HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:53:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: INTRODUCING DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 "0" MONTH  (Read 6856 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »

Timed to the one year anniversary of the launch of the historic DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 initiative, DC Comics will introduce 0 month.

In September 2012, DC Comics will release 0 issues—and we don’t mean we aren’t publishing any titles—but what we will be doing is numbering every DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 title #0.

The #0s will be stand-alone stories. “Some issues will tell the origins of a character or a team, or in some case where an origin has already been told, they will fill in the blanks in terms of questions readers may have about the New 52 DC Universe,” said Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief. “Each of these issues promises to reveal something surprising.”

And debuting at #0 are four new comic book series:

TALON - Co-Writers: Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV. Artist: Guillem March.
Meet Calvin Rose, the only Talon to ever escape the grasp of the Court of Owls. This former assassin of the Court is trying to live a normal life ... but that’s impossible when he’s being hunted by his former masters!

SWORD OF SORCERY – Writer: Christy Marx. Artist: Aaron Lopresti.
Featuring the return of Amethyst, Amy Winston leads a strange life on the road with her mother and resents it. She’s about to learn it’s all been necessary when she discovers she’s the lost princess of Gemworld—and she’s being hunted by her murderous aunt. With a back-up story written by Tony Bedard with art by Jesus Saiz, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the monstrous warrior Beowulf is charged with finding and defeating the evil Grendel.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER - Writer: Dan DiDio. Artist: Brent Anderson.
Spinning out of his recent appearances in JUSTICE LEAGUE and DC’s Free Comic Book Day story, learn more about the true origin of The Phantom Stranger and his connection to the mysterious Pandora.

TEAM SEVEN - Writer: Justin Jordan. Artist: Jesus Merino.
Set in the early days of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, threads of the entire DC Universe collide. As Superman emerges, so does the world’s counter measures against him and his kind. Team 7 is comprised of Dinah Lance, Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor, John Lynch, Alex Fairchild, Cole Cash and Slade Wilson — and their story will change everything you know about DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.

The four new series will follow with issue #1s in October and other series will resume their numbering.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »

TALON

Yep. Another Snyder, another DC book for me.... Maybe.
Not a huge fan of 'March art', but not too opposed to it either (Wonder who is taking on Catwoman) A 'maybe' buy

SWORD OF SORCERY

$3.99 book? With a back-up feature I am guessing it will be. With Saiz on said backup feature, I am thinking I will be trying it (loved his Birds of Prey stuff) and still wanting Bedard to wow my like he did with Negation.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER

DiDio didio nothingio to getio me to buyio

TEAM SEVEN

Seen Superman ... Nothing here for me. Moving along

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »

TALON

Yep.

SWORD OF SORCERY

Nope.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER

Nope.

TEAM SEVEN

Yep.

Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »

Will this cause you to pick up more than normal?  Or save you big bucks because you'll skip the zero issues and pick back up in October?

Just wondering if this marketing ploy will work for them.

I plan on getting the zero issue for the comics I normally get; Aquaman, Batman, Nightwing, Green Lantern, Ravagers; plus probably the Talon one.  I'm even considering picking up a couple of others since they are self contained stories.  So for me, I'm probably gonna pick up more than normal but not much.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »

Plan on adding nothing new myself, but then again, I wanted to be down to only 3 DC books this coming month and I have a feeling that isn't happening.

Want to add Talon, but as Snyder is just subplotting and the other writer really do all the writing, I am leery, even though I guess this guy is one of Scott's prize pupils in his class he teaches. Going to be a last minute addition or subtraction I can tell.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »

I'll check out Phantom Stranger. I've always been curious about the character, and only see him in Crossover Events, it seems.

As for the #0 issues of the existing DC titles, I'll be picking up:

-Earth 2 #0
-Green Lantern #0
-Green Lantern Corps #0
-Green Lantern: New Guardians #0
-Justice League #0
-The Savage Hawkman #0
-World's Finest #0

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:10 AM »

Gotta say that I am reading more of the 0 issues than the regular series.
The insight into the not-so-new DCnU is interesting. I am still annoyed that the Trinity died in Worlds' Finest.

What about you?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »

I'm also reading more of the 0 issues than I normally do and so far I've like the ones I've read.  It's bringing the new DCU together a little more coherently.  For example, Team 7 links history to Suicide Squad, Grifter, Birds of Prey, and Deathstroke.

I'm starting to see how this new universe can bring in new readers.  It's an interesting experiment and could lay the groundwork for a decade of stories similar to they way they did it from the Golden Age to the Silver Age.

Sadly for a lot of us older readers I don't know if we will stick around but if it churns in a new generation of fans/readers then the risk may be worth it.  It's a big risk though since this generation has a lot more other things to pull their attention what with a million channels on TV, on demand entertainment, iPods, iPads, etc.

Only time will tell I suppose.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS