HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:34:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great Cosmic Comic Stories  (Read 4879 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: March 22, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

I'm hungry for more cosmic comic stories!

I've always loved the cosmic scene over at DC Comics. I think it's pretty well-known around here that I'm a HUGE Green Lantern fan and have been for a very long time. I'm also a big fan of Darkseid and the New Gods. Superman's cosmic stuff has always been great. And I'm one of the only fans of Darkstars. Crisis on Infinite Earths was one of the greatest tales ever told, IMO. And anything involving the DC Multiverse I'm drawn to.

Over at Marvel I'm a big fan of Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock, Quasar, Nova, and Thanos. The Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War are 2 of my favorite stories of all time. And despite everyone seeming to grumble about it, I REALLY like War of Kings.

So considering all that. What are some great cosmic comics that I'm missing out on? Stories that follow that same sort of grandiose storytelling style of the stuff I mentioned above?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »

I'll give this some thought and hit ya back

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

the kree-skrull war?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:27:58 AM »

the kree-skrull war?

Although a classic, I've always thought that was "over sold" as being "Great" (But I feel the same about WATCHMEN, sooo ...)
 Grin

Not sure about "grandiose" but the original Surfer title, with art by the true master - John Buscema, was a classic (though not too deeply set in space).

(of course SILVER SURFER also had a huge run later)

I enjoyed the 2 HERCULES limited series set in space by Bob Layton. '82 and '84. Those were fun.

The GUARDIANS of the GALAXY had a great run for a while in 2008 that was really good -

and if you chose to take a chance on 90's Marvel *shiver* that same title had a long run of issues starting in 1990, but I never read any of those

And of course, if you truly enjoy Starlin's cosmic stuff you have to read DREADSTAR!!! In that series, he even self-stole Thanos back. Well, a 2.0 version of his character anyway.

EDIT -
And oh yeah, Almost forgot
OMEGA MEN.
Loved that DC series

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:47:07 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 04:12:59 AM »

Thanks. Gonna have to check some of those out. Dreadstar, especially sounds good if it's Starlin writing Thanos!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »

... especially sounds good if it's Starlin writing Thanos!

Well, not Thanos, but Lord High Papal. Basically, almost ... well, kind of a mirror of his Thanos.  Grin Hard to explain. Once you read it, you can see the similarities and the polar opposites that make it Thanos, but NOT Thanos.
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:47:10 AM »

If you haven't read the 2008 version of Guardians of the Galaxy it's a must read. The movie is based on this version.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS