HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:16:43 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comic Book Day - September 5  (Read 10523 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »

Big week!

BEFORE WATCHMEN SILK SPECTRE #3 (OF 4) (MR) 
DETECTIVE COMICS #0 
EARTH 2 #0 
EPIC KILL #5 
FIRST X-MEN #2 (OF 5) 
GREEN LANTERN #0 
Harvest #2
HAWKEYE #2 
WORLDS FINEST #0 
X-FACTOR #243 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

DC Comics:
-Detective Comics #0
-Earth 2 #0
-Green Lantern #0
-Phantom Stranger #0
-World's Finest #0

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »

-Phantom Stranger #0

I was tempted to get this but I'm not a fan of Didio's writing.  Let me know how it is as I may yet give in to the temptation.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

EARTH 2 #0 
GREEN LANTERN #0 
WORLDS FINEST #0
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

-Phantom Stranger #0

I was tempted to get this but I'm not a fan of Didio's writing.  Let me know how it is as I may yet give in to the temptation.

It's his origin. And it's based in Christianity. That's all I can really give you. Can't tell you if it's bad or good. I'm a religious guy, so I felt it was a little sacrilegious and felt like I should stop reading.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »

Now while I am an atheist and would not be troubled at all from any comic book story based on a Christian history. anymore than I would be upset about a story based on Greek myths, shouldn't your faith also do the same?

Why would a story you know not to be true make you shield your eyes?

Not bashing you or your faith, in fact the very opposite, but just really curious

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »

I'd rather not. This sort of thing always seems to degenerate into a religious debate, and I've been though enough of them to know that neither side ever wins. I probably shouldn't have even said that to begin with. I'd rather things just stay civil.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »

Cool
Not getting into a debate. I just think that your faith should prevail over what is in comic books.

I mean you still read Green Lantern and their history has shown that the big bang happened.  Wink

Comics are comics. Your faith should prevail over anything a writer or ... me may say  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 11:06:36 PM »

I can't speak for Nate but as a Christian comic reader I can speak for myself.

Most of the times religious people are portrayed as the villain or intolerant or just plain dumb.  It's almost always unfair and usually offensive.  I haven't read the Phantom Stranger comuc but I would not be surprised if it misrepresents Christian beliefs since that is the norm.

Like Nate, I would ordinarily avoid the topic altogether as these conversations do go down a rabbit hole that no one wins.  But having known Perry for several years now I feel I can safely say he's only trying to understand and is honestly seeking knowledge and not bating for an argument.

In any case, Nate, your comment actually helped me by reinforceing my intuition not to buy it.  I doubt I would enjoy it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »

Thanks, Jeff.

Yeah, not trying to get into a religious debate as they, and political ones, never seem to end well. Besides I get enough off those as I, being an Atheist, Independent W/Democratic leanings, have them at least two times a week with my Republican, Southern Baptist Step-Father.
 Grin

And yes, Jeff, you're right to look at is Christians getting a bad rap in comics, but just think of it as the looney ones. As I am sure you are aware, every fraction of religion (and non-religion) has its nut jobs. I just always think of the ones holding signs that read "God hates Muties" as being the ones that don't quite get the message of Jesus.
 Wink

EDIT - Hey, it's Sunday and I just mentioned Jesus! I hope this doesn't mar my Atheist cred.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

EDIT - Hey, it's Sunday and I just mentioned Jesus! I hope this doesn't mar my Atheist cred.
 Cheesy

Hey!  There's hope for you yet!

For the most part I just roll my eyes and ignore it if it drives the story but it does lessen my enjoyment.  I just think of them as being in the same camp as those whack jobs that protest soldiers funerals.

The sad thing is they almost never show the good side of religon and religious people which in my experience is the majority.  Nightcrawler was one the best characters because he was a character of faith shown in a positive light as well as having the faith based struggles all Christians go through.  Rahne from X-Factor is just as close but even she at times is portrayed as intolerant.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »

It wasn't about Christians being represented wrong. Apparantly (SPOILER AHEAD):

Phantom Stranger is Judas Iscariot. If you know the Bible then you know he was the Disciple that betrayed Jesus and got him sent to The Cross. Being that I'm a Christian, I didn't feel comfortable reading and enjoying what was a result of it, since it seemed to go against everything I know about Christian philosophy and theology. And I know that's a tough one to swallow for non-believers. I don't expect anyone outside of Christianity to understand. It's not about me shielding myself from anything non-Christian, it's more about me respecting God.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »

Yeah that's dumb.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »

I was raised Baptist, so I am well aware of Judas and his kiss. I have seen how belief can influence one greatly, so I don't condemn anyone that is bothered by this new origin.

I had a chance to read the issue and yes, if you believe one of the two fates of Judas, this does tend to blaze by that, though his fate could end the same (playing devils advocate when I say that his 'end' may yet still be the same).

I could also see, if you have lived in your faith, condemning the man for his betrayal (Satan influenced or just silver) how this may bother you, but the Phantom Stranger's origin ... which ever one you use ... has always been one with a high "biblical history", so unless you were unfamiliar with the character I hope you can let a lot of that slide.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »

Controversy aside, did you think the comic was good?  Is it getting added to the Perry pull list?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS