HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:45:32 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thor: God of Thunder!  (Read 24433 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 07:32:30 PM »

Issues #s 16 and 17

The finale of the Accursed arc.

Overall better than the first three issues, but not a spectacular run. Had a very shocking moment in issue 16 that had me worried for a few. I had thought Aaron had really lost who Thor was when he had Thor
use his mighty hammer to crush the skull of a character into paste. That was later shown to be an illusion.
Glad I read these issues back-to-back, as waiting an entire month to see what happened would have sucked.
 Cheesy

Looking back at the entire arc, even though I liked the inclusion of all the other characters from the other realms coming together to create this "league", this arc just seems like a mild D&D story instead of a Thor story. However, the way this arc ended, setting up for the next arc for Garney (or whomever it will be after Ribic's return), has really got me pumped for the future. I have a feeling someone is about to return and I can't wait for it.
 Smiley

Even so, taking this entire arc into consideration, as much (or as little) as these last two issues improved the the enjoyment for me, it still was just an average, everyday, run of the mill comic run in the end. Gonna stick with my initial grade -

6 outta 10 - Damn rotten Dark Elves

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »

Issue #18

One of those very rare but oh so great done-in-one issues that come down the pipe every so often. I truly recommend to anyone and everyone that just wants to read a good comic, go pick this puppy up at your LCS, if you got some spare money and you want to read an early, pre-Mjolnir, Thor story, with some good humor.

The first page has Thor waken from a drunken stupor inside the mouth of a dragon.
 Cheesy

A solid and very enjoyable issue that shows us a relative to the Midgard Serpent ... oh yeah ...  Smiley

9 outta 10 -  tankards of Grog that smell like "rotten horses"

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »

I totally agree.  Issue 18 is great!  I laughed.  I cried.  I got hungover.

Aaron is doing good work here.  Although I probably could have done with less vomit.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »

Although I probably could have done with less vomit.   Cheesy

Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:13 AM »

A great standalone issue; and I enjoy how this next arc is starting!

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

Grin
Exactly

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:15 AM »

Uh uh.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/15/thor-is-now-woman/

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 01:11:40 AM »

Roll Eyes

All I needed to see was FOX news to know this was going to be a story giving a back-handed slap for for a comic promoting Women. And lo and behold ... Love how they stress the "HE" in the oath, because ya know, FOX News is full of dicks.
(But wait, there's more)

Yes, "Captain America better watch out" indeed. If you buy a Thor comic with a girl in the starring role, the Terrorist win. Just like the uproar they gave about the new Ms Marvel.

And in typical FOX News watchers style, one commenter says - "This is sick"
And then one chimes in with this gem - "unemployment rate among African American teens...41.6%"  Roll Eyes

What a high class of douche bags

Asses.

And love the one on the side they have - "Archie's shooting death. Only in Obama's America
 Roll Eyes

Jason Aaron writing I am on it. I look forward to seeing this female Thor.

I hope the poor white males at Fox will forgive me. No, I hope they don't.

EDIT - Listening to/watching the free Dave Mathews concert Yahoo has on right now, yet I keep going back to see more of the comments that are getting posted. HAHA. Getting better the more the eastcoast rednecks get more drunk.

Another highlight of FOX comment section -
"When you have a president who prefers MOM Jeans and a former secretary of state who prefers pants suits......the progressives/marxists turn to a reliable outlet fantasy land to put forth a worthy hero.  The perverse continues."

"Does  Stan Lee approve of this, or even know about it? Why do this? If they want a female character like Thor, why not just CREATE a new one? Why do these guys feel the need to do this? Yes, it is just a comic book, but where does it end? What character will be feminized nest? I have no objection to strong female comic heroes, but why do these guys feel the necessity to destroy the male characters? Sad statement on our society when this is the agenda."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"@stldsf1 It does bother me. It's the principle of the thing. I'm tired of the feminist agenda in this country."

Oh good lord. Jeff, please don't tell me you're a "foxer"
 Smiley

EDIT 2 -
Finally someone gets it ... kinda ...
"Doesn't the comic of a Pagan Norse God, Thor go against God already?"
 Cheesy

"Poisoning the minds of children again I see. Liberals are a cancer eating out the heart of a once great nation."

All because Marvel is making a marketing ploy?  Grin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:29:29 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 01:33:19 AM »

Now please understand ... I share the same feeling of MSNBC.

I hate any side that promotes absolute anything.
There are good Dem's and good Repub's but if you listen to FOX or MSNBC you are just listening to what you want to hear.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »

Really, all I wanted to do was talk about the character.  I have to agree with the one person that they should have created a new character.  You know my feelings on when they change a character I love to be politically correct (I.e. Wally West).

I'll withhold my full judgement until I see what Aaron is doing.  He's not perfect (Incredible Hulk, Wolverine and the X-Men) but he's been pretty near perfect on Thor so far.

By the way, FOX NEWS RULES!!!!!!

(Sorry guys, just trying to see if I can push what's left of Perry's sanity over the edge.  I'm sadistic that way)   Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »

It is good to see we actually are on the same page.  MARKETING PLOY.

I laughed when I read this is permanent .

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 02:00:15 AM »

Really, all I wanted to do was talk about the character.  I have to agree with the one person that they should have created a new character. 

But it is going to have to be a new character. This character will not have been Donald Blake, will not have had the hots for Jane Foster and will not have had the Enchantress swooning over him ... her. Or at least I don't think that is what they are doing.

Yes, it is Thor, but unlike other characters (IE Wally) Thor is only gone in name. This will be Thor, but Thor's past is not gone. In fact, he will still be around, it is just that he is no longer worthy of holding Mjornir. Thor has not been changed INTO a girl, per se, it is just a female that is the current Thor. It's just another character holding the hammer. Even if Thor is there one minute and then a bolt from Odin makes the switch, Thor will still be ... somewhere.

Think of this as Beta Ray Bill.

But again, even if the "Switch" him to a female, it won't be Thor exactly.

Again, that is what I think. But I could be totally wrong and ... well, I will still buy.
 Grin

By the way, FOX NEWS RULES!!!!!!

Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »

It is good to see we actually are on the same page.  MARKETING PLOY.

I laughed when I read this is permanent .

Yeah, lets see if there is still a female Thor when Chris Hemsworth's pure male version hits the screen.
 Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS