HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:12:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BATMAN - ETERNAL  (Read 8214 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:53 AM »

Issue #1

Well, other than a very interesting opening page, I found this to be a pretty poorly written comic. The artist and the writer(s) seemed to be trying to tell two different stories ... or at the very least not on the same page, as each panel in the fighty fight parts and the result just felt like it was struggling to tell any scene in a proper way.

The issue as a whole just felt disjointed and out of focus, even though the art looked good.

Truly expected more.

4 outta 10 - Bat signals that need to call for help  Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »

I'll do this in cheaply produced, 40% off pre-order from Amazon or DCBS. I learned my lesson when attempting to do this with Trinity.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »

I'll do this in cheaply produced, 40% off pre-order from Amazon or DCBS. I learned my lesson when attempting to do this with Trinity.

If it keeps going the way its going, you shouldn't do it at all

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:46:12 AM »

If it keeps going the way its going, you shouldn't do it at all

Ouch! Point~Perry

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »

Issue #2

A better issue as far as construction goes, so that helped make this a better issue over all than the first. Some problems,
like apparently allowing the Commish to wear street clothes in cell ... and not a holding cell, but an actual cell (something they don't do)
... but for the most part a minor gripe for me that does not detract from the improvement on this issue.

Sadly, the reveal on the last page is really no surprise at all, if you looked at the few panels in this and the last issue at all ... you saw it coming. Not a bad reveal, just more verifying what we already knew ... or highly suspected at least, but at least they didn't lead us on for another 4 issues, making us wait for it to be shown.

Art is still pretty good and clean. Fabok one of the better ones at DC for me, so not really a surprise there either.

I know I can't expect much from a weekly, as they have to make the grand story last a year, but that is one of the problems with a weekly. If you don't bring some excitement each week, it just ends up like an average comic. Kinda what we have here. Nothing bad, but nothing that makes it great. While 52 was a great use of the "weekly" idea, this is just ... well ... average. An average book with some good art.

I don't feel bad about jumping off of this at issue #4.

6 outta 10 flowers by any other name.

On a side note, I see the DC solits for July have the readers getting a 5 Wednesday month. With two weekly titles (this and Future), that is ten books in a month for readers. That sounds cool until you realize that that will cost the average buyer, without discounts, $30 in one month just for two titles. Ouch. If Jeff was still trying to hold to his $30 self imposed limit, he would be hurting.
 Wink

But hey, they get hit again in October. DC will then have their three weekly titles out (with Earth 2 joining the fray) and another 5 Wednesday month. So if buyers want to add that (though I doubt many will) that will be a whopping $45 for 3 titles in October. How many young peeps can do that?

And what is this that all of the weeklies will end in March, except for Batman Eternal which will go on hiatus? A hiatus? WTF?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:56:44 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:24 PM »

I don't get that either.  Are the weeklies supposed to all tie together?  I don't think so.

DC is just doing weird things these days.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »

I don't get that either.  Are the weeklies supposed to all tie together?  I don't think so.

I don't think so either, but must be an event planned ... something that will come out of the "Future" story-line, I guess?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »

I just finished Issue's 1, 2, and 3.

I actually enjoyed the read and the mystery.  Maybe because I read all three back to back?

I see what you mean about some of the minor things (in your spoiler) but nothing I would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

It's Scott Snyder so I'm expecting a good Batman tale and it seems like we are being setup for one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »

Well even though Snyder is the "show-runner", Scott is only writing the first three issues (and man can you tell when you read issue #4) and then he jumps back on for a couple more a little later on, so yeah, I will miss those issues.
 Undecided

And yes, you're right. With issue #3 it did shine more. It did get even better than issue #2, which was better than the jumbled issue #1  Wink, but issue #4 was kinda jarring. The art alone fell quite a bit. Not that it is bad, just not as good  Cheesy, but that writing also fell for me. It is absolutely possible I was looking for it to do so, so I could have the excuse of dropping it  Grin, but it did seem weaker.

What this title does well, relatively, is showcase the side characters. That is what is great about it. What isn't great is the last issue that showed Batgirl
hitting Batman twice.
Ummm, no. Again, what I will miss about this title is that it seems to highlight the characters I wanted to see more of. I wanted to see more about Spoiler and Gordon and the squad, but this just doesn't seem worth the $7 I was spending on it. I can get a SAGA trade for the same price so to me, I would prefer to go that route.

Although I can see why others enjoy what is here as again, it is showing what I want to see ... what happens to the people on the side of Batman. That is what they are highlighting. That is why others should enjoy this. But for me, as soon as I read issue #1, I kinda knew I was going to be a tad disappointed. But I am an anal SOB so ...
 Smiley

But do keep us updated on what's going on.  Smiley I do want to know. Just not for $7 a month  Cheesy (And my boy Dave just isn't a Bat fan, so he is not buying it. Thinking more about his lack of Bat love ... I'm not sure why he is even a friend, really, with that kind of brain processing)
 Cheesy

EDIT - Crap, I just realized that if I was to drop Batman, I could totally drop all my monthlies. I would just sign up for Marvel's Unlimited and be done with it. Batman is the only thing keeping me buying monthlies, really. Wow, if Snyder and/or Capullo leave ... Hmmm. Hell, may think on this a little. Put my Batman 1-33 up on Ebay ?? Could I? Naaaa ... ? Not yet ... Maybe?
 Cheesy
crap.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:11:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »

Issue #6

Seemed like a whole different comic since it did not touch on the main plots from the previous issues.  Plus I'm really not interested in Batwing.  I still like the series but this issue did nothing for me.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »

Byrne stole this issue today at the LCS ... agree with ya 100%, Jeff.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »

Issue 7

Much better issue.  Back to main plot and developing characters.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS