HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 06:10:10 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Moon Knight  (Read 20900 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 02:15:43 AM »

I'm on the other side of the fence.  I did not like the Bendis run.  Making him think he was spider man or wolverine or captain America didn't work for me.  I thought the premis was dumb.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 03:41:44 AM »

Well, just because I won't read it..well,...okay can't go anywhere because I always end up hating Bendis work. Just curious how fans of MK thought of the book. Interesting reactions both!  Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »

I'm on the other side of the fence.  I did not like the Bendis run.  Making him think he was spider man or wolverine or captain America didn't work for me.  I thought the premis was dumb.

I think you missed a lot towards the end ... maybe ... which will certainly NOT help your enjoyment of it.  Cheesy

At first, I also was wondering if he was thinking he was these characters, and I really didn't care for the book, but it was made clear later that he was just thinking they were there and the book did get better. MK was visualizing them together and thinking he was part of a team. His dissociation crap created them as separate entities and then he acted them out as such.

Plus
with Echo being more fleshed out in the series, the relationship they had, followed by her eventual death, it really made the book a fun read for me. But then again, unlike the current Ellis run, THIS run at least had a Moon Knight in it, even if you didn't like the Moon Knight that was there.
 Tongue

But you like the "team writer" Bendis, Jeff and I am tellin' ya, it is just a different writer. Makes sense you like the one and not the other ... I sure as hell do. We're just flipped on the one we like I guess.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »

Not completely flipped as I LOVED his ultimate spiderman.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 04:10:32 PM »

Well okay, not completely.  Wink But you sure enjoy his team stuff more than I do.  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »

That IS true!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 03:15:28 AM »

Just finished issue 2 - Loved it.

Yeah the glider's too big but who cares?  It's a fun book.

I'm starting to think Perry is inventing reasons to not pick up comics so he can keep his pull list low.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »

Just finished issue 2 - Loved it.

Yeah the glider's too big but who cares?  It's a fun book.

I'm starting to think Perry is inventing reasons to not pick up comics so he can keep his pull list low.   Grin

Grin

No, no. Come on, you make it sound like I didn't enjoy the book.  Grin

As I said, it is really well done book. And I also said that even with the glider being too big, this book is a joy to look at. Also said artistically, it fits Moon Knight perfectly. The art is not, in any way, the problem here.

And to be honest, I also said I liked the writing.

However, this is still not a Moon Knight book. To me.  Smiley  I said I think Nightwing (as he is currently the talk of the comic word) could easily have been transposed in issue 2, and that is 100% true ... isn't it? Or I'm I honestly missing something? Is there ANYTHING in issue #2 that makes this a Moon Knight comic, other than him being in a white costume and throwing crescent darts?
 Grin

In fact, hell, issue #2 could have easily been a RED comic (if anyone here has read that mini by Ellis ... and not the damn movie that was totally different  Angry)

anyway ...

Combine that with the lack of Moony in issue #1 (and I am betting the lack of Moony in issue #3 ... though I am hoping I am wrong ... if I am I will be more than happy to jump back in) and yeah, I had no troubles dropping a Moon Knight comic that didn't have Moon Knight in it.
 Wink

That still doesn't mean it's a bad comic. It certainly doesn't mean it isn't a "fun book", it is. Just not a comic I wanted, and yes ... that made it easier to drop.
 Grin

Just like how GREEN ARROW is a good comic ... no, a very good comic, yet not a comic I wanted because it ties into the show I don't enjoy. But I still stated how everyone should indeed pick up the GA book as it is that good, it is still a good book and well worth the money, it's just one I don't want to read.

Same thing here. Much like how GA ties into a show I don't like, and that doesn't make the GA comic a bad book, me expressing how I feel that this Moon Knight comic doesn't have Moon Knight in it, doesn't make the Moon Knight comic a bad book. It just makes it one I don't want to read.

Wink

I love Warren Ellis, but I went in thinking I was getting a Moon Knight book. I should have just been happy about getting a Warren Ellis book.
 Undecided

And yes, I am aware that I am "protesting too much"
 Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »

ISSUE #3

A much better "MK" comic. This one actually made me feel like I was reading a comic that was suppose to star Moon Knight and not just any generic character thrown in around a story.

Art was, once again ... as every issue has been ... Just freakin incredible. One of those styles that look even better cecause of what the subject is. Know what I mean? Just amazing. And the glider is a little smaller now  Grin

My only complaint this time (at least it is not that MK is not in here) is the story needed another page to end this story correctly. The last page was very, very rushed. This harkens back to Ellis' style on Planetary. He gets real deep in a plot-line, builds the tension like a temple, and then BAM, it ends with little fan fare or true closure. Kinda sucks.

Still a much better MK issue (yes, I know I keep going back to that, but THAT is what really bugged me before.)

8 out of 10 punk ghosts. (could have easily been a 9 if it had another page)
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »

Well, I guess you can just eagerly await the next writer since Ellis is done with the title at #6. What crap.  Angry

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »

Well, I guess you can just eagerly await the next writer since Ellis is done with the title at #6. What crap.  Angry

Yep, another thing that bugs me about Ellis. I was expecting no more than 12, the norm, but 6 is no shock. Just really suspect he had 6 "non-specific hero" stories lying in a drawer somewhere and figured he needed to get rid of them anyway, so why not Moon Knight?

I know you guys like what was on the page, and so do I, but I will still go to my grave knowing ... thinking ... that his MK was just that ... drawer material he had that he tweaked around MK.
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

Yep, another thing that bugs me about Ellis. I was expecting no more than 12, the norm, but 6 is no shock. Just really suspect he had 6 "non-specific hero" stories lying in a drawer somewhere and figured he needed to get rid of them anyway, so why not Moon Knight?

... drawer material he had that he tweaked around MK.
 Wink

I'm not even sure I would throw this at Ellis' feet. I'd almost say it was a Marvel editorial thing. And rightly so; want to restart a Nova ongoing? Get Loeb and Mcguinness to jumpstart that title due to their following, and they leave within 6 issues. Nova, Moon Knight, Secret Avengers, Hulk; it just seems their norm.

But yeah, I was hoping it could be strung out for a year at least.

Oh well, another 6 issues to sell in 3-5 months....Along with Waid's brief Hulk run....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »

I'm enjoying it but I agree its not a keeper at this point.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:10 AM »

I'm not even sure I would throw this at Ellis' feet. I'd almost say it was a Marvel editorial thing.

Absolutely. I agree and that is why I think this title was not Moon Knight. Marvel called and said something along the lines of "Hey, we are thinking about re-starting Moon Knight and you sure make a killing when you write. Got any ideas?"
"Sure, I have some stories laying around I can modify slightly by putting the character in a white cowl. About six anyway."
"Great, just what we were looking for. A popular writer to come in and get the sales started for a couple months until we find a more semi-permanent team. Thanks Warren."
"You bet, mate"

I'm telling ya, I said it since the first issue ... these were not MK stories.    Tongue

Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 01:43:11 AM »

ISSUE #4

Okay, yes, we get a little bit of Moon Knight connection here making this more of a Moon Knight issue than prior issues for me, but that ending? Man, I though last months issue was rushed. Compared to this, that issue was 40 plus pages. I mean could this ending have been more cut off? build up, build up, action, summation, execution and BAM, close book. No closure what-so-ever.

Warren, my man, you are one of my top 3 writers but this shit is just ridiculous. Each of the last two issues has had no closure to them at all. I mean sure, the case is "solved", but there is literally nothing after that. No "what happens next", no story about how it happened or why. No true ending.

We gat to the last page and Moon Knight gives his speech about the guy burying a guy in the floor boards and then ... nothing? At all? Bah. What a complete rip. I don't need to have the ending spelled out for me, and I like stories that lend to your own exposition, but that is not what is going on here. This is like Ellis is thinking he has 23 pages to tell his story and then at page 21 you

Yeah, just like that.
 Angry

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS