HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:29:28 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gotham on FOX  (Read 16832 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »

No...no...I'm just about done with this show.

Pedestrian at best. Penguin is captivating to watch, but I can't stand-anymore, at least-pretend cop shows. When expediency and badly written scenes are merely there to reach whatever grandstanding point they want? Bah.

Also, perhaps I've made myself sensitive to this, but honestly? The amount of gun play and killing by the police is rather obnoxious. I don't find that something I like to see anymore.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »

Ironically I finally watched the first episode yesterday and thought it was pretty good.  Bummer.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »

Im with ya, Jimbo. This show is just not good. The wife is enjoying it, but I just get bad stomach cramps when I see the good actors they have scrape through.

I find I am enjoying the Flash more than any of the recent "comic booky" shows and that is while dealing with the CW feel that ingrained in that show. It is still, so far, just a fun comic book show. Gotham is weak ... and I am still having problems with the age of the characters in relation to Bruce, Arrow I still can't stomach, Constantine is not harsh enough and SHIELD, well, it is very good ... but only every other week it seems and it has Skye  Shocked!!!!

Of course, it is still early, but yeah, Flash is beating the living hell out of that Bat show.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »

Gotham has been axed from my DVR list.

Just not a good show at all and an even worse when you think of what they could have done ... an acurate rendition of the comic Gotham Central.

I will miss the Penguin, a character along with Fish Mooney I though I would hate yet ended up really liking, but I just can't watch this any longer.

Flash is also on the block, making it possible that I cut two comic based shows off my list  Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »

I like it also jeff, so you aren't alone.  I was skeptical with the balloonman episode (REALLY?  that's how he kills people? Roll Eyes) but other than that I have liked it.  I like the guy playing Gordon and Bullock is pretty good too.  the Penguin is awesome and I am really digging this version of Alfred also. 

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »

Still so weak at points. That midseason finale rather blew.

But I blame that on a horrible Selina Kyle character. Kids with uber street skills in television are annoying and grating on the nerves. Bruce & Selina interplay is nauseating.

Keep it normal cops and robbers, and this show does fine. The Penguin's machinations and workings have been brilliant. Most of the other stuff...not so much.

I used to count (did I mention this here or facebook?) how often Barbara had pants on, or was just hanging out in her undies. Undies won. All the time. What a waste of showtime.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »

One of these days I need to binge watch and catch up.  I've still only watched the first episode.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

You're not missing much  Wink
I stopped at episode  ... 5(?) and I don't miss a thing  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »

I quit.

It's official.

With Gotham coming back this Monday, my first chance to watch was with this morning's oatmeal. So, I started the episode. Watched through the first commercial, it came back to explore the presented problem, I paused, deleted it from the queue, and erased it from my dvr recording schedule.

It was so contrived, so banal, so poor that it made me grit my teeth. The situation to set Gordon up as a patsy to get his balls busted by his new boss is so laughably badly written and executed, it makes every Jerry O'Connell cancelled series look like Shakespeare.

I just fully came to a self-actualized realization that I find no enjoyment from this show. IT hit me. Sure, I enjoy watching the machinations of Penguin....and Falcone...but it's not a pleasureable, fun experience. Sure, Gotham is not about an uplifting experience, but it doesn't take me to a place of --

Right there I stopped and re-read all my old posts here. All stand true, all hold up, and all make sense for my current thinking.

I am done! I am free! I feel so relieved. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »

Welcome to my side of the coach, Jimmy.

(Wait, that makes no sense in that pretext as most sides of any couch is still able to see the television ...   Grin)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »

I'm giving this another chance.  I had quit after episode 4.  But I have friends who absolutely love it and its rare that I get to talk comics with them. 

Season 1 is on Netflix so I'm bing watching.  I'm up to episode 4 now which is pretty much where I left off.  DVRing Season 2 so I can watch it when I'm done with Season 1.

I'll report back what I think as I go through it and let you know if it gets better.  Strange that my friends rave about it as they usually hate everything. (Except Walking Dead - they love that too)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »

You'll have to let us know how that crunch feels after ep 6. So many hours....I don't know whether to commend you or tell stories of the man I once knew-before he fell to his inner demons. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS