HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:42:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arrow Debuts Wednesday, October 10 on CW  (Read 16853 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »

Man, 15 episodes in, and still hating it.

Not all of it. Well ... most of it  Grin, but it has its good points also.

Like I said, its rough, but there are parts I enjoy. I really like the fact they throw a lot of DC universe stuff in here. I like to find the easter eggs and all.

When I tried it again in Season 2, I liked what I saw immediately, and kept watching.

That's what I am trying to get to. Just can't stand coming into something having missed a plot point or anything. Struggling now to find the glory you speak of later.
 Grin
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:12:41 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

Ep 16 - Geoff Johns solo scripted episode. Eh, typical CW stuff here, but not as logic-crushing as most episodes. More overblown emotion and third tier acting than anything but not the worst seen. I think this episode sets up Tommy finally becoming the Archer ... or is at least laying ground work for it. I like the River Song addition.  Smiley

Oh, and more island bullshit.

Ep 17 - Ugh. Huntress returns. Oh joy.  Undecided Not sure what is more the slap in the face; the horrible acting by this Huntress chick or the total disregard to the character herself. They totally slaughter who the Huntress is in this show. Just annihilated her. Only thing that resembles the comic character and this fraud is her name and her thoughts of her family tree. Everything else is total crap. Add in the usual "horrible cops" (can't shoot or use cover, keeping a suspect's jacket and gloves on in interrogation, etc ...) and this is, perhaps, the worst episode yet.

Oh, and more island bullshit. At least Ollie works towards trying to get off the island, but I am sure he will give that up for some reason.

Getting really worried about that new Flash show I wanted to check out ... when it hits. If it is anything like this, just no way I can handle it. I mean Barry Allen works very closely with cops and if they are like the cops shown here, that show is going to be more brutal to sit through than this.
 Shocked

Onto episode 18 ... five more in season one to go!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »

Ep 18 - Okay. Okay now. This is what this show could be. Some good action, some hints or slight connections to the DC world and less over-drama. Don't get me wrong, this episode had some 'drama' but it was done pretty damn decent. Kudos to the two writers of this episode.

Some nice parkour work here.

And then ... the island stuff ... Eh, got a little better I suppose

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »

I won't lie; the Island stuff with all the running around with Fyre and his crew and their purposes was just ..weird, convuluted, and really didn't hold together for me as well.

Huntress is...yeah, there. I don't mind her smoldering anger, but her motivations and workings were waaaay off.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »

Huntress is...yeah, there. I don't mind her smoldering anger, but her motivations and workings were waaaay off.

Yeah, they kinda screwed that one.
 Undecided

Ep 19 - Okay now, again. Back to back pretty decent episodes. The return of Count Vertigo. The Count's direction is a little over the top, but I can chalk that one up to comic-book villainy more than just overacting, so that gets a pass. I like the actor playing the Count (Liked him in Fringe but he was really good as the younger Darling on Dirty, Sexy, Money ... a far too short lived drama) so it helps that I know what he can do, so yeah, I can deal with a melodramatic Count Vertigo. Makes it silver-age comic-booky ... and that's okay at times.
 Smiley

The island also improved. Still not something they should spend any time with, really, as I like the not-knowing more than the pace they are choosing to show me, but again, better done here in this episode than many of the more recent shots.

Looking forward to the next installment. A feeling that I have not had for a few episodes now, so that is a good thing.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »

Ep 20 - Hey, Deathlok!!  Cheesy Funny how the guy playing a heartless assassin is now a heartfelt cyborg on the other side of the company aisle.  Cheesy Decent episode, but a lot harder to watch right after the comparable Shield, when the later has gotten so much better over the last 3 weeks. Still, not a bad waste of time.

Ep 21 - Again, I love when this show (and Shield) incorporate more aspects of the comic world into the small screen. The Ted Kord fundraiser and the mention of BLÜDHAVEN takes little to no effort, yet makes it that much more fun. That aside ... and even with all the CW teen drama ... this was a pretty well done episode. I liked finally getting the back-story of the boating trip, the reason for it and the betrayal that followed. Also enjoyed the fact that the guy playing Ollie was able to finally show more emotion than the two sides he has been showing. About the best he has ever done and that helps place this in my top 5 episodes of this show.

Two more to go!!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »

Ep 22 - Ugh. Right when it was looking up they go and step on their @$#%. One of the worst writing/plot developments I have been witness to since watching Days of Our Lives with my mom, when I was 'couch ridden' after getting my ribs broken in a fight back in 9th grade. Sadly, watching this show is sometimes just as painful for me.

So, mere hours after telling Tommy that he has no interest in Laurel as it will never work ... could NEVER work and basically telling Tommy to go get her, Ollie goes and professes undying devotion to her? Knowing it is a total dick move? What an ass. Freaking return of the not-so-great As The World Turns from CW. I bet all the teenage girls were so happy when Ollie and Laurel started kissing. Jesus, this show just ... it's ... sometimes ...

And then, more LOST type bullcrap on this island. Writers or producers or SHOWRUNNERS, not knowing what the hell to do so they keep running around with stupid plot points that should have happened in episode 2 or should never have happened at all. I mean, why kill what's his name after making the video when you could have done the same thing months ago? Absolutely stupid.

This show seems to have no direction what-so-ever at times, except to backtrack ideas at the most idiotic point. Guys, it's not drama when it makes no sense, it's just stupid. As soon as I feel they have a grasp on how to do a show properly, they pull the rug up from the floor, hang it as a tapestry and then try to vacuum it.
 Roll Eyes

Okay, one more to go and then onto season 2. I will not give season two anymore than 2 or 3 episodes if this kind of crap writing carries over.

I got the damn bat away from Billy Stannup (or however he spells his name), that guy that busted my ribs and I beat his ass with it ... (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, BILLY!!!!) ... I will gladly do the same to this damn show. Just take the pain they are giving me and force it right back on them.
 Angry

Grin

One more episode.  Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 01:40:46 PM »

Ep 23 - Ha, funny how I used in my 'review' of the last episode.
 Grin

Okay, some decent stuff in this episode.

I mean sure, besides the typical over the top CW plot devices (which the big networks also use to be fair) like having a smart girl be dumb enough to go into a known earthquake zone to recover ... some papers? Or: having a kid get ready to help a bus load of trapped people, but first stopping in the middle of the street to talk to and kiss his girlfriend and then wait for her to drive away before helping said people and then showing us how one normal guy can lift about 800 pounds of concrete and countless more typical tv stuff, this was one of the better episodes.

Gotta say, the part where Ollie climbs those chains that bind and then falls to snap the pipe in order to free himself ... that was cool as shit. No doubt about it, grade A coolness.
 Cool

Also enjoyed that parts of the city did get destroyed and that they showed the chaos. Even the thought of that event would be as maddening as they tried to show. And over all the action was again pretty good.

And I also have to say I was shocked at the way the ended this episode. Didn't expect that last scene to be the last scene. Having your hero crying (or trying to cry, with his non-acting self  Grin) was really an odd way to end a "hero" based show. Kinda respect it for being unusual, but also have to say that it is not the best way to end a show. I mean, I don't need (nor usually want) a "Hollywood ending", but you can at least have the hero be in a stoic state of mind, something that this actor can pull off very well. I mean, have the cut and then have a camera swing through his house or his bar and show him sitting crouched in his chair, with elbows on the chair arms, his hands apart yet fingers touching, his head slightly down ... looking 'through' his desk while slowly zooming onto his eyes. Something like that. Not a crying boo-hoo moment. But hey, that's just me.
 Grin

But, overall, another decent episode. So even after the last one, episode 22, there have been like 3 out of 4 decent episodes. Not bad on average.

EDIT - I did forget to add that I thought they handled the Tommy character very well. I always thought he was going to end up being something different and he never did. Good job with that character.

Onto season 2 to see how good this show can get.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:47:14 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »

Yes, I know that the first season was all over most of the time. Yes, I know that it's CW. Yes, I know (and hate!) how it takes a season to get characters right, hold the same voice, and maintain the same motivations.

Yes, I think Laurel, above all others on the show, is the largest, weakest link.

Yes, there are plenty of moments for a stupid pill.

And mayhaps, yes, the enjoyment that I am having now colors memories of the past with that rosy glasses many of us like to wear when remembering.

I know that I am really enjoying this now (but yes, stupid/CW moments are still occurring).

But Perry, if you watch the first 3, and don't have the reaction of "you know what? This can be pretty cool to watch; I'm in!" then please, honestly, STOP. It'll be obvious that this show is not for you at all then!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »

But Perry, if you watch the first 3, and don't have the reaction of "you know what? This can be pretty cool to watch; I'm in!" then please, honestly, STOP. It'll be obvious that this show is not for you at all then!  Cheesy

Smiley
Yep, that is the plan. Give it 3 episodes. If it is the same ... or if I feel the same about it, then I am out. I will have given this show over 1000 minutes, over 18 hours, and if that isn't enough to pull me in ...  Cheesy

I went through all of that so I can get to this point. The point of season 2, where two of you say the show is great. But make no mistake, I only went through all of that because I have a problem. I can't come in late to a show like this. I could've easily started at season 2 (or the last episode of season 1 as suggested) instead of watching an additional 22 episodes of those past, but I am an anal kinda guy. I want to know what, when and how for characters depth and motivation (of course, like you agreed, the motivation of season one was ... well ... all over the place, so that may not have helped)
 Grin

So know this, I don't blame anyone for my time spent on this. We all have our likes and dislikes, I just wanted to see if this show COULD be a like for me, and the only way I could do that was to go from the start.
 Smiley

I hope you know that none of my comments, no matter how harsh, are directed at anyone here. Like I stated, I am just anal as hell when it comes to tv and I find it hard to find enjoyment sometimes because, for some reason, the smallest of things will ruin a show for me. It is a fault I have. Not the people that enjoy the shows like this. You know, what I find great, you may find dismal and vice versa. But bottom line, what I am trying to say is no-one is wrong in what they find enjoyment in. Even if I can't stomach season 2, the fact that at least two Realmers enjoy it is a very good thing!!!
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »

Smiley
Yep, that is the plan. Give it 3 episodes. If it is the same ... or if I feel the same about it, then I am out. I will have given this show over 1000 minutes, over 18 hours, and if that isn't enough to pull me in ...  Cheesy

I went through all of that so I can get to this point. The point of season 2, where two of you say the show is great. But make no mistake, I only went through all of that because I have a problem. I can't come in late to a show like this. I could've easily started at season 2 (or the last episode of season 1 as suggested) instead of watching an additional 22 episodes of those past, but I am an anal kinda guy. I want to know what, when and how for characters depth and motivation (of course, like you agreed, the motivation of season one was ... well ... all over the place, so that may not have helped)
 Grin

[/quote}

Ah...OCD habits....  Grin

And I find no fault at all, nor do I feel any criticism come my way, or anything that you mentioned. If you like the show, I hope you like the show! I think it's great we can have a Green Arrow show! and there is so much more I want, too, but I'm enjoying the ride of it now!

And I certainly don't want you to continue doing anything you feel does become a waste of your time! But hey, valiant effort in the offering too!  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS