HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:09:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AVENGERS  (Read 10061 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »

AVENGERS #1

Undecided

No, wait. I mean ... well ... yeah ... Undecided

Yep, about sums it up. Not sure if it was personal over-hype on my part, thinking of what Hickman could do, or if it is the revelation of what Hickman just did do. Or perhaps my biggest complaint is what it appears Hickman forgot to do. The overall pacing of this book was so disjointed, so badly paced, that it felt that Hickman forgot to turn in some pages. Or at the very least, some panels. Every other page I read, I flipped back to see if I had mistakenly flipped over two pages, instead of the desired and proper 'one' page.

Okay, look, I am all for non-compressed story-telling. I get that people are not too happy when Bendis takes 4 books to tell one book worth of story, but shit, Hickman, slow your roll a tad. This felt like three books pressed down and over edited into just one.

I love Hickman's stuff, love it. Well, love it with this issue set softly to the side.

I honestly liked what he is showing in the overall plot. The Avengers facing a supreme threat. Sure beats having them face The Wrecker on their first 'new writer' day out, but the pacing just sucked here. S.U.C.K.E.D.

I expect a lot more from one of my favorite writers. I am sure he will deliver ... just not with this issue. The art pretty much saved this issue from being a total dud for me.

4 outta 10 Missing Pages  Angry
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:20:57 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »

The whole thing was one big convoluted mess. I didn't enjoy it at all, and I'm a big Avengers fan.

Yet, strangely enough, the internet comic book community seems to be eating it up.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »

AVENGERS #2

Better. Not great, but certainly better than the first issue. Where as issue 1 felt like it was missing pages (we actually get to see what happened here), this issue ties it up. In fact, Marvel, and we the readers, would probably been better served having these first two issue combined into a $4.99 giant-sized issue 1, but I suppose that is one of the few benefits of publishing a book every two weeks ... shorter turn around time.

Another thing that made this issue better was we actually got to see some of the character's personalities more, and thus making this issue not as cold as the prior issue. Even the villain, who is emotionally cold, has more depth. We understand him more.

The overall flow of the title is still a little "wonky", but certainly not as disjointed as issue #1. It is, overall, just an average comic.

I am struggling to find enough reason to pay the DCBS price of $4.78 a month for this title. Issue 3 and 4 are already on order, but issues 5 and 6 keep getting pulled off and then placed back on this months order form. I just can't decide if I want this title. Although, perhaps that indecision should be the sign I am looking for.

5 outta 10 High Evolutionary's cousins
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:17:52 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »

The reviewers online seem to love this series. I just don't get it. The story is boring and uninteresting with villains I've never heard or care to know about from what I've seen. And the artwork just sucks, IMO. The only Marvel Now titles I've enjoyed so far are Thor: God of Thunder & All-New X-Men. I was really hoping Avengers would be the 3rd since I've been an Avengers fan for years. Too bad.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »

Well the main reason you have never heard of these villains are they are new, created for this title  Wink
The art is the least of the problems for me however, as I said, I am a huge stickler for pacing and flow in static media, and so far this series has just missed it.

I share your confusion towards people that love this series, though from my travels around the inter-webs, I am hearing less than stellar opinions, but I am sure there are those that find it captivating. To each their own however, there should be tons of comics I don't like that others do and vice versa. We can't all like the same thing. Like, for example, I do not share your love for the new X-Men title.  Wink

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »

If you guys want to try a great super hero team book - my favorite hero book on the shelves right now - there's Guardians of the Globe.  Only on issue 4 and there's a ton going on.  It's also $2.99 still.

Not wanting to hijack the conversation, just wanted to put that out there.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »

Tried the first issue and it was okay. Main reason I stopped is I collect INVINCIBLE in hardcover and don't want to be spoiled on any events that may cross-over. If they work it out to be part of the same collection or if it does well enough to get a hardcover version, I will be there.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »

I just finished issue 1 and I'm confused.  Confused by your posts.  This was a great setup issue.  Did not seem disjointed to me at all.  And I thought the pacing was perfect.  It slowly built up to the big splash page at the end.  On to issue 2 and let's see how I feel at the end if that one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »

After you read issue 2, and it fills in all the ... missing pieces, you will see what I was talking about.

If not, glad you enjoyed it, anyway.  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »

Issue 2.  This seems like classic Hickman to me.  He takes all the pieces of a shattered mirror and carefully puts them back together.  He gives you hints of things to come and then takes you on a cosmic journey to get there.

I really like the way this is going and the characters he picked are interesting choices.  I've always liked Cannonball and can't wait to see how he fares in the Avengers world.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »

So ... you admit issue one was "shattered"  Wink

Grin

Hickman has certainly used the "see this now and find out later" style before, but never has his pacing been worse than it was on issue #1. Issue #2 was certainly better than that mess.

But again, we all can't agree or it would be a boring ass world.  Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »

Shattered yes.  Disjointed no.  This is one of those rare ones we probably won't agree on (which I know neither of us will have a problem with).  I thought the pacing of both was fine and the story flow made sense.  Maybe I've just become used to Hickman since I've read all of his stuff.  Reminds a little bit of S.H.I.E.L.D. series in its cosmic flow. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »

Maybe I've just become used to Hickman since I've read all of his stuff.  Reminds a little bit of S.H.I.E.L.D. series in its cosmic flow. 

I can't think of anything by Hickman that I have missed (even the early PAX ROMANA and NIGHTLY NEWS stuff, before he was the name he is now) so I don't think that is why I am having a problem with that issue. And I certainly never found his S.H.I.E.L.D remotely disjointed and in fact really enjoyed it ... even though I stopped reading it after issue 15 or so  Grin.

Even his F4 run where we are shown ... ever so slowly, his plan was not at all as poorly paced as AVENGERS #1. No this is not a lack of familiarity with Hickman or his style, this was just a book that I found truly a mess, in a most un-Hickman like manner.

But you're right, I think we can both live just fine knowing we disagree on this point.  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »

Fair enough.  Sounds like this is truly just a difference of opinion then.

Funny though because I thought SHIELD actually was really disjointed but I still loved how it all came together.  Especially when it leaked into Secret Warriors.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 06:57:51 PM »

Funny though because I thought SHIELD actually was really disjointed ...

Grin We just barely missed each other with the opinions, that's all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS