HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:25:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arrow Season 2  (Read 19416 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: October 27, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »

I really enjoy my time with this show. Is it Angel or Firefly good? No, not quite. But it's on par with Seasons 9 & 10 of Smallville (big time heroics, ramifications, and consequences, with cool names and costumes occurring all over).

No, I think the show is really meshing with it's self-built aura of what GA should and will be on TV-even more so, since it's more successful than the GA comic-and the fact that Diggle has been brought into the comic as well!

This GA I can get behind, and at least Lemire (in the comics) is developing the New52 GA into a good character-only a year and half too late from the reboot.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »

Glad you are enjoying it.  Cool

Was going to jump on the GA book with Lemire until I heard that they were following the shows GA in plot (though perhaps not a "tie-in"). As I just cringe every time I think about the show (I think I made it through 10 minutes), reading a comic based on it, or set in the setting, or anything just made me run away.

I hear the comic is very good however, and hey, the dialog has to be better than the show   Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »

Still digging this show; enjoy the movement forward; can't wait to see just how they'll handle having Barry Allen on the show, and YES!~ he's getting a mask!

This is the overjoyed 12 year old in me; sorry.

Carry on. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »

This season has been much better than the first. The first season felt like a soap-opera, with a few action-scenes thrown in. This season has had much focus on the action and Arrow/Canary's history, which I like.

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:04:03 AM »

Wonderful show!

Love how well it brings in a diverse number of DC characters. I wish new 52 could be this good!

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:20 AM »

To make Perry feel better, I will say that the Count Vertigo actor is terrible! Cheesy

Flash on the show in just one more week! Well, Barry Allen that is.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »

To make Perry feel better, I will say that the Count Vertigo actor is terrible! Cheesy

Grin Naw, man, I don't want you guys that enjoy the show to be burdened by such things.

I hope the Barry Allen actor knocks it out of the park

Gonna be interesting to see, if he does do well, if he will be the next Flash on the big screen and bring your tv to big screen tie-in together.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »

This season isn't just better, I'm calling it: Best show on T.V. right now! So glad it isn't the CW soap-opera it was last season.

The last few episodes in particular, were just so awesome. Diggler breaking into the prison to save his wife, and running across Deadshot. That episode was so action packed and fast-paced, it's what T.V. nowadays needs more of, and less talking heads. And it totally set-up for a future Deadshot vs. Arrow episode.

And how many comic book references does this show drop? It's hard to tell if we're gonna see future development with these characters or if they're just name drops to get fanboys excited. But I've seen quite a few.

-Kate Spencer (Manhunter) is Oliver's mom's lawyer. (Played by the hot doctor from Stargate SG-1, but a blonde this time instead of a red-head.)
-Amanda Waller (leader of Task Force X and the Suicide Squad) is Diggs' wife's boss
-Ivo Storm (creator of Amazo) is the baddie on the flashback island sequences.
-S.T.A.R. Labs is mentioned in news reports in the background.
-And Barry Allen is in the previews for the next episode!

Plus we already have the obvious connections of Black Canary to Sarah and Speedy/Arsenal to Roy Harper.

And OMG, that big reveal at the end of the last episode. I so didn't see that coming. I guess I should have with the nature of comics, but I didn't.
Does that mean his son could still be alive, too?

Anyone not watching Arrow this season, is missing out. And this is coming from a guy that gave up halfway through the first season due to it's soap-operish nature (which it no longer has).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:09:50 PM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 10:34:33 PM »

Glad folks are enjoying, but as long as Guggenhiem is invloved and it is on the CW, I just can't see it being a show I could possibly enjoy.

I may switch over next time it is on to see, but ..  Undecided

(But noway it is the best show on TV  Tongue  Wink)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »

Okay Nate and Jimmy (and whomever else watches this show),

I keep hearing how season 2 is much better than season 1, so I am thinking about giving this show another go around. But I hate starting so deep into a tv show, so is there a point in season one where the writing gets better? I mean, I really WANT to like this show (Help support comic shows!!!) but the writing in episode one (which I barely made it through) was abysmal to me (again, opinions being what they are) and episode two was just the same. BUt ... say after episode 5 or 6 or even 15 even, if the show finds its legs more, I may give it another shot (Just signed up for Netflix again, and they have season 1 on there).

I do see that Marc Guggenheim is a head creator, so I may just be sworn off this show forever as I am not a huge fan of his comic work or his small screen stuff, but damn I want to join in the fun.

Am I just a lost cause when it comes to this show or is there a point were it gets less ... well ... where it gets more Perry friendly?
 Smiley

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

I can't really say for sure. But I'd imagine if you're like me at all when it came to the show, that you'd like Season 2 a lot better. I actually stopped watching it about halfway through season 1, because I couldn't stomach the CW teeny-bopper drama of it. But to tell the truth, there still is a little of that in Season 2, just lot less of it. It focuses more on the action and his missions in the hood, rather than so much of it being about him and his family's interaction.

I'd just start with episode 1 of season 2, if I were you. It does refer to what happened in the season finale of season 1, but you'll get the gist of it. I did, and I missed the season finale.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »

Thanks my man. My indeed try that.

(Still will give Flash a go when it hits as well)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 11:40:32 PM »

I think season 1 started picking up more after episode 14 'The Odyssey'-Diggle is doing his own investigation, Felicity is fully on Team Arrow, and the stuff with the Dark Archer is going on, and Laurel starts to do more stuff with Tommy. I wonder if the show's producers can see that she and Oliver have no on screen chemistry? I truly hope they don't ever get together.

And the show gets waaay better, but yeah, not as good as Buffy or Angel of Firefly, but not as bad as Smallville in the first 4 seasons.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »

It kind of feels more like a Batman show, than a Green Arrow show, really (it Batman had a team working with him). He's a disturbed soul seeking some kind of vengeance he never gets. The show is very dark, but also more realistic than your average comic book setting. And he has the whole millionaire alter-ego thing going on.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:19 AM »

I still really enjoy this show. And I think it's a pretty good show too.

Love the big cast, I like the moments that are occurring, and heck, Laurel even shows a little bit of range now with the...latest revelation before the break.

I like that I don't know exactly where Ollie's heart, or sometimes, even where his head is at. There's so much I do want to see more of (Ollie in the public eye, Ollie at Queen, Consolidated, Ollie connecting further with his family-)

-Actually, not sure that 'Ollie with his family' is ever going to be as strong a thing as it was in season 1. I really loved the isolation of his pain at being gone for 5 years, and I feel ...to a degree, honestly...that the 5 years gone should almost always be thing for him with his family and in the public (considering how different he is now).

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS