HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:19:05 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: INHUMAN  (Read 5607 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 12, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »

Issue #1

Okay, got to start off with this ... I will not be grading this issue. The reason, for those that do not know, is that it wouldn't be fair to either the artist or writer at this point, as they were kind of thrown together late in this titles process. All we will see, panel wise, from artist Joe Mad, is what the original writer, Fraction, wanted him to draw. These images are all based on a script that Fraction had put forth. Joe Mad drew what Fraction wanted.

Later, after both Fraction and Marvel decided to go separate ways on this title, it was decided to bring in writer Charles Soule to take over writing duties on this title. This delayed the book by two months to allow Soule time to write a script around the images that Joe Mad had drawn ... again, off another script. Knowing that Joe Mad is not, by any means, that fastest of pencilers, Marvel didn't want him starting all over from scratch and just had Soule deal out dialog and plot the best he could, using the panels that were already there.

I think we will not see a true Charles Soule issue of this title until issue #4 or #5, so with that in mind, I can't really judge the first few issues of this title as I would a regular book. I am not trying to be a "Soule apologists", but ... well ... I guess I am.
 Smiley

I guess I am because this book, well, was not the best. It wasn't horrible, but it was not great either.

I did like the twist of
Being introduced to the first guy at the bar and thinking that, okay, so this guy will play an important part in this story. Only to find him being blasted away a few pages later.
 Cheesy

I also enjoyed the "villain" (or who will be setup as one) and his intentions/desire that will make him just that. At least for awhile. But I am not sold on the "hero" as of yet.

Marvel is doing its best to make this a "must buy", because they want this title, these characters, to be their movie X-men (as they can't use Mutants), but I think they may be going a little overboard with the push right now. This is not the book you want to push. Not yet. It is just not that great.  I think it can be, but ... no ... not right now, stop over-selling this for now, Marvel. Wait until it gets better.

Well, hopefully better.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »

Hard to push a book that's not there or being put out.

Or what, that's Inhumanity.

Ok, I don't know this book then. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »

Hard to push a book that's not there or being put out.

Or what, that's Inhumanity.

Ok, I don't know this book then. Cheesy

Ummm ... what? Is this just your typical Marvel bashing post that you are due for?  Tongue

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 03:44:38 AM »

No, I'm honestly oblvious to this.

There's Inhuman, and Inhumanity, then?

I read 'a' Inhumanity #1, I believe. It's got Karnak in it, locked up, right? And that series as been derailed all to high heaven, with writer changes, a random one-shot of Medusa was made into the #2 issue instead, and well, #3 is...who knows where?

So, reading your post Perry, I was a bit confused as to if you were talking about the issue I read, or if you were referencing another series entirely.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »

Smiley

Okay, I gotcha now. Thought it was just Snark time.  Cheesy

No INHUMANIITY was only going to be a one-shot leading into INHUMAN, along with two other side story one-shots -INHUMANITY: MEDUSA and INHUMANITY: SPIDER-MAN ... as side stories. The only thing Marvel changed was to have the Medusa one-shot labeled with a #2, making INHUMANITY a two part INHUMAN intro instead of a one part, as it did make more sense AFTER Soule wrote HIS version of INHUMAN. The Spider-Man issue was unchanged.

INHUMAN is the series proper. That was delayed when Fraction left/thrown off off the book. They kept all the art from Joe Mad, as he was already paid  Cheesy, and brought Soule in to, from what I believe, make this INHUMAN brand more movie friendly as Fraction was going all "Fraction" on them.
 Cheesy

The entire process was cluster-F'd by the firing of Fraction, which did complicate the opening process, plus with Marvel using the same header-titles that they love to do makes it even more so (Nothing will compare to the incredibly stupid AvsX and AVX bullshit they did), but it is not that confusing once ya get all the stuff straight. Well, as straight as it can be.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »

Why did they fire Fraction?  I thought he was one of their golden boys?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »

It was a mutual agreement. Fraction wanted to take the title in a direction Marvel did not want to go. Marvel wants this as their movie mutants and I think Fraction just went too wild for them. They brought Soule in to write a more appealing to the masses title. One that could be more easily transcribed to film.

There is no hard feelings with Marvel and Fraction. They paid him for his time and he bowed off the book. I would like to say that I am sure I would've loved what Fraction did with the title, as when he hits for me he hits like a champ (Thor one-shots and Iron Man for example), but at the same time, when he misses, he misses huge (Thor and Fear Itself for examples). He is literally either great or horrid.

Soule is a safe bet for me. I know that I will ... or SHOULD ... like what he does. But again, we won't find out until issue 4 or 5  Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS