HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:51:07 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why would DC release a press statement today that spoils a comic coming out on..  (Read 3373 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 26, 2013, 03:49:54 AM »

Why would DC release a press statement today that spoils a comic coming out on Wednesday?

So my wife is reading news on her iPhone and asks me "Who is NO SPOIL BY JEFF and why..." which completely spoils this weeks Batman Incorporated.  It was a press release by DC.

Why...WHy...WHY?Huh?  Why would DC spoil there readers enjoyment?

I don't buy that comic so I wouldn't have known until after the fact but if I was a regular reader I would be furious.  As a fan you invest so much time and money in a series and just when your going to get the big payoff...BAM!  They ruin it for you.

I'm so glad I had already decided to drop all of their titles.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:00:55 PM »

The original spoilage came from ... something like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (or some such mag) so DC is just acknowledging the article. Yes, they are the ones that told them in the first place, however.
 Cheesy

The reason they do this is the same reason Marvel does it. Jump those sales.

We, as comic readers, have already heard (most chances) of how big (comic book wise) the issue may be, even without truly knowing the exact reason, but there are tons of non-comic buyers that may see
"death of Robin"
and rush to buy that issue. Thinking, falsely:
A) That it is the original Robin that they know from their youth (through comics, cartoons or the 60's TV show)
B) That it will be a valuable piece of collector stash
C) Both of those

This book will now sell out at most comic shops the same way the "death" of Steve Rogers did a few years back, when Marvel used the same marketing ploy, releasing the spoiler to Newsday (or whatever it was).
 Undecided

Why do they do it when they know it will (can) piss off the readers? They know the readers will buy it anyway. They know they already have those sales in pocket, so what's the harm in adding a few more non-buyers? They don't care about the faithful readers. It's money, money, money.

DC and Marvel's goal is never to make the buyers happy, it is to get the buyers money. You know you can't spell "corporate" without RAPE
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS