HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:24:16 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thor: God of Thunder!  (Read 24428 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 23, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »

Hmmmmmmm.  Jason Aaron writing Thor?  I gotta try this out!

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #1 & 2
JASON AARON (W) • ESAD RIBIC (A&C)
variant cover by JOE QUESADA
BABY VARIANT cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG
ARTIST VARIANT COVER by Daniel Acuna
Sketch Variant by JOE QUESADA
Design Variant by ESAD RIBIC
Variant Cover by TBA (#2)
Blank Cover Variant Also Available (#1)
Throughout the ages, the gods of the Marvel Universe have been vanishing, their mortal worshippers left in chaos. NOW! the Mighty Thor follows a trail of blood that threatens to consume his past, present and future selves. The only hope for these ravaged worlds lies with the God of Thunder unraveling the gruesome mystery of the God Butcher!
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ ...$3.99 (EACH)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »

Love Thor
Love Ribic
Love Aaron
Don't like the idea of adding another double shipped $3.99 book.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

I ultimately passed on it too.  I didn't want to add another double shipped title as well.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »

Unlike Iron Man #1, this was a fantastic first issue! It did what a first issue should do; it grabbed my attention and left me wanting more after reading the last panel.

Cool looking art that really fit the style. It pulled me into the world (which this story is set in the past, the Viking past to be exact). And it had a very Viking feel to it all, which is great since Thor is a Viking god.

I wish the order system wasn't two months ahead of time on Previews, I already opted out of #2, since I'm not normally a big Thor fan, and my LCS never orders extras unless they know for a fact it's gonna be a big seller.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »

my LCS never orders extras unless they know for a fact it's gonna be a big seller.

No shelf stock?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »

Nope. There's always Barnes & Nobles, though, if I can find a copy that's not thrashed. They'll probably get it in about the time the LCS gets Thor #3 in, lol.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »

Grin

Well, let me know if you can't find a copy. If I can find them here I will pick you one up if you need it

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

THOR issues #1 and #2

A little set up first. I'm lying in bed (or is it laying? I always forget) and I can't sleep, so about 12:30 I go downstairs to read. I look at my pile of comics, which is about a foot tall and then I glance at my buddy's pile he lent me which has only a few comics. I chose that one to start knocking down.

I read X-FACTOR #248 (Which had the strangest art I have even seen in a Marvel comic)
I read FF #1 (Which was a continuation of F4 #1)
I read NEW AVENGERS #s 33 and 34 (Last issues of that title)

Overall, a decent time spent reading ... and then I read THOR #s 1 and 2

Wow

Rarely do writer, artist, colorist and character all meld into a solid piece of fiction that is truly 100% praise worthy, but this new THOR title easily grabs that prestige. From Aaron's spot on rendition of Thor, in all phases, past, present and future, to Ribic's beautiful painted style art work to the sublime soft coloring of Dean White, all aspects shine through to make this easily the book(s) of the month.

Issue #1 left me intrigued with this new (though similar) threat. This 'God killer'. But threat aside, the way Aaron broke this issue into three different times in Thor's life was wonderfully executed. Never did it seem jumbled or over the top. Just perfect pacing for each time-line. I did think the aliens praying to Thor and him answering was a little much, but I was easily brought back to awe within seconds.

And Ribic can work expressions into character's faces like nobodies business, and man does it ever work here.

With Issue #2, I found the energy ramped 10 fold as this issue had a lot more action and the threat came into more focus. And wowza, what a threat. This guy is a take no prisoners kinda God Killer.  Grin We saw the results of his brutality in issue one, but seeing it in action (poor horse) was something to see. The aerial Thor fight was gorgeous and exciting and as it is rare for me to find true excitement in comics anymore, this was a true treat.

I went to bed after reading the Thor issues, I shouldn't have. For while my eye lids were getting heavy finishing Bendis' Avengers, Aaron's Thor just proved to awaken me more than when I first came down the stairs to begin all this. Funny thing, when I did finally get to sleep, I dreamt I had my long hair back ... yes, I was hair swinging rocker in my youth ... and I think I was waiting for Aaron to write my story
 Cheesy

This title made such an impact, not only am I going to try and buy these issues from my boy Dave, but I have to add this title to my pull. I have to.

THOR #1 and #2
10 outta 10 fighting Norsemen
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:33:14 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

Dammit.  I'm going to have to get this aren't I?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »

I would swing by your LCS and flip through the first issue. I can't imagine you not liking it, but I was also reading this at about 2 AM, so ...
 Grin

Seriously, if you can find that issue one, I would read it and go from there. I wish I didn't ... it is costing me.  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »

Was able to buy issues 1 and 2 from my boy for a six-pack of Bud-Light ... ewwww his taste in beer just flat out sucks ... but YAY for me !!!!!  Smiley

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19:08 PM »

Was able to buy issues 1 and 2 from my boy for a six-pack of Bud-Light ... ewwww his taste in beer just flat out sucks ... but YAY for me !!!!!  Smiley

It goes down like water. I didn't get #2  Sad I just have to keep an eye out for it's newsstand release at Barnes & Noble.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 11:44:58 PM »

You added it to your pickups for Nov 28th? Or is that a list of what you are "planning" on picking up and it wasn't there?

Either way, Like I said ...  if you want and when I head to the LCS I can look for it for you, if you want to throw me a couple bucks after I snatch it.  Smiley

Of course, Ebay is also always an option if you also need issue #3. That way you can grab both

Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 03:59:27 AM »

I grabbed #2 today at my LCS and they have a ton of them,  same offer as Perry if you want meto grab one for you.

I'm not gonna read it until I find #1. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:17 AM »

Jeff, You email DCBS about issue 1 to see if they have it?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS