HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:32:23 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why I loved the New Teen Titans  (Read 3029 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: February 20, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »

Funnily enough,

A letter in Batman referenced that Dick was with the Titans, and I picked up the book because of that letter. The first book I read was #58, last of the original stories before the Baxter reprints began. The Fearsome Five was my first Titans baddie group. The next book I got was New Teen Titans "The Night Before" the wedding of Starfire, and I was in love with Blackfire and her dark heart. It was a different time, and I was fortunate for friends who had tons of back issues and stores with back issues.

Before New Teen Titans, the only character I knew was Dick Grayson. I loved Wonder Girl with her connection to Wonder Woman, and Gar with his connection with an obscure corner of DCU that was unknown to me. KId Flash too.  I wanted to get to know it and did. My heart gained a place for Raven, the real empathic healer Raven that will never die. All the characters seemed real and organic, and like real teenagers-- most of their problems and conflicts stemmed from family roots. I think the later incarnations failed to really capture that one universal element of how family pushes and pulls characters and friendships.

The excitement was that at any moment something from any corner of DC could come into the book. The stories were new and original, and they played off of DC history in a way that added flavor and piqued fans to just enjoy or learn more if desired. The Titans had connections. And the books sales proved it!

My hopes:

Cyborg would grow to be an important player in DCU tied to cyberspace in a way few others were

Raven would become a major mystic on par with Spectre, Phantom Stranger and Dr. Fate

Wonder Girl would spread her influence as a warrior and an Oprah type

Gar would reform the Doom Patrol with new characters and/or returning originals

Starfire would test human/alien relations, perhaps romancing Superman or Green Lantern

Dick would continue to evolve into more than Batman, not lose his heart but be daring/ruthless like Deatstroke at times

I was a fan of Dick/Kory, but I think their relationship stretched the realism of the Bat world too far. I liked them tho

This is Why I loved the Titans!

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »

It's like you read my mind!  That was my all time favorite series and I bought issue 1 off of a spinner rack in the local convienece store.  Like you I loved the angst that drove Dick into a tougher character.  And I loved his romance with Kory.  It was a great contrast between mr too serious and miss happy go lucky.  Kid Flash was my favorite and even though it took him out of the series, I loved that he took over the Flash mantle when Barry died.

The writing was great and nothing could beat George Perez's art.  There's rarely anything that detailed anymore.

Man, you've really sent me back in time.  I miss that series.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS