HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:19:05 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nova NOW!  (Read 5831 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 16, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »

A new Nova #1!  I love Nova - one of my favorite characters!  Should I add it?  I'm so torn because I don't want to add another title but I love Nova!  What to do....what to do......

NOVA #1
JEPH LOEB (W)
ED MCGUINNESS (A/C)
Variant Cover by MARCOS MARTIN
Variant Cover by J. Scott Campbell
Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
Sketch Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
Blank Cover Variant Also Available

The Human Rocket returns!
You’ve followed him through the history making (and changing!) AvX and now the mystery of the all-new Nova are revealed in this breathtaking new ongoing by the best-selling, award winning team of Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness (RED HULK, Avengers X-Sanction).
Sam Alexander is a kid bound by the gravity of a small town and a father whose ridiculous, drunken fairy tales about a “Nova Corps” were just another heavy burden in a life full of them. But luckily for Sam Alexander...soon gravity won’t even matter. And those troubles? It’s like they’re a billion miles away.
32 PGS. /Rated T+ ...$3.99

NOVA #1
JEPH LOEB (W)

And just like that I have my answer.   I just saved $3.99 a month.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »

Cheesy

Yep

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »

I was going to get the first arc. I have always viewed the Nova Corps as Marvel's Green Lanterns. Kid Nova was my favorite member of the old New Warriors.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »

Besides Red Hulk and the odd Wolverine retcons, can someone remind me why Jeph Loeb is so bad? Or is it just lately, he hasn't been able to recapture the success he had of yesteryear?

He's not my favorite writer by any means, but I remember some of his stuff years ago, made me love reading comics again.  And it's a quite prolific list of books at that.....let me remind you of these great tales...

Spider-Man Blue
Hulk Gray
Daredevil Yellow
Superman For All Seasons
Batman Long Halloween
Batman Dark Victory
Batman Hush

heck, even Superman/Batman was a fun romp through the DCU all the way up til his memorable run with the late Michael Turner.

I might be willing to give this a shot....

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »

I did really like his Superman/Batman run.

HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »

I did too....It wasn't the most intellectual read, but damn it was entertaining......

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »

Same here. I loved that run and so I followed him over to Marvel.  Nothing since that Supermen/Batman run has been good.  Started with what he did on Wolverine and went downhill with Red Hulk.  Then he got added to the show Heroes and that's when that show went off the deep end.  Maybe a coincidence on Heroes but it's there nevertheless.  Then I gave him another shot with the return of Cable and that was terrible too.  Not gonna fall for it on Nova.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »

I am wondering if his decline has anything to do with his son getting hit by cancer and then passing away. I know that would screw me up mentally.

His work on Hush was right about the time Sam, his son, was diagnosed and since then, his stuff, other than that SUPERMAN/BATMAN which I also enjoyed, just isn't the same.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »

I've often thought the same thing as his son passed away right at the end of his Superman/Batman run. It was right after that he switched over to Marvel.  I think that's when he and Geoff Johns stopped sharing office space too but I could be wrong.  That's a lot of change all at the same time and could be why his creativity has suffered. 

I don't have anything personal against him and my heart certainly goes out to him for his loss.  I just don't enjoy his writing anymore and I'm not sure he can get back on track.  Who knows, since this new Nova is an all new character maybe it's just what he needs to get back to greatness.

HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »

I am wondering if his decline has anything to do with his son getting hit by cancer and then passing away. I know that would screw me up mentally.

His work on Hush was right about the time Sam, his son, was diagnosed and since then, his stuff, other than that SUPERMAN/BATMAN which I also enjoyed, just isn't the same.

I think you might be on to somethin there.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS