HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:50:14 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SPIDER-MAN 2099  (Read 14288 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 08, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »

Okay, so else is on this thing?

I finally get to get back into reading Peter David, as I am just not a fan of his current X-Factor and had dropped his earlier version of the same title years ago (due to X-Men involvement), this will be a great summer for me when this new title shows up in July.

Not getting this because of the 2099 thing or because it is a Spidey book, but only for PAD. He could write anything at Marvel, not X related, and I would be on it, but 2099 Spidey kinda makes it more interesting or me.

One of my favorite writers and a joy to finally get to read him again.

Of course this is killing my "no new issues rule" ...  Cheesy which will also be blown away when the new Dr. Strange title hits  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »

Does that include PAD on She-Hulk?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »

Ummm, does what include PAD on She-Hulk?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »

I'll be checking it out. The original series was fun at times. And I really like the costume. But PAD better deliver on some writing to keep me hooked.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »

Ummm, does what include PAD on She-Hulk?

He could write anything at Marvel, not X related, and I would be on it, but 2099 Spidey kinda makes it more interesting or me.

Grin

Was trying to find an image of She-Hulk fighting the Absorbing Man (?) where he turns into a shark.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:46:44 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »

Cheesy

God that was dreadful  Cheesy One of the worst moments in comic history. They can't all be winners I guess  Grin

(Thanks for putting THAT image back in my head)  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »

LOL

I couldn't resist.   Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »

Oh, I"m down. Especially if he's writing this like he was with X-factor 1-35 (or whenever Havok and Lorna came back to the team. Book really dove after that. That, and there was no actually Madrox with the team for the last 11 issues. Blahg.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »

SPIDER-MAN 2099 Issue #1

After reading the newest incarnation of PAD's X-FACTOR a few months back and then having that disconnected/lack of joy feeling that followed, I was kinda worried about our boy PAD. Was he losing it? Did I not enjoy his stuff anymore? Well eventually I just chalked up my lack of enjoyment of that title to me not really digging the art style, the new approach in theme of the title and the characters involved in said title. I had just read a very bland PAD book and that disconnected feeling had to come from one or more of those factors. Those X-Factors as it were (Yes, bad pun). Bottom line I was just not into that particular title due to those particular circumstances. Surely it was not my PAD's fault.

Then came this issue. PAD writing a character that looked really cool, sounded really cool and one that he had a really cool history with. And with PAD reuniting with a character that was, for the most part, remembered fondly ... as far as things in the 90's go ... things could only be better now, right? Sadly, no.

This wasn't bad. It wasn't. It wasn't fun or enjoyable either. It wasn't. This was just another comic-book in a long line of comic-books that are considered just plain ole comic-books. This was not an amazing, spectacular or sensational comic-book, nor did it come close to being a superior comic-book. No, this was just a comic-book. This was not what I was hoping for.

I am now worried about PAD.

5 outta 10 - Spider-Man costumes that look so cool, but have too much starch
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »

Dang.  I should have waited to order this.  Hopefully just a first issue anomaly?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 01:50:47 AM »

I THINK so. And it wasn't a 'bad' issue (and the art at times looked wonderful (while at other times, not so much), it just didn't hit for me. But there is a lot of stuff in here that makes it feel like you're jumping in at issue 4 or you at least missed an issue already. I mean the way characters are brought up ... if you are new to this "NUMBER 1", you are gonna feel a tad lost and that should NEVER happen at issue #1.

Its just with the way I felt after reading that X-Factor book and now this one, I am a little nervous about whether PAD came back too soon.
 Undecided
I hope it turns around next issue.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:09 AM »

I'd go as high as a 7 outta 10 Lyla's, or at least a 6+.

I liked seeing Miguel, I liked seeing the world, and world of changes with Liz Allen, and I just liked seeing Miguel.

A good start, but with PAD, if it isn't GREAT, well yeah, I worry too!

But, Perry has some valid points to it as well. I just sit a bit more hopeful at this point and will hang in with some more nostaglic, naive hope; tis all.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »

me too...i want it to be great and all it was was good...but better than a lot of junk out there so it will stay on my pull list for at least 6 issues, at that point i'll decide to continue to buy or just wait 6mo for MCU..
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 04:56:07 AM »

Skipping all the Spider-verse tie-in issues. To hell with that. Heck, I may see if I feel like coming back to the title after that. The 3 over-stuffed re-released trades of the original run rather hearken to me....That may be just enough of a fix to me!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »

I got the first issue and really liked it.  I'm waiting for the rest to be released on Marvel Unlimited and then I'll pick back up where I left off.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS