HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:58:58 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Earth 2 #0 Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 6795 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

"A Hero's Tale"

*It's the tragic origin of Earth 2's greatest villain! Don't miss Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in action on Earth 2! *Source: dccomics.com

What a great issue! Action packed, fast-paced, well-written, and it explored a lot of Earth 2 that I know I wanted to know about. Well worth the $2.99 cover price! This may be the best single DC Comic issue I've read since Flashpoint ended.

I'm quite disappointed that the Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman of Earth 2 are already dead. After reading this issue I'm far more interested in Earth 2's Superman and Wonder Woman than I am New 52's, and the Bat-Family was cool to see.

And it seems we're gonna see more of Mister 8, and due to the nature of what happened in the issue. It's very likely that it might not be on Earth 2 when we see him again.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

I really like James Robinson. I listen to him about once a month and he gets me laughing my ass off all the time. Also, like almost everyone, I really enjoyed his STARMAN. His Earth 2 however ... I just can't get into. I tried it twice and dropped it each time after 2 issues.

It is as if he doesn't trust Nikola Scott or something. Too many panels of 'descriptive exposition' that irritates the hell out of me.

For example, while battling the heroes, Grundy looks up and says (something along the lines of) - "What is this? Coming from above me?"

Arrhhh. Come on James, we know he is looking up, you don't need that.

The scenes with the 'green flame' and Alan Scott were also so full of unnecessary exposition that it ruined at least 4 pages.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »

I really like James Robinson. I listen to him about once a month and he gets me laughing my ass off all the time. Also, like almost everyone, I really enjoyed his STARMAN. His Earth 2 however ... I just can't get into. I tried it twice and dropped it each time after 2 issues.

It is as if he doesn't trust Nikola Scott or something. Too many panels of 'descriptive exposition' that irritates the hell out of me.

For example, while battling the heroes, Grundy looks up and says (something along the lines of) - "What is this? Coming from above me?"

Arrhhh. Come on James, we know he is looking up, you don't need that.

The scenes with the 'green flame' and Alan Scott were also so full of unnecessary exposition that it ruined at least 4 pages.

I doubt that's Robinson's fault as much as it is DC's fault, telling him to write it so it can fit nicely into a TPB. What do they call that? Expanded writing or something along those lines?

Personally, I don't see that complaint. I'm enjoying the series. And the #0 issue, in particular, you shouldn't have that problem with. It was action-packed and fast-paced.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »

No, No, I don't think you get me.

I am not talking about expanding or overuse of exposition, I am talking about per panel.

Grundy looks up and then says that in one panel. That is nothing but James Robinson's fault. That is just one example. It is like he is giving artistic direction inside the dialog.

It's like reading a 1960's comic where Stan Lee wasn't sure the art relayed what he was trying to express, so he had the characters verbalize each and every action.
"I must shoot my webbing upwards and hope it grabs that water tower, or I will certainly fall to my death!"

THAT is what James is doing at times on Earth 2. Just really bugs me.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »

No, No, I don't think you get me.

I am not talking about expanding or overuse of exposition, I am talking about per panel.

Grundy looks up and then says that in one panel. That is nothing but James Robinson's fault. That is just one example. It is like he is giving artistic direction inside the dialog.

It's like reading a 1960's comic where Stan Lee wasn't sure the art relayed what he was trying to express, so he had the characters verbalize each and every action.
"I must shoot my webbing upwards and hope it grabs that water tower, or I will certainly fall to my death!"

THAT is what James is doing at times on Earth 2. Just really bugs me.

I'll have to go back and look em over. But I never even noticed it, the first time through.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »

Well you still may not notice it.  Smiley It is just, for me, too much.

The last straw was the Grundy response, right before Hawkgirl joined the fight between him and Alan.

Again, just stuff I notice that bug me. Dan Slott irks me on ASM for different reasons that no one seems to be bothered by. I am anal on comic writing. But hey, we all can't like the same things.
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »

Damn you James Robinson! I've dropped this TWICE also and this issue seduces me back.  This is how the whole series should be.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »

Just went and bought Earth 2 #4.  God help me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »

This first storyarc is dragging a little, but still good. However the first issue and the #0 issues were awesome. I'm hoping after they get the origins out of the way, we'll get more action-packed fast-paced stuff like those issues were.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS