HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:56:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ender's game  (Read 5742 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:51 AM »

ok...so the trailers for "Ender's Game" have gotten me intrigued enough to go out and read the book.  I have but 1 question for you fine folk...is the movie based solely on the first book or does it mingle parts of multiple books?  I am only about 120 pages into the first one, but if it mingles more than 1 book in the movie, I would like to read the others before I see the film.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:10:02 AM »

Not sure, as my desire to see the movie or read the books was derailed by Orson Card hate filled bigotry and his neo-nazi "overthrow the government" demand if gay marriage was legalized followed by his rapid and lack of balls retreat from his own statements and feelings on the subject once he realized money maybe lost by saying they were taken out of context.

Things like he did in the Mormon Times (quoting from Salon) -
where he argued that gay marriage “marks the end of democracy in America,” that homosexuality was a “tragic genetic mixup,” and that allowing courts to redefine marriage was a slippery slope towards total homosexual political rule and the classifying of anyone who disagreed as “mentally ill:”
and
He claimed that most homosexuals are the self-loathing victims of child abuse, who became gay “through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse.”
and
[W]hen government is the enemy of marriage, then the people who are actually creating successful marriages have no choice but to change governments, by whatever means is made possible or necessary… Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down…

I can honestly say with no hesitation that I am not supporting anyone with that brain wave pattern, no matter how interested I am was in their property.

But that's just me, and I am in no way suggesting that anyone that does buy his books or sees his movies share his feelings and ideas. Bottom line, if you enjoy them and his personal thoughts have no effect on your enjoyment, then you should buy and enjoy what you enjoy. Absolutely
 Grin

And hell, even if people do share his thoughts, that's their thoughts and I am fine with it. I will just not financially support those that feel that way. Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean I have to return the hate
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

I feel that the movie either looks like a mash of a book or two, but it also is highly NOT like the book as far as the trailer portray. I've decided not to see it, but that's mostly because Harrison Ford is in it, and well, he's rather awful these days.

Also, what I liked about the book, I don't see any of that actually occurring within the trailers. So, there's that too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »

...  because Harrison Ford is in it, and well, he's rather awful these days.

So no Star Wars episode VII for you?  Grin (I do get what you're saying however)  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »

I'm on the wagon that I hope to see Solo killed in Ep VII.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »

I'm on the wagon that I hope to see Solo killed in Ep VII.  Cool

Maybe part of his contract, as it is known that Ford wanted Solo to die.

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:45:47 AM »

Orson Card is a complete tool, but I'm willing to separate myself from his personal views, to check this movie out......the movie studio producing this film in no way supports his stance, and are trying their best to distance themselves, so I can't fault them.  The guy just so happened to write a cool sci-fi story, who also happens to be a narrow-minded idiot.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:57:51 AM »

Totally understand and agree. I think that anyone that enjoys his work should do so regardless of his idiotic personal thoughts. I think less of no one that goes to see this movie or that has read his books in the past and/or will read his books in the future. I personally will not pay one cent towards anything he is associated with, but that is a personal stance that I strive to place on no other person. Good stories are good stories and you should enjoy them.

However, I won't shed a tear for any money lost by a company (movie production house, comic company or whatever) that involves themselves with this idiot in the future, knowing now what he stands for and the hate filled, violent nature of his bigotry.

Is Card Hitler?  Grin No. And I am all for people having different views, even those based on religion (though I will never understand a God that creates something only for others to condemn), but when those views go from "I disagree with you" to hate and violent acts against a certain population and those that support the rights of EVERYONE, then yes, he should not be allowed to earn a living in the very country he is trying to overthrow and from the very people he wishes to hurt and hinder.

But again, that is MY view and it is NOT towards anyone that enjoys his stuff.  Smiley

I still hope this movie flops worse than THE LONE RANGER or THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH  Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »

So Cow -
A) Did you enjoy the books?
B) Did you see the movie
- B.a) And if you did, was it well done?
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS