HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:18:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the Infinity thread  (Read 10271 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »

Despite the price hike, I got the first issue out of sheer curiosity. It was mildly confusing and too cumbersome.

What were your thoughts?
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:08:10 AM »

Confusing is the word, with this series. I even got the prelude issues in "Avengers", and I think that confused me even more.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »

I haven't read it yet (it's in my shipment for next week) but that sounds like typical Hickman.  Most of his stuff starts out confusing for me but normally all comes together for a cosmic payoff.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »

Loved it.  This is going to be good.

If you found it confusing I can understand why.  This is heavily tied into Avengers and New Avengers.  The storylines from both books are coming together here.  To understand right off the bat the first two pages and Black Bolts secret you would have needed to read all of the current New Avengers run (my favorite Avengers book By the way).  I don't, however, think you need to go back and get them to enjoy this as I'm sure it will become clear.  I am convinced though that we will likely need to read the Avengers and New Avengers tie-ins to understand the complete stories.  The other tie-ins (Capt marvel, thunderbolts, and avengers AI) I don't think will be necessary.  The Builders are the current baddies from the Avengers storyline which started with issue 1. What, if anything, they have to do with Thanos I'd like to see.

I know it's wishful thinking but I hope ROM Space Knight makes a resurgence by the end of this.  THAT would be awesome.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »

what up with his series, all?

I've heard it's kinda garbage, to a degree.

But I'm kinda negative on it. Maybe in trade I'd really dig it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »

Only way to read it and not want to poke your eyes out is in collected form. Grin

Now it still has its fans, and they are loving it, but it is Hickman being Hickman to the power of 50, so it is a hell of a lot going on with a strange pacing that can easily present itself as not an enjoyable monthly read, all the while being a fantastic story.

It is similar to packing in about 5 years worth of today's typical plot-lines and stories into a 4 month event (or a year event if you have been following the main Avengers title, which you should have done to read this).

Eventually, over time, this will be remembered as an A+ Avengers story. Right now, it is just a little too muddled for some, including myself. That said, I enjoyed what I read ... overall ... for the most part (even though the AVENGERS title was paced so poorly that it left the characters cold and emotionless, while the NEW AVENGERS was exciting as hell), and I am going to scoop this up when it is fully collected ... and I have no reservations about doing so.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

Because of my obsession with buying and reading all 52 villain issues from September, I'm actually two months behind on this series.  I have them all waiting for me at the bottom of my stack.  I figure by the time I get to them I'll have the whole series and it will read like a trade.   Grin

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:18 AM »

Man, this story sucked so bad. I kept waiting for the pay-off that all the Hickman fans kept telling us was coming, it never did.

The entire story just seemed to jump from middle of one thing, to the middle of another, and then another. And the backbone of the entire story was really weak, too. Thanos just wanted to kill his kid? That was the point of it all?

And is it just me, or did that ending seem familiar? Does anyone else remember the late 70s, the first time Thanos was "defeated for good"? Wasn't he made into a statue then, too?

Also, where did all of Thanos power go? His army of pirates was how he started out in the 70s. Then he moved on to having control over an Infinity Gem, then gaining the power of a Cosmic Cube, then the power of the Infinity Gauntlet, and finally the power of all creation in Marvel Universe: The End. Now he's done playing with cosmic powers and is content just leading an army of misfits again? It just doesn't seem believable at all for his character.

Also, did they EVER explain how he escaped the Cancerverse?

Marvel is losing me. First Fear Itself, then Marvel Now, now it's Infinity, and Inhumanity is doing nothing to inspire hope in Marvel.

At least we still have Superior Spider-Man. And Cataclysm (in the Ultimate Universe) has been a much more enjoyable "event" than Infinity ever was.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »

Man, this story sucked so bad. I kept waiting for the pay-off that all the Hickman fans kept telling us was coming, it never did.

Cheesy Kinda wondering who told you there was a payoff coming. I am a huge Hickman fan and even I thought this was just okay. But I haven't really read it either, I just know the "this and that" of it. But I wasn't expecting much because I have not been a fan of his AVENGERS and this is just like that. This event is a continuation of AVENGERS, but you weren't a fan of his AVENGERS either, so I am kinda surprised you are surprised you didn't like this.
 Wink

Marvel is losing me. First Fear Itself, then Marvel Now, now it's Infinity, and Inhumanity is doing nothing to inspire hope in Marvel.

Fear Itself was utter garbage, no doubt, but Marvel NOW is nothing more than a banner placement and is not an event in anyway and more to the point, has had some tremendous comics come out of it. The new THOR is at the top of that list for me, but others are raving about the X-MEN side of things. Heck, even you said you were gonna buy the INVADERS because of Robinson.

Still, as far as INFINITY, I still think as bad as you may feel it is, it is the best "event" to come out of Marvel since Civil War. But again, I say this having not truly read it, soooo, hell, you may be right.
 Grin

At least we still have Superior Spider-Man. And Cataclysm (in the Ultimate Universe) has been a much more enjoyable "event" than Infinity ever was.

Well at least ya got those.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »

Cheesy Kinda wondering who told you there was a payoff coming.

Yeah - that would be me.   Grin

I've normally found Hickman to have a slow confusing start but it all comes together in the end.

Sorry you didn't like it Nate.  I haven't finished it yet as my November comics won't arrive until Wednesday.  I'm hoping its just a matter of taste and that I'll still like it BUT I wasn't a fan of his Avengers series so if Perry is right then I'm bound to be disappointed.   Sad

Don't judge Hickman as a result of this though.  You should get the back issues or TPB of Secret Warriors.  It's Nick Fury and really good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

Cheesy Kinda wondering who told you there was a payoff coming.

Yeah - that would be me.   Grin

Cheesy Oh ...well then ...  Cheesy
But wait, he used a plural with fan"S" ... maybe there was more and it doesn't fall just on you?
 Smiley

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »

Yeah, I've heard it from many a fan that they were sure a pay-off was coming. I didn't see it.

I am familiar with Hickman. I loved Ultimates 1 & 2. But the difference there is, Hickman pulled me in from the first issue on that. I didn't have to wait for anything to happen.

As for Marvel Now being a banner. Yeah, it is. I wasn't limiting it to events, I was saying Marvel has been sucking lately. All-New X-Men started off great. But what looked like a great story to be told, has now been stretched out, added layer upon layer on, and new team-members added to it, so it's like any other X-title, now. You already know I liked Superior Spider-Man. And yeah, you're right, Thor was a fantastic read. But other than that, what has been good? Avengers was brought way down. Fantastic Four started with potential, and then fizzled. Venom and Scarlet Spider both did the same. X-Men has like 50 books like it's 1995 all over again and is impossible to keep up on. And I think what I hate more than anything is that continuity is constantly ignored.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 04:25:23 AM »

But other than that, what has been good?

About the same as before the launch but with the added bonus of sales.  Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 04:54:14 AM »

I've heard some rather piss poor stuff about Infinity as well.

And I've been with Nate on this for a while; I'm really off the bandwagon. The more I get older, (trying to chase Perry down), I recognize more and more what is no longer targeted towards me. Which is, about everything except erection pills (okay, I'm not QUITE there yet).

And for me, I feel like Marvel isn't targeting me anymore. Why? Because I've read all this stuff, or versions of it already, and what they are doing currently doesn't appeal to me because they aren't writing the characters in the way I "know" them.

Which is fine. I'm not expecting a company to act beholden to me. It sucks! But, I'll get by, and read something else.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »

Finally read this series, and everything I was trying to defend (solely on what I had heard) was pretty much bad.

I just agree with Nate. Not a good execution of events. But again, I also didn't like Hickman's AVENGERS, so that may be a part of it, but that is no excuse for what this is ... or isn't.

Still about the best "event" from Marvel since CIVIL WAR, not that that says a lot, but not s very strong read either.

How they brought Thane into being was ... suspect.

A ton of stuff happening "off panel" (even after reading the tie-ins, there is still a lot missing here.

And the easy way Captain Universe just wipes out the entire problem?

Yep, even though this is very similar to Hickman's AVENGERS as far as no characterization and lack of emotion, and I should've known this was gonna mirror that, I was hoping for a little more. And although I don't hate it as much as Nate ....

5 outta 10 Galactic Overthrows (just an average book overall)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS