HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:56:52 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: X-O MANOWAR  (Read 21924 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 14, 2012, 04:11:18 AM »

Issue #6

Yes, odd that I am starting a thread with issue six, but odder still is how much a damn sucker I am.

I had originally ordered this issue to save money. It was one of DCBS bundle packs. As I was currently getting four of their titles anyway, the bundle pack of all five titles (this was before SHADOWMAN) was a few cents cheaper, and I got a free additional comic. So why not?

Well once this issue arrived, I threw it my pile and figured I would get to it someday.

I had basically forgot about it until I decided last night to organize my pile in a "really want to read" and "Kinda want to read" alternating order ... to help try and encourage me to knock this damn pile down. In doing so, I came across this issue and figured I would just flip through it, scan a few panels, read a couple more and then I would throw it on my "give away" pile (my pile of comics with titles that I don't buy and not worth selling on Ebay).

Back-fire city.

While I started out reading just a few panels, by the time I got about half way through, I had to stop and start over. I got hooked before I knew it. DAMN IT. This was a cool comic. Alien invasion? Ninjak vs The X-O armor? Crap. All I wanted to do was just flip through a book and move on, what ended up happening is me sending an e-mail to DCBS asking if they have issues 1-5 and 7 plus.

I am now eagerly awaiting their reply. It appears that ARCHER & ARMSTRONG will now be the only Valiant book I do not get. Gonna have to revisit my pull list and make a couple cuts to make room.
 Cheesy

Angry

Grin

And yes, I am aware that I didn't really even talk about the issue here.  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »

I've read issues #1 and 2 just now, and I like what I've read so far.  It's a little slow going, mainly because we have to get a glimpse of Aric's world, and his journey to get the X-O armor, but I'm sure things will be picking up from issue #3 onward....

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »

I ordered the back issues online last week.  I got issue 6 in the mail yesterday. Still waiting on 1 - 5.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:22:58 AM »

I've read issues #1 and 2 just now, and I like what I've read so far.  It's a little slow going, mainly because we have to get a glimpse of Aric's world, and his journey to get the X-O armor, but I'm sure things will be picking up from issue #3 onward....

Yeah, issues 1 and 2 were slow, well, not slow, but like you said, showing the journey. I was actually surprised they chose to show that much back-story without the armor being at all a focus. Glad they did, but still a bold choice.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »

I've read up to issue #7, and all I gotta say is that if every Valiant comic is anywhere as good as this, I'm all in baby!

This series brings back every feeling I had reading Valiant in the 90s....and X-O Manowar was at the top of my to read list way back when.  What number are they on now?  I have to get caught up on all these books.....quick!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:02:23 PM »

Issue #8 is "in stores now".
 Wink

So far, I have only read issues 1,2 and 6. Issue 6 being the issue the made me go get all the other issues, as I loved the interaction between Aric and Ninjak. I have issue #8, as it was just shipped to me, but still awaiting the other issues.

HURRY AND GET HERE, DAMN IT Grin

HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:18 PM »

Issue #8 is "in stores now".
 Wink

So far, I have only read issues 1,2 and 6. Issue 6 being the issue the made me go get all the other issues, as I loved the interaction between Aric and Ninjak. I have issue #8, as it was just shipped to me, but still awaiting the other issues.

HURRY AND GET HERE, DAMN IT Grin

Issue 3 kickstarts the whole series for me, and it's a real page turner through issue 7.  I didn't care for Ninjak back in the day, but I do like this team-up a whole lot!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »

I just read issues 1 thru 8 in one sitting.  Another great Valiant comic that's being added to the pull list.

Valiant is really knocking it out of the park with all of these titles.  So far I've added all but Archer and Armstrong.  Won't surprise me if it winds up there as well.

My favorite title is still Harbinger.  But the others are only barely, and I do mean barely, behind it in terms of my enjoyment.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:00:48 AM »

Jeff, if you are still ordering through DCBS (and I am sure you are), order the "Valiant Bundle" and you can get all five of the Valiant titles cheaper than just the four you are getting.

Bundle price (50% off) for all five titles = $9.97
Regular price (35% off) for just the four titles = $10.37

Only reason I started getting ARCHER & ARMSTRONG was due to the bundle, and while it didn't originally blow me away, I am starting to get into it. Besides, saving money buy adding a comic can NEVER be bad. The only draw back is you can only get the regular covers in the bundle, but so far, I have liked them all better than the variant anyway.
 Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

The U.S luge team ... in the X-O Manowar armor  Grin

(From Bleeding Cool)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »

X-O MANOWAR issue #12

Wow, Cary Nord should not ink his own work. I'm usually okay with his stuff, though it doesn't blow me over, but this issue looks to be nothing but bleed-over. Almost like it was done with watercolors. Not a fan of this look

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »

EDIT - DON't LOOK JEFF!!!. I just went back to see and you did order this, so avoid the preview posted below.

I Just saw the latest preview for this comic, out now I believe.

WOW, that puppy looks very interesting. If you have yet to see it and are not afraid of spoilers, click HERE

Very interested again for X-O with this. May have to convince my boy Dave to buy it  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:28:17 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »

Hmmmm.  I had just stopped getting ordering it.  Might have to rethink it if your interested again.

I like this series and was torn about dropping it for costs. Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »

Hmmmm.  I had just stopped getting ordering it.  Might have to rethink it if your interested again.

I like this series and was torn about dropping it for costs. Angry

Well, I am not getting it, but the preview just looked like it could go into a really cool direction. You did pre-order it, so it should be in the next shipment, then you will have to decide to add it back or not ... oh those decisions.
 Smiley

Do let us know if it is as good as the preview led me to believe, cause if it is, I will try and talk some crap and see if I can read it second hand.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »

But then again I just saw on CBR where Harbinger #25 is going to be the last of that series!

Not saying they won't bring it back, but you just don't stop printing titles that are doing well, so ... things could be getting scary for Valiant.

That is pure speculation on my part of course, and this may be all part of a larger plan, but if I was still buying Valiant in monthly, I know I would be a little nervous about jumping back in. I mean, that was one of my top, if not my top title from them.

That sucks.
 Angry

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS