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER
2- THE AVENGERS
3- IRON MAN
4- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
5- THOR
6- IRON MAN 2
7- THOR: DARK WORLD
8- IRON MAN 3
9- THE INCREDIBLE HULK

I could easily switch 4 and 5 ... and I think I should, but I am still living on the high of the current Cap flick so I think that is effecting me. But then again, I think my love of Thor may be forcing me to say that.  Cheesy

I could also switch 8 and 9, as neither is what I would consider "bad" *Not like that Ang Lee Hulk ... ugh) and should not really be last on any list, but just the others are so good ya got no choice.

So, how about you guys?

EDIT -
Or ... if you're feeling really "grady", how about rating all of the Marvel based movies since 1998, the year the first real successful Marvel based movie came out - BLADE!!! (You can include that Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie from 1989 if you want to  Wink, but as it was not a "successful" theatrical release ... made only $500,00 and that was outside of the US, as it was direct to video here ... I am starting with the first one that was, BLADE).

Listed in order of release date -

Blade      
X-Men   
Blade II   
Spider-Man
Daredevil
X2   
Hulk      
The Punisher
Spider-Man 2
Blade: Trinity
Elektra
Man-Thing   
Fantastic Four   
X-Men: The Last Stand   
Ghost Rider   
Spider-Man 3   
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer      
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Punisher: War Zone
X-Men Origins: Wolverine   
Iron Man 2   
Thor
X-Men: First Class   
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance   
The Avengers   
The Amazing Spider-Man   
Iron Man 3
The Wolverine   
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I will have to come back with my list
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:04:27 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »

Challenge accepted!

1- THE AVENGERS
2- CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER
3- IRON MAN
4- THOR: DARK WORLD
5- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
6- IRON MAN 2
7- THOR
8- IRON MAN 3
9- THE INCREDIBLE HULK

I think I'm looking at the Avengers as number 1 because there has been more time since it's release. I'm very 'glowy' about Winter Soldier right now, but Avengers just gets to win out due to the fact they actually made it!!

But yes, 4 and 5 could be switched around. And I really, REALLY liked Dark World  alot more over the first one.

And I could even switch 8 and 9 around. RDJ makes IM3, but there are parts of that movie that just really irritate me. Hulk just suffers because of it's actors alot. I thought everyone was awful except for Blonsky.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »

1- The Avengers
 2- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
 3- Iron Man
 4- Thor: The Dark World
 5- Captain America: The First Avenger
 6- Spider-Man
 7- The Amazing Spider-Man
 8- Blade II
 9- X2  
10- Iron Man 2
11- Spider-Man 2
12- Fantastic Four
13- X-Men: First Class  
14- Thor
15- Blade
16- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer  
17- X-Men    
18- Iron Man 3
19- The Incredible Hulk
20- Daredevil (*The Directors Cut; cuz the theatrical release makes no sense)
21- The Punisher
22- Spider-Man 3
23- Hulk
24- The Wolverine
25- Blade: Trinity
26- Punisher: War Zone
27- X-Men Origins: Wolverine
28- X-Men: The Last Stand
29- Elektra
30- Ghost Rider
31- *Man-Thing (never saw it, but have a hard time imagining it worse than 'Spirit'  Cheesy )
32- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance  

VERY HARD to crack that top 5. Spider-man almost did it; I just know that First Avenger is a technically better done movie. That, and I recognize Raimi's movie mannerisms, and they irritate me some at points. And, it gets to go that high because, well, it's SPIDER-MAN! It was truly the first time he was done right, sensationally, and with huge fanfare and much love. It is sitting on a pedestal just below Superman: The Movie. You DON'T touch Superman....but Spider-man you can....but not a lot, to be honest. Wink

*EDIT Used to have Thor at 12, but moved it down. Then I edited 4 others! Ok, no more tinkering
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:59:15 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »

Okay, my run at it ... and I will try and limit me editing to only 2 or 3 times, though like Jimmy, I am sure I will want to tweek the hell out of this.
 Grin

1- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
 2- The Avengers
 3- Iron Man
 4- Captain America: The First Avenger
 5- Thor
 6- Iron Man 2
 7- Thor: Dark World
 8- Spider-Man
 9- X-Men: First Class
10- X2
11- Spider-Man 2
12- X-Men
13- Amazing Spider-Man
14- Iron Man 3 
15- Incredible Hulk
16- Blade
17- Blade 2
18- X-Men Origins: Wolverine   
19- Daredevil (Yes, the directors cut)
20- The Wolverine
21- Hulk
22- Spider-Man 3
23- X-Men: The Last Stand
24- Fantastic Four
25- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Surfer
26- Blade: Trinity
27- Ghost Rider
28- Elektra
29- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
30- Man-Thing
31 -The Punisher
32- Punisher: War Zone

A couple notes -

I totally get why Jimmy has Avengers at the top. Great flick and has that "I can't believe they got all these damn heroes together and are making this movie F'n work" feel. It is not scared about being a freaking' super-hero movie and embraces itslef as being one. I just liked Cap WS better as a movie, even though the spectacle that is Avengers will always be towards the top for me.
 Smiley

As I stated in another thread, I never saw Punisher: War Zone, so that has to go last, while the other Punisher and that Man-Thing are "films" that I just couldn't sit through. I was able to laugh more at the Man-Thing, so it gets a little more praise.
 Cheesy

Bottom line for me ... the first 11 are really stand-outs to me, the bottom 11 are all pretty much horrid to me, while the middle 10 are pretty adjustable up and down a few spots depending on my mood. I guess, collectively, I would list them in groups:
1-5 = Outstanding films the I truly love
6-11 = Great films films that really respect
12-21 = Really cool, lazy Saturday viewings. Watch no matter how many times I have seen them
22-32 = Really bad, I'd rather do yard work on Saturday than to sit through these damn things
 Cheesy

Also really saddened to see FF so high up on Jimmy's list. As an avid FF fan, I just cringe at both those FF movies. An utter travesty what the did with Reed, Sue and of course, Dr. Doom ... or in this film, Dr. Disapproval. But of course, in the grand scheme of things, he only has that movie 12 spots higher than I do.
 Cheesy

Here's hoping that the next 3 flicks coming out this year will push us to knock some films out of our top 10!!!!!!  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »

What can I say? The FF movies are a little 'safe' for all audiences, and really meant to capture all and not offend any. I can certainly recognize it. The beats were all there, and yes, it wasn't always a great song. But I loved Johnny and Ben, Sue did well in opposition to Reed, and Reed...okay, Reed was more than boring to me, but he really tried hard!

Doom? Heh...yeah, no. His manipulations in the second were at least more spot on to what Doom should be, at least.

And they totally fall into my 'love it on a Saturday' category. I can always finish them with a smile on my face.

Now, the third film of any franchise....all mostly sad. IM3 certainly tops out as best, and that was maligned a bunch in my eyes.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »

I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet, so I'll have to omit that one until this weekend.

BTW, Punisher: War Zone is a Marvel Studios movie, too. I just haven't seen it, also coming this weekend (in my Netflix).

1. Iron Man
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Avengers
4. Thor
5. Thor: Dark World
6. Incredible Hulk
7. Iron Man 2
8. Iron Man 3

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »

Now, the third film of any franchise....all mostly sad.

Almost like the 6th season of most every TV show  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:22 AM »

I like that Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »

Grin

Oh sure.   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »

I deleted the rants and kept the topics.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »

Understand  Cool

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:49:20 AM »

I thought Punisher War Zone was far and away better than the Thomas Jane version.........I actually liked it a whole lot.  But that's just me.

krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 02:57:04 AM »

It was a shame that Punisher: War Zone didn't fare better.  It was brutal and violent like Frank Castle needed to be. 

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »

And I just made time last night so I can finally check it out on Netflix, but it looks like it is no longer up there.
 Undecided

My damn luck.  Angry

(Started CHUCK instead. Only lasted the first two episodes originally, so gonna see if I can get past more)  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 02:31:55 AM »

I LOVED CHUCK!!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS