HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:39:58 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DC Comics Asks 'WTF' is Happening in April 2013  (Read 8092 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: January 31, 2013, 01:38:53 AM »

The DC promotional folks have come up with a new angle to market April's comics. They're calling it "WTF Certified," announcing that all their New 52 issues in that month will "leave readers in a state of shock."

With the official logo debuting on BuzzFeed, the "WTF Certified" month was teased by seven statements from DC.

• Booster Gold reappears while an entire team disappears

•
 One team is trapped in a bottle while another is changed completely

• Some heroes change their colors and other change allegiances

• Pandora battles to the death

• A close encounter of The Dark Knight kind

• There's a new, old Creeper and some old New Gods.

• One hero quits, and another hero dies

DC also suggested that fans consider these seven statements while taking a closer look at a few of the comic covers for April. That month will see gatefold covers, so fans are — for now — only able to see one half of the images.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:51:03 AM by Gay Titan » Logged
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »

I just flipped through this weeks Previews, and I wasn't impressed by the gimmick. This is DC forcing shock value into stories that probably don't need it. Forced shock value usually doesn't work.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »

I am disappointed in DCnU's "new" Booster Gold. I miss the time traveling, hypertime, and Rip Hunter.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »

Forced shock value usually doesn't work.

Well it fits right in with the current DC then.

COMIC COMPANY SLAM!!!!

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »

DC is a joke these days.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »

DC is a joke these days.

Yep. They are one title from pushing me out completely. My love for Batman is the only thing keeping me there.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »

DC is a joke these days.

Yep. They are one title from pushing me out completely. My love for Batman is the only thing keeping me there.

Same here, except it's Green Lantern in my case.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »

Yep - I've dropped them all. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:10:17 AM »

And note,

I say that comment with sadness. DC has my favorite characters. I do not know who these current creations are anymore, and I do not think the current characters or writers know either. I want good, solid stories, not just temporary shock and awe.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

Well, hopefully things will turn soon for you, Sin. I have been reading how at the latest (first) DC retreat (following Marvel's lead), Didio stood up and apologized for all kinds of things, including editorial miscommunication, re-writes and a general non-cohesive storytelling environment. He really shouldered the blame (as he should given his position) and vowed for change.

Not sure if it will ever bring me back, for as a Marvel Zombie I am okay without DC  Grin, but I hope they do turn it around to at least make me wonder if I should try them again, for more than just Batman.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »

And note,

I say that comment with sadness. DC has my favorite characters. I do not know who these current creations are anymore, and I do not think the current characters or writers know either. I want good, solid stories, not just temporary shock and awe.

Well put. What's funny, is that I remember Infinite Crisis kept preaching about how dark the DC Universe had gotten, back in 2005-2006. They didn't have clue what it would become.

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:05 AM »

Thanks, guys!

EmeraldWarrior420, I was just noted a wonderful moment from Infinite Crisis to a friend the other day. Golden Age Superman comments that perhaps the loss of the Golden Age Batman threw the universe or the multiverse off. I think he was right. And I think that is echoed in the current New52 DCU with the death of the big 3 on Earth 2. It is DC, but it is like the heart and soul has been ripped out. The modern Flash jokes that if the GLs have been taken out, he hopes Guy is gone just feels wrong and warped-- not new, hip or edgy.

I am not sure how any of this could be turned around. As much as I want it reset to somewhere things felt right, I am tired of DC hitting the reset button just for shock and sales. 1985, I got it and it felt right. Enough of the core was still intact.

With the movies coming up, I wonder which characters we will get on screen or will they be brand new and different.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS