HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:24:34 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D Villains Month Checklist  (Read 36951 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:15 AM »

What exactly was so good before the new 52? Other than Batman and Green Lantern, what was DC doing or selling that was so good? Not much, that is why they had to pull this reboot to begin with, because sales were crap.

Look, I know that most of the titles DC puts out now are ... not great, but there are some that are ... just like before the reboot.

It felt like the DC Universe. The heroes acted like heroes. And everything wasn't trying so hard to be dark and stylish. New 52 is almost like Ultimate DC Comics, or something; in the way it all feels.

I was really enjoying Justice League of America, Justice Society of America, the Green Lantern books, and I was getting into the Batman books before the New 52. And Flashpoint itself was an excellent crossover event (I just didn't like the results, so much). I normally like the Superman books, but right before New 52, in particlar, they were at a bit of the low-point, admittedly.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »

It felt like the DC Universe. The heroes acted like heroes. And everything wasn't trying so hard to be dark and stylish. New 52 is almost like Ultimate DC Comics, or something; in the way it all feels.

Can absolutely agree with that. DC, since the relaunch, has gone totally dark, sexual and brooding. While I think deep down that most of that is DC taking the aura of the best selling books they had prior to the reboot, Batbooks and GL books (Darkest Day more to the point), misinterpreting the idea that "that" is what made the books popular, and have since tried to force that general 'bleakness' onto every title in the DCU.

And while that darkness and lack of overall joy works well for the dreary atmosphere of the Bat books, the emptiness and solitude of space (or the graveyard as in Darkest Night) and a book about Greek Mythology (Wonder Woman), it doesn't work on all titles. Not all titles need, nor should they have, a limb being ripped from ones body or women's breasts exposed up to the nipple every month (Power-Girl aside. Best thing DC did was get rid of that ridiculous attempt at eliminating Power-Girls "boob window". Not because she 'needs' the "boob-window", but the other options they tried just looked stupid)

So while I don't agree that all of the DC titles are totally crap now ... and honestly think there are some GREAT titles coming from that company, I can, and do, agree and understand your rationale, reasoning and feeling that they are not "DC" anymore, nor as fun ... nor as good.

(And you should really try and pick up a copy of WONDER WOMAN. Hell, try and "Bryne Steal" about half a copy while at your LCS next time. The reason you have never liked her before may just be the reason you would love her book now. Mileage may very of course)
 Smiley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:17:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »

Can absolutely agree with that. DC, since the relaunch, has gone totally dark, sexual and brooding. While I think deep down that most of that is DC taking the aura of the best selling books they had prior to the reboot, Batbooks and GL books (Darkest Day more to the point), misinterpreting the idea that "that" is what made the books popular, and have since tried to force that general 'bleakness' onto every title in the DCU.

Day-um, Perry, you TOTALLY nailed it there!!

However, for Didio's side, he's got his sales up, and that's what he wants (even when not looking at the Villains month sales, monthlies are doing better within DC).

And Nate, WW is great, fantastic!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »

11      Justice League of America #7.1 Deadshot #1
26      The Flash #23.2 Reverse-Flash #1
27      Action Comics #23.3 Lex Luthor #1
28      Batman #23.3 The Penguin #1
29      Batman and Robin #23.3 Ra’s al Ghul and the League of Assassins #1
30      Batman: The Dark Knight #23.3 Clayface #1
31      Detective Comics #23.3 The Scarecrow #1

DEADSHOT
Nice 3D cover.  It's like the bullet's comin' right for ya.  Nice origin story too.  I like Deadshot from the reboot of Suicide Squad so I might be biased but this issue made me want to jump back into that title...almost.  I just can't take King Shark.  But as for this Deadshot issue - liked it.

REVERSE FLASH
So THAT's who the Revere Flash's true identity is!  Interesting.  I've heard good things about the Flash books and so far the villain titles under Flash have been decent.  I might have to pick up the Reverse Flash run in TPB. 

LEX LUTHOR
Guess what?  Lex Luthor is evil.  That's pretty much what this is about.  I didn't hate this issue but I didn't learn anything new either.

PENGUIN
Ha ha ha!  I like this Penguin.  Even though they stole part of the plot from The Godfather Part II, it shows the cunning and lengths that the Penguin is willing to go.  Definitely setting him up to be a force in Gotham after this is all said and done.  Hopefully Frank Tieri will get to write more of this character.

RA'S AL GHUL
Nice 3D cover.  Nothing too exciting with the story.

CLAYFACE
Interesting one shot tale but I think Clayface looks too cartoonish.  That may have been too distracting for me.

SCARECROW
I like the 3D cover.  I liked the story too which is basically Scarecrow going through Gotham trying to recruit Batman's rogues gallery to join the Secret Society.  Tomasi does a good job, IMO.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2013, 05:17:19 PM »

32      Green Lantern #23.3 Black Hand #1
33      Justice League #23.3 Dial E #1
34      Justice League Dark #23.2 Eclipso #1
35      Justice League of America #7.3 Shadow Thief #1
36      Superman #24.3 H’el #1
37      Swamp Thing #23.1 Arcane #1
38      Teen Titans #23.2 Deathstroke #1

BLACK HAND
Loved this issue.  The Black Hand has developed into one of my favorite Green Lantern villains and this issue keeps the love going.  I don't want to spoil the end because clearly this is going to play a big part in Hal Jordan's future but it was cool.

DIAL E
I can't decide which was worse, The Joker issue or this complete waste of time.  Bad story, bad art.  I can't think of one positive thing to say about this issue.  Even 3D cover couldn't save it.

ECLIPSO
Cool 3D cover.  So I read this story and enjoyed it.  Then I went back and saw it was written by Dan Didio and I said wait a minute,  I can't really like this story can I?  But yeah, I did.  Art was good too.

SHADOW THIEF
Another nice 3D cover.  I didn't know anything about Shadow Thief and this issue is a good introduction to her.  And a well written story too.  This made me want to see more of Shadow Thief and her story.

H'EL
Sigh.  This new 52 universe had the opportunity of putting Superman back in the role of last man of Krypton.  All ready we have to many people from Kryption running around and here is yet another one.  On its own, this story is interesting and I like how the time travel aspect deals with H'EL's origin.  It's a good story but hampered for me by my fatigue of everything and everyone in Superman's world coming from Krypton (Brainiac, General Zod, Cyborg Superman, Doomsday).

ARCANE
CREEPY!  But awesome one shot story.  Now this guy is pure evil.  Nice origin story and good art.  You also get Abigal Arcane's back story.  Big thumbs up here.

DEATHSTROKE
So now we know how slade lost his eye.  One thing I didn't like is the retcon of his son's death.  Instead of dying as the original Ravager he goes out in a blaze of glory.  Perez and Wolfman's Teen Titans was my favorite series growing up and anything that tosses that out of the window is hard for me to like.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »

39      The Flash #23.3 The Rogues #1
40      Wonder Woman #3.1 Cheetah #1
41      Action Comics #23.4 Metallo #1
42      Aquaman #23.2 Ocean Master #1

THE ROGUES
3D cover isn't that great.  But the story inside - excellent.  So far I've liked the Grodd issue, the Reverse Flash issue, and now the Rogues issue.  Makes me wonder if I should be reading Flash.  Nice history on the Rogues and how they got their powers.  Captain Cold is great as always. 

CHEETAH
Good 3D cover.  Origin story for Cheetah was interesting and filled with family issues.  Another dark origin which is pretty much the theme of all the villain issues this month.

METALLO
Not bad but not great either.  Didn't make me interested in seeing more.

OCEAN MASTER
Cool 3D cover.  Good story inside as well and good art.  Why did I stop buying Aquaman?  I reccomend this one as I enjoyed it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

43      Batman #23.4 Bane #1
44      Batman and Robin #23.4 Killer Croc #1
45      Batman/Superman #3.1 Doomsday #1
46      Batman: The Dark Knight #23.4 The Joker’s Daughter #1
47      Detective Comics #23.4 Man-Bat #1

BANE
This is just a setup for Arkham War #1.  No mysteries or origins for Bane revealed here.  Basically it's page after page of Bane killing willing followers. 3D cover is lame too.

KILLER CROC
As far as characters go, Killer Croc is not one I particularly care for.  That being said, I really liked this issue.  Good origin story for Killer Croc and I like the art too.  I love a good revenge story and this is a good one.

DOOMSDAY
Oh cool!  A villain from Krypton still exists!  That NEVER happens.   Roll Eyes  I can say that the art in this issue was pretty good and at least the story focused on Kara El, Zor-El, and Alana El.  Overall, I didn't care for this one.  Maybe Jimmy can give a little more insight into this one.

JOKER'S DAUGHTER
A true origin story as this seems to be where Duela becomes Joker's Daughter and the end says we'll see her in Catwoman.  But as I wasn't fond of the writing of the origin however.  I know Ann Nocenti is a famous author but it doesn't seem to be my style.  I'm also not buying that you can find Joker's skin floating in the water and it would still be intact.  Shouldn't it rot away by now?

MAN-BAT
This issue kind of reminded me of the old days when Man-Bat was in Detective Comics back in the 70's.  At least art-wise it did.  Not the best written but I like the story over all.  Bringing back the tragic origin for someone you want to overcome his failings but isn't going to.  Should make future Detective Comics issues interesting.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »

I still have 5 issues to go and then I'll have read all 52.  Then I can finally start reading my stack of September comics!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm not even sure what Doomsday is supposed to be or what he represents. This issue just wasn't...enough....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

Makes me wonder if I should be reading Flash. 

Very well could mean just that, but remember, the FLASH team has now left that title and is heading to DETECTIVE. One of the reasons I added it back to my pull. So just another thing to consider. Is it the Flash you enjoy, is it the team working on the Flash you enjoy or is it Memorex
 Cheesy
(Sorry for the blast from the past)  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »

I don't pick up my books from my LCS until the week Walking Dead usually ships, so imagine chagrin when I complain to my comic guy that I have a whole bunch of random DC villain books that I didn't order/want in my pull.....

Shows you how much I've been paying attention to the DCU in general.   Undecided

In the end, I had my comic guy returned the unwanted books back on the shelf. Not interested in another gimmick event.....I'm burnt out.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »

He just threw every single title into your pull? What the hell?

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »

I had no idea about the Villains month, so when I expected to have my regular monthlies like Batman, Action Comics, and I forget what else.....I got like 8 books that I didn't care for..... Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »

Just noticed I never posted about the last 5 books.  I should do that.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »

I had no idea about the Villains month, so when I expected to have my regular monthlies like Batman, Action Comics, and I forget what else.....I got like 8 books that I didn't care for..... Grin

Ohhh, so not every villains month title. Ha, I was thinking what kind of shop what do that.  Grin Yeah, don't blame him for trying to be cool and hooking you up with all the titles that are associated with the DC books you do get.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS