HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:32:07 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D Villains Month Checklist  (Read 36955 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:15 AM »

Lol.  Clearly I don't have my stack in order.  I'll fix that  tomorrow so were in sync.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:58 AM »

8      Green Lantern #23.1 Relic #1

Crap, I forgot this and read the Darkseid one thinking it was first. Oh well, I'll get back to this

DARKSEID
Excellent - the origin of Darkseid.  I liked this one.  I don't know if it syncs up with the old world or not but I liked this issue.

Sadly I totally disagree with my man Jeff on this one. While I kinda enjoyed the ending /// seeing all the dead Superman versions ... a dead Superman is a good Superman  Wink the reasons behind killing all the Supermen was weak. And Darkseid as nothing more than a farmer is just not something I buy into as part of his origin.

4 outta 10 "mudgrubbers"
 Sad

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 03:19:16 AM »

17      Batman and Robin #23.2 The Court of Owls #1
18      Batman: The Dark Knight #23.2 Mr. Freeze #1
20      Earth-2 #15.2 Solomon Grundy #1
23      Justice League of America #7.2 Killer Frost #1
24      Superman #23.2 Brainiac #1
25      Teen Titans #23.1 Trigon #1

THE COURT OF OWLS
I must confess I don't know who James Tynion IV is but he wrote a pretty good Court of Owls back-story.  I get why this is Batman 23.2 but I really think it would fit better as a Talon villain issue.  But either way I liked this one.  The 3D cover was fun for me.  I like the floating pictures in the background.

MR FREEZE
No real complaints here other than the little mohawk.  I'm not a fan of the change in Freezes origin but that was done in the Batman Annual and only expanded on here.  Not a bad issue but nothing unpredictable either.  One of the less impressive 3D covers too.

SOLOMON GRUNDY
Origin story for Solomon Grundy.  No real crossover with Forever Evil since this is on Earth 2.  Honestly, I didn't hate it but I got bored reading it.

KILLER FROST
Nice 3D cover and I liked this story as well.  To me its not really Killer Frost without George Perez drawing her.  That said, I enjoyed this comic and would be tempted to pick up Firestorm just to see his rogues gallery updated.

BRAINIAC
3D cover doesn't pop as much as some of the others.  Interesting origin story for Brainiac.  Definitely a robot like person.  Almost borg-like with all of the other machines scouring the universe.  Nothing here that sucked me in and made me want to see more though.

TRIGON
3D cover was pretty cool.  I like the smoke coming off of his hands. My man Marv Wolfman returns to write the new origin of the villain he created.  I liked this origin story and the last page was compelling.  Making me wish Wolfman was back to writing my Teen Titans from the 80's. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »

Yeah, Brainiac was fine, but nothing that really stood out. If you read the Johns arc from Action a couple of years ago, and slugged through Morrison's Action run, you already had this story.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »

RELIC
This must be a new villain in the Green Lantern world that I'm not familiar with.  This story was a good history lesson on Relic and I found it interesting.  I had no issues with this comic but like Two Face, its a setup for things to come.

I hated this issue. I really enjoy Venditti's writing, usually, but not here. I think he goes a tad overboard when trying to channel Geoff John's style of writing. I mean, writing things like -

"WAS NOT GRAVITY SIMPLY ONE OBJECTS PASSION TO BE NEAR ANOTHER?"

- is a perfect example of trying to do too much, because the answer is ... no.  Cheesy

I also found the reason for this "villain" to ... be a "villain", total bullshit.
I mean just because he couldn't talk the Lightsmiths from another universe into believing that their power source was limited, he now must go out and kill all the Lightsmiths (IE: Ring-Bearers) in this universe? That makes no sense at all. His motivation is lacking.
Of course, I am not reading GL, so maybe that is NOT what is going on, but the way I read this issue, that is what his goal is to be.
Eliminate the users of 'the source' so it will not be emptied and bring the end of this universe. Or in his words "Snuff them out"

Roll Eyes

The art saves this book, making it just an average comic

5 outta 10 questionable motivations
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 02:56:53 AM »

Wow, guys, sorry, but I just can't seem to get motivated to discuss my feelings about some of these books. The're just not good. At all. I stopped trying to read them in any order and have now just pulled aside the ones that showcase villains I am interested in reading about. Gonna read these and try this again, but no way I can read everyone of these. I can't get passed 3 or 4 pages on some (Harley Quinn being one example).
 Embarrassed

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

Wow, guys, sorry, but I just can't seem to get motivated to discuss my feelings about some of these books. The're just not good. At all. I stopped trying to read them in any order and have now just pulled aside the ones that showcase villains I am interested in reading about. Gonna read these and try this again, but no way I can read everyone of these. I can't get passed 3 or 4 pages on some (Harley Quinn being one example).
 Embarrassed

Then you'll REALLY want to skip Dial E - it was awful writing and awful art.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »

Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »

Oh no doubt there are some AWFUL stories for this month! Joker the worst!

But, I did like my last purchase of them; Black Adam, Black Manta, H'el, Cheetah; so, there were some....but people have a hard time writing a 'short story' kind of tale. Done in one, and make it good. Eh...a lacking skill it seems.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »

People aren't raving so much about the stories as they are the beautiful covers.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »

People aren't raving so much about the stories as they are the beautiful covers.
Yep, and we've been down that road before.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »

Well, if we're going to go down that road. DC hasn't had a good story since New 52 began.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »

Well, if we're going to go down that road. DC hasn't had a good story since New 52 began.

Not true.

Wonder Woman is perfection and has been since issue 1. Two+ solid years of fantastic story telling
Batman is as good as its ever been in the past 25 years or so
I've heard a lot of praise about a few others, including most of the GL titles which you yourself lauded (I seem to remember GREEN LANTERN #20 being one issue in-particular that had you giddy with joy)
PLEASE tell me somebody else read this, here. Such an amazingly, epic, and satisfying end to an amazing (and long) run.

At first I was like "EIGHT DOLLARS?!" But then after I read it, I realized it was more than worth the entry price. (And the thickest single-issue, non-prestige format, comic I have ever seen!)

Incredible, epic story. A fantastic tribute to the character of Hal Jordan and the mythos that Geoff Johns laid down for the GL Universe.

I've got to say, in the main-story at least, Sinestro shined even more than Hal did.

And what a classy act by DC to give Geoff Johns the respect he deserves on what will likely go down as one of the greatest runs in comic history.

Any fan of Green Lantern, or super-hero comics at all, NEEDS to go out and read this comic. This is why we read comics!

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »

Not true.

Wonder Woman is perfection and has been since issue 1. Two+ solid years of fantastic story telling
Batman is as good as its ever been in the past 25 years or so
I've heard a lot of praise about a few others, including most of the GL titles which you yourself lauded (I seem to remember GREEN LANTERN #20 being one issue in-particular that had you giddy with joy)
PLEASE tell me somebody else read this, here. Such an amazingly, epic, and satisfying end to an amazing (and long) run.

At first I was like "EIGHT DOLLARS?!" But then after I read it, I realized it was more than worth the entry price. (And the thickest single-issue, non-prestige format, comic I have ever seen!)

Incredible, epic story. A fantastic tribute to the character of Hal Jordan and the mythos that Geoff Johns laid down for the GL Universe.

I've got to say, in the main-story at least, Sinestro shined even more than Hal did.

And what a classy act by DC to give Geoff Johns the respect he deserves on what will likely go down as one of the greatest runs in comic history.

Any fan of Green Lantern, or super-hero comics at all, NEEDS to go out and read this comic. This is why we read comics!

Okay, yeah, that issue was fantastic. But most of Green Lantern before New 52, was much better.

And I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman, so I have no clue what's going on there.

But the Superman books, the JLA books, Earth-2, and Captain Atom (and of course the GL books) I all followed, and the few issues of the Batman books I picked up; and I haven't been impressed with any of them for the most part and find myself just wanted the classic DC versions.

The New 52 just comes off as this dark and depressing place where all the heroes are more worried about coming off tough than they are being heroes. It doesn't feel like DC.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:39 PM »

What exactly was so good before the new 52? Other than Batman and Green Lantern, what was DC doing or selling that was so good? Not much, that is why they had to pull this reboot to begin with, because sales were crap.

Look, I know that most of the titles DC puts out now are ... not great, but there are some that are ... just like before the reboot.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS