HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:21:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thor: God of Thunder!  (Read 24432 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 03:09:54 AM »

My LCS has multiple locations in town.  Lucky for me there is one by my work and one by my house.  Went to the one by my house and they had plenty of copies.  I now have both!   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »

A-ha. Well now one can only hope you enjoy them half as much as I did. I love me some Thor, so the bias may be strong.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »

So I read issues 1 & 2.  Great story.  I actually enjoyed issue 2 better than 1 which bodes well.  This reminds me of Aaron's story telling on Scalped which I loved. Yep, I'll keep this one on the pull list for awhile.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »

I would never have picked this up if not for the Realm.  I am so glad you guys recommended this.

I just finished issue 4 and I am really enjoying this story.  Gorr was not a villain I thought I'd like but he has turned out to be quite the adversary.  Can't wait to find out what is motivating him.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »

Issue #'s 13, 14, 15 (THE ACCURSED parts 1-3)

The bad - Just an average Thor run. It just seems like I am reading these last few issues on auto-pilot more than actually reading them. I like what I am reading, but I am not having fun while going through the process.

The problem with Thor as a character is the limited amount of directions you can go with the character. While I understand that and have accepted that in the past (and will continue to do so) as I enjoy the character that much, this story just fits right inside of that "here is another Thor fighty fighty story arc".

The Good - Aaron is doing a great job showing the other realms. Thor is not just about Asgard. He is about the other 8 realms as well, and Aaron is doing a fine job showcasing characters from those other worlds. Worlds that are very important to what/who Thor is as a character. Making all of these different characters work together with one goal is a great idea. Especially for any newcomers to this title.

Sadly, these issues, as I said, are just not very fun.

I still have the last issue of this arc to read, so I am hopeful that it will end strong or at least bring me some joy in the reading, but so far ... eh ... just a stop gap until the next arc that looks to be AMAZING!!!

(collectively) 6 outta 10 - Drunken giants

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »

eh, it's like every other thing Jason Aaron does. Start off great! amazing! superbly! then degenerate into averageness bordering on mediocrity.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »

I liked it but yeah - it was just something to tie into the movie.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »

eh, it's like every other thing Jason Aaron does. Start off great! amazing! superbly! then degenerate into averageness bordering on mediocrity.

You keep saying that but I have to disagree. I liked SCALPED for what ... 60 issues, I liked his Punisher for what ... 20 something issues, I liked what I have read of his Wolverine stuff (esp what Jeff sent me ... I think that was Aaron). I can't comment on his Ghost Rider run as I have never read it, but what books have you read where he drops off with his writing skills? Maybe I can understand better.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »

Issue #'s 13, 14, 15 (THE ACCURSED parts 1-3)

The bad - Just an average Thor run. It just seems like I am reading these last few issues on auto-pilot more than actually reading them. I like what I am reading, but I am not having fun while going through the process.

The problem with Thor as a character is the limited amount of directions you can go with the character. While I understand that and have accepted that in the past (and will continue to do so) as I enjoy the character that much, this story just fits right inside of that "here is another Thor fighty fighty story arc".

The Good - Aaron is doing a great job showing the other realms. Thor is not just about Asgard. He is about the other 8 realms as well, and Aaron is doing a fine job showcasing characters from those other worlds. Worlds that are very important to what/who Thor is as a character. Making all of these different characters work together with one goal is a great idea. Especially for any newcomers to this title.

Sadly, these issues, as I said, are just not very fun.

I still have the last issue of this arc to read, so I am hopeful that it will end strong or at least bring me some joy in the reading, but so far ... eh ... just a stop gap until the next arc that looks to be AMAZING!!!

(collectively) 6 outta 10 - Drunken giants

I knew it as soon as I saw the solicits. Another attempt at Marvel trying to have their comics mirror the movies. It's not a coincidence that Malekeleth is the villain in both.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »

It's not a coincidence that Malekeleth is the villain in both.

Absolutely not. 100% agree.

That said however, and even though I am not getting what I would consider my fill of fun in this arc, I don't blame Marvel for doing just that. It would be stupid not to. Regardless of how few people jump on the title for the movie connections, it would be crazy not to try.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »

You keep saying that but I have to disagree. I liked SCALPED for what ... 60 issues, I liked his Punisher for what ... 20 something issues, I liked what I have read of his Wolverine stuff (esp what Jeff sent me ... I think that was Aaron). I can't comment on his Ghost Rider run as I have never read it, but what books have you read where he drops off with his writing skills? Maybe I can understand better.

Ghost Rider dropped off.
Wolverine dropped off (coiuldn't follow it to Weapon X title)
Hulk NOSE-DIVED to terrible at issue 9.
X-men Schism blech! (but that may be the price of reading that storyline)

I couldn't get into Scalped, and it was ...7-9 issues for me.

I'm not calling it awful! He just turns into ok, and ok usually means a drop.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »

Well we all have our own likes, but I though HULK was horrible piece of crap to begin with so I don't see how you can say that dropped off. I mean from issue #1 it was... just not good.
 Cheesy

Schism was only 5 issues ... I never read it, but I would call that a bad ending rather than dropping off. It didn't have time to drop off.  Wink Grin

And you didn't like SCALPED. Okay, I understand, but not liking something is ... well ... again ... okay.

Thanks for showing me some examples, though. It just looks to me like you're not an Aaron fan. And that's fine.  Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »

Well, all we do is share opinions, and those are mine. For the moment, I've really liked all the stuff up to and with Godbomb...but Aaron is a guy with some great stories...and not so great stories. I'm not calling him bad, but I see what I expect to happen.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »

Well, all we do is share opinions, and those are mine.

Totally get that. Not harassing you  Grin sorry if it came across as anything like that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:28:29 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »

I liked what I have read of his Wolverine stuff (esp what Jeff sent me ... I think that was Aaron).

Yes it was.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS