HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 03:26:01 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Green Lantern New Guardians Question  (Read 4893 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: December 23, 2012, 06:33:09 AM »

Hello,

Recent issue of GL New Guardians depicts a flashback of Ganthet taking Kyle to Oa for the first time with GLC members flying around and introducing Kyle to Syad for the first time. Was this a mistake or was Kyle never the lone GL with no life on OA where Kyle restarted the Guardians and the corps?

Anyone know?

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »

I can be of no help in this matter, sorry.
  Sad

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »

I pointed this exact thing out on another message board. If Kyle was never a lone Lantern, then Parallax never destroyed the GL Corps. Would that also mean that Hal Jordan was never Parallax? If that's the case, then Rebirth never happened. And if Rebirth never happened, then the Sinestro Corps War never happened. This one mistake could unravel the entire modern GL mythos. Green Lantern could become the Hawkman of this generation (Hawkman was never quite right after the original Crisis).

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »

Thanks,

Come to think of it, were Hal/GL and Oliver/ Green Arrow ever friends in the New 52 DCU? Hal never brought Oliver back to life here.

Since Crisis never took place then neither did any of the Crisis sequels which Parallax was behind one-- Zero Hour. And if Hal was not insane destroying the Corps, then why would Kyle exist as a GL?

New 52 seems to just be an excuse for writers to try to have their cake and eat it too. Wipe out that pesky well of DCU history while simultaneously trying to use bits and pieces of that rich history to write today's stories and just ignore the contradictions which is insulting to intelligent readers. These stunts do take away from the full enjoyment of the story, and it sets up that next year DC can tell me this story never took place the way it was written but in whatever way the writer at that time needs to spin it.

A Time Lord even moreso.
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:23:50 AM »

Also just realized...

Prior to Kyle jumpstarting the rebirth of the Guardians-- there were no active females in the Guardian ranks. Any females from ancient Oa had all transitioned to Zamarons. So, Syad was not just running around carefree and flirty.

Ganthet also evolved from cold to more human over time because of witnessing the almost extinct of his race and the entire GLC. Even after Syad came into existence, there were no immediate feelings shown between her and Ganthet.

And more glaringly-- how did the Guardians justify firing Hal for killing one Guardian after he has wiped out almost all of them?

If the answer to all these questions is that the New 52 history is different, then my next question is why is the new 52 history so secret and taboo?

The fun thing with history is that it cannot be ignored. It keeps being repeated with the re-introduction of the "new" old characters. And it keeps maiking its presence or omission very well felt.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:54 AM »

Uh-Oh, I see the continuity train is going to derail.
 Grin

I think in today's Marvel and DC, you just have to forget all about the word 'continuity' because you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure the 'what' and the 'when'. I think once you get passed '85 or '87, all that stuff just gets lost. Both companies did a pretty good job of keeping track of it all back in the 70's and mostly maintained it in the early 80's, but soon after ... it was like the slope kept getting steeper and the surface kept getting more slippery and eventually it slid into a pot of boiling distorted time-line stew.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 01:38:11 AM »

Oh!

So in other words, pretend I do not see the elephant in the room. And prepare that each story I am currently reading will also be crap much sooner than things from over a decade ago.

As I said earlier, this is not intelligent writing and the logic of what you are suggesting becomes insulting when the writer decides that a false flashback key simply to his tale will really highlight a point.

Best way to try not to get tangled up in history is to NOT use it. My suggestion, these genius writers should simply create all new characters with all new history-- oh wait, then they would lose money by not profiting off historic names.

I do appreciate you trying to help, Perry. It is the hypocrisy of the anti-continuity view that I find hard to digest. And DCs characters/books are not stronger for this element. It takes away from their value. I do not have as much a problem with Marvel on this issue.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 02:46:14 AM »

... I do not have as much a problem with Marvel on this issue.

But why? Trust me, I don't like this lack of continuity anymore than you, and point of fact, it is why I am enjoying the hell out of the Valiant Universe as they still have it in play, but I don't see why Marvel should be deemed less guilty or less responsible than DC.

Of course, I also see it from a company stand point. It is virtually impossible to maintain proper continuity with 80 different characters over 50 plus years with countless editors and writers.

Now true, DC having just rebooted their entire universe (except for Batman and GL) they should have had a better grip on the situation ... and I think I see where it bothers you more with DC having just said that. Nevermind
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS