HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:21:12 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Moon Knight  (Read 20899 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 03, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »

What do you think of Moon Knight's new costume?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »

Yeah, saw that in the previews before I ordered and thought it may be just a one off. But with Ellis, who knows, may very well be the "costume".
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »

OHmahgawD what a great first issue! w000oooo000OOO!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »

Arrrgh!  I have to wait until the end of the month to get it!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »

Arrrgh!  I have to wait until the end of the month to get it!!

i cut back to twice a month and i am dying to pick this up as i am a huge MK fan.  i really like the Moon Suite and car thou i hope Frenchie shows up somewherer.  also hoping we will see the more traditional costum at some point too.  very much looking forward to this and to see what Warren has in store for us
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »

No Spoilers -
This issue did not hit the same for me as it did for others. While I thought it did a good job ... hell, a great job of bringing us up to speed about who MK was/is, the story in this issue didn't "feel" like a Moon Knight comic, even though it should have because it had the proper tone, plot and atmosphere.

To me, this came across more as FELL issue #10. Moon Knight spoke like Richard Fell and the writing in general felt like a Fell comic much more than a Moon Knight comic. Obviously the art style, while very good, didn't help me on differentiating between the two as both styles have that nice "sketch" tone to them, but yeah, More FELL than MK here for me.

That is not to say there are not some good things in this book. There are. I enjoyed the art greatly and I thought the use of the colors were perfection. I liked the way the cops handle the events of recent past allowing them to even talk to MK. I also did enjoy the various ways MK used his crescent darts  Grin. Hell, I even loved the way it ended, as calm and non-dramatic as that was. But still, I just can't get away from the fact that the first half of this book didn't hit me as Moon Knight, but as another Warren Ellis character.

I love Warren Ellis, one of the best, and while I would be the first in line to buy FELL issue #10 ... if Artist Ben Templsmith ever decided to actually start drawing the script that Warren Ellis sent him about two years ago  Angry ... I want more Moon Knight in my Moon Knight comic. Can't explain it, but that's how I felt after I put this book down.

Still way on board for this title and I am sure that MK will be more prevalent soon, I just remember spending a few moments looking at this cover before opening the it, wondering if this book was going to pull a perfect 10 or would I end up throwing a 9 its way. Still shocked that the answer is neither.

7 outta 10 - Expectations, that were set way too high.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »

Issue #2

Artistically, comics can't get much better than this. The look alone really fits the tone of this book. It's not overly clear and kinda murky ... everything Moon Knight should be. Hell, remember those great Sienkiewicz issues. That look was great and so is this. It is also a treat to see the way colors are used here. They really set this book atop others visually.

Yes, I did have issues with the glider being a little too large. Okay, waaay too damn large, but still, even with that, this book is a joy to look at.

And then ... then there is the writing. Look, I am not saying it's bad writing, I enjoy it, but is this really Moon Knight writing? I know I was in the minority last month when I said issue #1 didn't feel like a Moon Knight comic, but damn it, I am saying the same thing again this month. This is just not a Moon Knight comic. Well, visually it is. I stated that, but plot wise and story? No, not much at all. And I say that as a huge Ellis fan.

Last month we had a Warren Ellis' FELL issue wrapped in the guise of a MOON KNIGHT issue and this month we are given a Warren Ellis' RED issue wrapped in similar cover dressing. Other than a white costume with a white cowl and a white cape, something we didn't even get in issue one, what makes this a Moon Knight issue? Nothing. You could have inserted any marvel character in this story and had the exact same results. Is this just Ellis emptying his drawer of one-shot stories? Was this an old Punisher story he had? Or an old Daredevil script?

Again, I am not NOT enjoying what I am reading, but I want a Moon Knight comic and so far, two issues in, I haven't read even one.

Even with that great art, this is just an average comic -
5 outta 10 men behind the mask

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

I dunno what to say to you Perry. I like it. For me, it does "fit" the image I have of MK.

My reading is this:

Essential Moon Knight
Moon Knight 1-30 (volume...3? Charlie Huston run)
Odds & ends of MK appearances throughout Marvel appearances

To me, (before reading Essential), MK was a bit of a joke. An amalgam of Batman, DD, and hell, Tony Stark. What I gleaned from all these appearances?

He's crazy.
He is violent. Crazy violent to those that deserve it.
He's odd in his doings, and always leaves you wondering if that when he looks at you, you wonder what he is actually seeing.

The second issue, yes, could have been any hero, I guess. Too true. The first issue? I thought that was exactly in the vein of how I've been "led" to believe who/what MK is.

Too often, however, I've been on the other side of the argument for Spidey/Hulk/Superman and been told by less...read? experienced? involved? empassioned? fans that I just needed to chill.

Now, I'm NOT telling you to chill. Not at all!

But I have no problem with this. I hope the whole tapestry of what they are starting here does develop into the Moonie you do remember and love.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:57:23 PM »

To me, (before reading Essential), MK was a bit of a joke.

I can see that. But there is nothing in these past two issues remotely similar to the Moon Knight found in that essential Moon Knight, especially the vol one part of the series.

I don't expect a character to "remain the same", but I do expect (want/demand) a portrayal of what a character is or what he represents. Both of these "Moon Knight" issues could easily be another character's story and that is not what I want from my Marvel Batman rip-off.  Smiley I want stories that highlight him, not vague stories that you only know Moon Knight is in them because of the title and the costume.

What made issue one a MK comic? Nothing, other than the costume and someone saying it was him. And the same can be said, even more sternly, for issue 2. These read, to me, exactly like Ellis getting rid of some generic story ideas he had. Could issue one been a Nightwing comic? You bet it could. Issue 2 a Punisher comic? Oh yeah. There is no Moon Knight image to have here in thses issues because ANYONE could fit those roles.

In fact, I will bet you that issue #3 is also a one-shot issue that could be filled with a vast amount of any other DC/Marvel/ Ellis owned character. I am thinking it will turn out to be a Planetary type issue that Ellis just could never fit into his Planetary run and so he spins it into a MK tale.
 Grin
Okay, I have no idea what it will be about, but if it is just another story that could easly fit under the non-specific, generic umbrella I wouldn't be surprised. I think Ellis is here for 12 issues or so because he has 12 issues or so of solo character stories he has to tell. But I could be wrong. I hope I am, truthfully, and I am very glad it is hitting for you, but nothing I've seen here hits "Moon Knight" for me ... at all.
 Undecided

I'm just finding myself lamenting the decision to get this and NOT the Iron Fist series that just started. I read that and, say what you will, THAT was an Iron Fist comic that starred Iron Fist. Not like this Moon Knight comic that doesn't star anyone ... or could star most everyone.
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »

Dang. All that stuff you just described sounds like an awesome read!   Grin

I know what your saying but that would be cool to read Ellis' one offs using Moon Knight.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:50:59 AM »

I know what your saying but that would be cool to read Ellis' one offs using Moon Knight.

Absolutely, unless you want to read Moon Knight.  Grin

Have you not read issue 1 yet?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »

I personally know how easy it is to miss a post (ask Jedicow), so ...

Have you not read issue 1 yet?

Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »

Lol.

Yes I have - sorry - been swamped at work.  I'm having to manage two teams since one of the other managers is out on military leave for 6 weeks.  And this week we've been dealing with the "Heartbleed" vulnerability.   Grin

I liked the first issue.  Nothing super memorable but I liked him in the suit.  I also liked the explanation for Bendis' weird run.

Definately enough to keep me coming back.  I haven't got issue 2 in the mail yet - end of month - but so far I'm enjoying it.  Granted, we're only one issue in.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »

I gotta ask you guys this then as well;

did you like Bendis run?

I did not, and will not, read it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »

I gotta ask you guys this then as well;

did you like Bendis run?

I did not, and will not, read it.

Well what we say really doesn't matter than Grin

I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the "crazy" that Bendis put into MK's head. How he worked the voices was really cool and the story was engaging. It would have been better if it wasn't a precursor to the delayed Utron event, but it had a good story regardless of that.

To me, it was right in Bendis' wheel house ... where he is at his best. Just one main character to focus on. His Avengers and X-men, what I tried to read, always seem to suffer from everyone either being totally batshit out of character or everyone having the same exact voice ... Wolverine or Spider-Man, but when he is on a title with only one or two main stars (Ultimate Spidey, Powers, Alais and Moon Knight for examples) he is a very competent writer that tells very good stories and a writer I thoroughly enjoy. When he gets too much going on character wise, he just looses it. Just not very good. For me.

Plus I like Maleev's art. And his style certainly fit this.

But again, as you won't read it ...
 Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS