HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:12:42 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UNITY  (Read 3297 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 16, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »

UNITY issue #1

Well, not as excited about this title as I was before reading it. I have heard lots of good things about this writer, Matt Kindt, and he may be great, but here, on this issue, I was not pulled into the story like I was hoping I would be. It wasn't a poorly written book, but just didn't "wow" me.

The art didn't help. Not that it was bad, and I enjoy some muddled art every now and then, but I just didn't like it here. I stopped reading X-O because of Cord's muddy style and while this issue is a little more crisp, it still has that muddy look (but not in the great Gene Colan way  Wink)

Of course I mentioned I stopped buying X-O, and this first arc ties into that title quite heavily, so in all honesty that MAY be the reason I felt out of sorts with this issue (although I knew it would be tied to it going in). It really feels like a X-O "point" title, just a continuation of X-O, more than a title that stands on its own. Not to say you can't enjoy it as such, but you will definitely enjoy it MORE if you are reading X-O as well.

Really hate to drop yet another VALIANT title, as I honestly do believe they are the one company that is doing almost everything correctly, and I really want to see more Ninjak, but I am worried that after the next issue, I will just be jumping ship. Not because it is a bad title, but it is just not part of the universe I am reading about right now. I am sure when the Harada/Harbinger aspect comes into the title I may get the urge to climb back on board.

Of course for now, I guess this clears the way for ETERNAL WARRIOR to place itself on my pull. Though I am fighting that.
 Smiley

6 outta 10 Flaming Skull Projectiles = A decent but average comic
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:24 PM »

All I've heard/read about this is that Valiant kinda dropped the ball with Unity. If you don't know this universe and characters before this, this issue won't bring you around and into the fold.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »

Very true. That's an additional problem that I didn't even consider, being as I know everyone in the comic already. They explain X-O and the armor, pretty well to be honest, but really gloss over all the other MAIN characters. Good point.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS