HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:12:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: eBay question for newbie  (Read 9259 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:54 AM »

With a new account and zero user rating how hard is it going to be for me to sell things?

Should I hold back on better items until I have some positive ratings under my belt so users trust me, thus getting more offers?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:54:15 AM »

I also just starting selling on ebay.

I've been frustrated when selling that something I've had up at the same time as another seller got nowhere near the price they did.

However, his ratings/sales were 500+. He was probably someone's favorite, or followed, or simply trusted because it was that high.

If you have something you want to get knocked out of the park, don't load it up right away. I went the route of putting something up that was liked and very popular (New 52 Flash). I didn't care about, but I knew it was hot, it got lotsa bids, and I made sure to ship very well and quickly. So, I started building from there.

But yeah...start slow. I still get frustrated. Sad

Then again, I'm happy when I find deals buying; so, people gotta be happy when they find deals from me selling.

Circle of (ebay) life and all...

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »

Best thing I can tell ya if you have a zero user rating is to start buying stuff. At least get some positive feedback as a buyer under your belt. If you can't got that route, than yes, don't sell any "good" stuff for awhile.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »

Best thing I can tell ya if you have a zero user rating is to start buying stuff. At least get some positive feedback as a buyer under your belt. If you can't got that route, than yes, don't sell any "good" stuff for awhile.

Yep.  That was the advice I was going to give.  Buy some things to get off of zero.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:38:48 AM »

Here's something;

is it rude to ask for feedback? I have plenty from sellers that haven't given me feedback, but what burns me more is when my buyers don't give feedback. Those numbers can really help me! Has anyone ever done that?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

The way I try to handle that with buyers (I've never had a seller not give me feedback. Who are you buying from?  Cheesy  Wink) :

As soon as I receive payment for the item(s), I send them a little note expressing my thanks, when I will be shipping, letting them know I will contact them again once the item did indeed ship (in case their are issues) and that I left feedback for them and I hope they return the favor when the books (or whatever) arrives.

This at least puts a little reminder in their head  Grin

After two weeks or so has gone by since the package has been delivered and I have not been given that glorious feedback  Grin, I write them another little note stating that I have yet to hear from them and want to make sure the package did arrive. That has worked more than once to remind them about me and feedback has been left shortly after that.

Another thing I do, as I am anal  Cheesy, after an auction sells, I will look at the buyers feedback and hit the "feedback left for others" tab. If they have not left feedback in months, even after buying stuff, I just won't leave any feedback after they pay even though it says I will in my auctions. If they don't take the time, I don't take the time. Screw 'em.

By doing that, I have also seen a couple buyers that I was worried about tend to leave all their feedback at the end of the month. So when I saw their history, I felt comfortable waiting, and sure enough, at the end of the month feedback was given.

Beyond that, I have never "asked" for feedback as I am worried, especially after leaving them feedback prior and not being able to retaliate, they will just mad bomb me for being an ass.
 Cheesy

But honestly, that is rarely a problem as I have only had that happen (not received feedback) only about 5 times in the 15 years I have been on Ebay, though that may be due to my anal, obsessive preventative actions.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

That may be the way to go though, Perry. Cheesy

I have this one guy, who honestly wins about a third of what I put up every 2 weeks. The second time through, where he even contacted me with "hiya, remember me?" and we chatted, I mentioned that yes, please, if I am doing well by you, please share that with feedback, as he had not left any on 9 AUCTIONS.

But I think I'll start your passive/aggressive trend. ha! whatever works, works!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »

....  please share that with feedback, as he had not left any on 9 AUCTIONS.

Damn, what an ass. That would certainly piss me off  Angry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS