HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:27:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SHADOWMAN  (Read 9190 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 13, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

SHADOWMAN #1

Gotta say this was another interesting comic coming from Valiant. I can see it is going to combine the magic qualities of Dr. Fate with the demon attributes of Damien Hellstrom (who I still prefer to call Hellstorm!!!). And to me, that is a pretty sweet combination.

The issue starts about 25 years or so in the past (doesn't really state how long) and we find Josiah Boniface leaving his pregnant girlfriend/wife (transforming into the Shadowman) to head out and face the demon hoard led by Master Darque. Arriving just in time, Shadowman saves the life of Dox, an impish type man that he has apparently worked with for awhile. He then engages Master Darque. In the ongoing struggle, Darque times his strike at a certain point delivering a 'killing blow' (?) to Shadowman. But Shadowman has enough left to deliver a blow himself. The thing is, Master Darque wanted that to happen as it opened a portal that Darque "couldn't have reached" alone. They then fall into said portal.

Thus ends the first part of issue one and the real hook for me. I am really interested in what followed their entry into that portal.

As for the rest of the book ... years later we see the son of Shadowman ... and I am going to leave it there.  Grin I don't want to give everything away on a first issue.

Interested? Did I peak your interest? Well pick up the book and give it a shot.  Smiley Good story. Nice art.

8 outta 10 Demon Hors d'oeuvres ( Cheesy You gotta read it to understand that one)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:25:55 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »

Cheesy
Just finished HARBINGER #4. The entirety of my brief synopsis of SHADOWMAN #1 is at the end of the issue.

Cheesy
Shit!!!

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »

SHADOWMAN #3 preview pages ...

HERE

Click it, Hoss.  Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »

SHADOWMAN #3 preview pages ...

HERE

Click it, Hoss.  Wink

Your link goes to something called "Playing Roles"

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »

Angry
Well aint that just a ....

Try the correct one HERE  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »

Much better! Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »

I read the preview pages of issue #1 in the issue of X-O Manowar, and I must find get my hands on the series quick.....I hope backissues are easy to come by for all these Valiant books.

I remember in the 90s, it was near impossible to find early backissues on the cheap!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

Issue #2 just dropped (and I enjoyed it more than #1) so it should be easy enough to catch up on.  Smiley

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »

Usually it's hard to recapture those memories of anything that brings you joy from years gone by, but when I saw Master Darque and Shadowman in those preview pages, it was like I was reading it for the first time again!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

Darque rocks it in issue #2  Wink

As I have said, when comics forced me to run away with my hands in the air waving over my head in the early 90's, I had missed the first run of Valiant. I am kinda really glad I did, because this is like discovering a great, new universe to drop into. Of course, I am hearing from a lot of older fans, such as yourself, that are saying they are doing a great job making us new fans and the old fans happy. That is hard to do and just further proves what a great job they are doing at Valiant.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »

The Valiant world is all new for me too.  I got hooked with Harbinger - more hooked when I added Bloodshot.  I'm waiting on my back issues of X-O to show up and Shadowman #1 is coming with them.

Glenn - mycomicshop.com has almost all of the issues online if you need to fill the gaps.  I bought all my back issues there except for XO #6 which they are out of but you already have.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »

I just finished issue 1.  I liked it enough to want to pick up issue 2.  I'll swing by the LCS this weekend and pick it up.

I don't normally like voodoo/black magic type comics but this has an interesting mystery to it.  At least as a new comer to this series it's a mystery to me.  I'm looking forward the next few issues.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:29:09 PM »

JMS Writing SHADOWMAN movie ...

HERE

YAY

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

New ongoing creative team for SHADOWMAN

Peter Milligan - W
Roberto De La Torre - A

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »

Peter Milligan should be interesting on this title.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS