HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:45:43 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army Thread *SPOILERS*  (Read 7026 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »

This is the thread to discuss the upcoming Green Lantern Crossover Event - Rise of the Third Army.

So, Green Lantern #12 and Green Lantern Corps #12 came out this week. Did you read it? Some pretty big stuff is going down with The Guardians of the Universe. They are systematically taking all the Corps, including their own, out of the picture in order to replace them with their own as of yet to be revealed Third Army.

Looks like a pretty interesting plot-line if you ask me. I'm actually quite intrigued by the mystery of this Third Army. And I'm wondering what the hell is going on with The Guardians of the Universe. I've read Green Lantern for years upon years, and while The Guardians may have been a bit emotionally detached and anti-social; they were never outright evil and manipulating like this. I mean, they're manipulating forces to kill beings, including their own soldiers. Sure, they did banish The Manhunters, but #1 they were machines and #2 they malfunctioned. These are living, breathing people (or aliens).

I'm under the belief (with the little evidence we have as of yet) that The Guardians of the Universe are being manipulated by someone or something else.

And it looks like Kyle Rayner and the New Guardians are the team that have the biggest leg up on The Guardians. They suspected something was up with them since nearly the beginning of their series. I hope we get to see Kyle as the big hero again, I still have a lot of love for that character. I followed his 90s book from first issue to the last.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:24:56 PM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »

In the eyes of the Giardians of the Universe, the GLC has been corrupted beyond repair by emotions and has completely failed. They see the Corps has even corrupted their own peers. That cannot continue. The throughline since Sinestro Corps has been the Guardians eternal war against emotion and change, even Krona was revealed to have been a thorn because he embraced what they refused. He was bat +$&* crazy too!

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »

In the eyes of the Giardians of the Universe, the GLC has been corrupted beyond repair by emotions and has completely failed. They see the Corps has even corrupted their own peers. That cannot continue. The throughline since Sinestro Corps has been the Guardians eternal war against emotion and change, even Krona was revealed to have been a thorn because he embraced what they refused. He was bat +$&* crazy too!

That's not quite how I remember it. The Guardians goal has always been to bring order to a chaotic universe. And they purged themselves of emotion because they believed it would allow them to accomplish this goal easier. It was never a war against emotions themselves. And they were always benevolent beings with the interest of the universe in their hearts and good intentions despite the purging of emotions, and never have I seen them mercilessly kill (or manipulate events in order to kill, which is close enough).

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

I had decided to pass on this crossover and use it as a way to finally wean myself off of Green Lantern.  But I have to say, after finishing Green Lantern Annual #1 I'm finding it difficult to stay away.  The third army revealed there seems kind of dumb to me even though I get the reason they were created. What actually pulls me in is the Black Hand, the mystery of the first lantern and the shadow place.

I may get sucked back in just when I thought I was out!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »

Been really enjoying both GL and GLC so I will certainly catch most of the crossover. No desire what-so-ever to read about the Red Lanterns or the Rainbow lanterns.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

Originally,

The Guardians were cold powerful aliens depicted mostly as protecting the universe.

Since Sinestro Corps, it was revealed that the purging of emotions was not just to make them better but an effort to isolate and contain the other cosmic powers. One of the main motivations behind the current move is that others have access to the powers of the full spectrum now.

Guardians have gone from kind protectors to cosmic bullies.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »

Guardians have gone from kind protectors to cosmic bullies.

Eh, they were that way even before "Zero Hour".

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 04:53:18 AM »

True.

They are going to extremes now. Using the Corps to take out the Alphas and then going after the Corps.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS