HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:08:39 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bloody hell!  (Read 5438 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »

So, I think this may have been brought up, and 'm not trying to poo pah on comics, but have you noticed how absolutely gory DC comics are now?

I bring this up in the past few weeks where I read Superman/Wonder Woman #1 (Doomsday holding someone ripped in half), Earth-2 17 (Superman shown ripping bloodily through people), and I'm trying to recall if there was something worse shown in Forever Evil.

Even as I bring this up, and you start thinking about, it seems the 'norm' in DC's world now.

Have you seen more of this occurring? Or is it just me?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »

I noticed it in all of the villain month titles.  I would say almost all were very dark and killing for the sake of shock.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »

is it just me?

Nope, Nate and I had a brief discussion about this earlier ... I think. But now I can't remember what we said, how we got there or if we did or not.
 Cheesy

It started a few years ago when you couldn't go two months without a character losing a limb. But yes, it is the "Superman can kill" attitude. Bring more blood and gore and people will buy it. They just don't understand that is not how it works. But I have slammed on DC editorial too much as of late. so ...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:42:57 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »

The irony is that if they are trying to be like Marvel they are failing.  Even Marvel's universe doesn't death and gore in every issues.

Maybe they are trying to be like Walking Dead?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »

Sorry if any confusion, I edited my post with Jimmy's quote to show I wasn't answering Jeff, like it appeared.  Smiley

Yeah Jeff, DC is throwing waaaay more blood around. And that is odd to me because I would almost suspect the other way around normally.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:52:39 PM »

The blood and gore itself doesn't bother me a bit. It's the general feeling that the DC Universe is a darker, and gloomier place than it used to be. That bothers me, a bit. DC used to be the place to get a good, traditional, super-hero tale.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS