HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:39:01 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Returning to Cap  (Read 5092 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: November 10, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »

With the advent of Marvel NOW, I did briefly look at Cap. Remender writing, Romita Jr. on art...well, I hadn't seen JRJr in some time, but as I perused the issues, all I could think of is that Romita is done. Just absolutely done to me. His style has gone someplace that I no longer wish to follow.

So, Remender's year of Cap in Dimension Z might have been really cool; I'm not sure, but I like how it has again set up Cap as a man out of time.

I eagerly jumped on with Pacheco on art; but for gawd's sake, get an inker on his work! His work is fantastic, muddling it up with painted tones ruins his line work. Ugh.

That, and I hate the comicbook'd up version of the movie suit. I absolutely hate the look of his suit. Back it off some, please. While the movie version was highly visually interesting, the Avengers movie did make the classic suit look, well, look good too! More suit lines, straps, strings, laces, belts, buckles, zippers, knee-, elbow-, shoulder-pads do NOT make a suit more cool looking. Too much of the 90s all over again, just less teeth-gritting.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »

Never read the new Cap, but I totally agree with your take on the "uniform"
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »

Well I just read the IRON NAIL arc of this title.

WOW.

HAHAHA. I really do enjoy Remender's stuff. He writes like he is employed at Marvel in 1973. Just way out wacky ass shit that really works when told properly. I mean
A SHIELD Carrier turns into a Shogun Warrior while a Gundam shaped like a lizard battles Steve, after said lizard had previously gotten his chest imploded by a giant dragon's finger-nail, giving him power to shoot tendrils out of his chest? Who then ages Steve with said tendrils after Steve had already battled and fought off freakin Dr. MindBubble, who's power derives from mind controlling bubbles that float sporadically from his skull via a pipe in his head?

Can this be anymore Marvel Spotlight? I asked my boy how he though Sam was going to take over, and he gave me the last few issues ... Holy Hell that was fun. Hooked on Rememder. Damn that was a wild ride. Had no interest in getting Cap until I read this, but now no way I am not going to order Cap #25

EDIT - I strongly suggest people trying to find this arc. It starts with a Nuke arc (I think it started with #12 but it maybe earlier... I didn't read any issues prior as Dave only brought me 14-21, but I was still able to get the gist of what that opening Nuke arc was about) It kinda ties into the next arc which made reading issues 17-21 (The Iron Nail arc) even better. I was never a fan of Nuke, but Rememder handles him perfectly. Yeah. Cap issues 10, 11, 12 or 13 (haha ... I don't know where Nuke started)  Cheesy through 21 are a must buy!!!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:29:26 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »

OH definitely. Remender's story turned really, really good. When Pacheco came on with issue...man, was it 11? or 12? Great, great stuff through and through. Remender is really nailed a Cap I love to read!

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »

Pacheco started with issue 11 when Cap returned from Diminsion Z.  which was really good despite JRjr.  I've always been a huge fan but even i am getting tired of his current style...Jansen inks do not help at all and actually accentuate the problem.  He really needs a a strong inker...tom palmer does a great job on Ki.ck-Ass.  Joe Rubinstien was his best inker.

I actually dropped the title at 14 because i just dont have room to keep buying/storing books and my collector bug is waning but i cant stop reading.  that being said, i did read 15 and plan to continue reading Cap on MCU.  slowly dropping more and more books to read 6mo down the road.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »

Pacheco started with issue 11 when Cap returned from Diminsion Z.  which was really good despite JRjr.  I've always been a huge fan but even i am getting tired of his current style...Jansen inks do not help at all and actually accentuate the problem.  He really needs a a strong inker...tom palmer does a great job on Ki.ck-Ass.  Joe Rubinstien was his best inker.

I actually dropped the title at 14 because i just dont have room to keep buying/storing books and my collector bug is waning but i cant stop reading.  that being said, i did read 15 and plan to continue reading Cap on MCU.  slowly dropping more and more books to read 6mo down the road.

Yes, that is my goal eventually as well. The way I read my comics now, they sit for about four months or so before I get to them, the change will not be glaring
 Grin

And with Romita ... I just loved his old style (Early Amazing / Contest of Champions), which he changed as to not be like his father  Angry, but the main problem now that I have is not really the blocky-ness (ummm or the use of words that are not words ...), but that he refuses to make children's head proportionate to their bodies. It's not as egregious in teenagers, but damn man, when you draw a 7 year old, their head should look like a seven year old. Not a full grown man!
 Angry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS