HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:32:10 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Nintendo Power: Magazine Shutting Down After 24 Years  (Read 4393 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/rip-nintendo-power-magazine-shutting-down-24-years-182014659.html

RIP Nintendo Power: Magazine Shutting Down After 24 Years

It looks like Nintendo Power -- one of the longest-running video game publications -- is shutting down.

For more than 23 years the publication has offered monthly coverage of the Nintendo gaming ecosystem. In 2007, Nintendo stopped publishing the magazine and shifted responsibilities to Future Publishing.

[More from Mashable: Behold the Fearmaster: Activision’s Gaming Gun With a Twist [EXCLUSIVE]]

As first reported by Ars Technica, the venerable brand is preparing to shut down after Nintendo and Future decided not to renew a publishing contract.

According to Ars Technica's source, Nintendo seemed uninterested in taking over publication of the magazine themselves or in creating more digital initiatives to prolong the health of the brand.

Nintendo Power editors initially tweeted what looked to be confirmation of the magazine's demise but those tweets have now been removed. Writers at Nintendo Power are reportedly being transitioned to other Future publications.

Nintendo Power is just the latest video game magazine to go out of print. In late 2011, GamePro ceased publication after 23 years. In 2009, Ziff Davis stopped publishing Electronic Gaming Monthly -- although the magazine was revived by a different publisher in 2010.

If you were anything like me, large portions of your childhood were spent buried in the pages of the original Nintendo Power. I would spend hours pouring over each issue, reading about upcoming games and existing favorites. The first hundred issues or so are tucked away in my parent's basement, living on as mementos of childhood I'm still unready to discard.

How sad. Glad I still have a lot of these from the older days.

It's especially sad to see because lately, the magazine has REALLY gone up in quality. Great articles and features, retro sections, and posters or timelines along with the standard reviews which used to be all it was.

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »

Very unfortunate, but with technology being the way it is, magazines are slowly becoming a dying breed.  By the time the magazines hit the newsstands, it's already old news.  Why wait for the latest critical reviews, when you can go to Gamespot or IGN?  The internet always breaks the details first on the latest games, and game guides or walkthroughs can be found on almost every site....like Games Radar or GameFAQs.

I still subscribe to Playstation Magazine and Game Informer, but once these subscriptions run out, I'm pretty much done with these too...

krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:14 AM »

I have every single issue that was released of the magazine through it's subscription.  Never missed an issue.  Even when I didn't have the system and even when I didn't have the games, I kept those magazines.  I'll miss it.

The Official Playstation Magazine (also published by Future) has also shut it's doors.  Xbox is the only system that has it's own mag now. 

I'm happy that Electronic Gaming Monthly is back (even if they're sort of a misnomer because they're published other month) and I get my Game Informer subscription free from work... I just miss the days of EGM and Gamepro and VG & CE and Game Players and Electronic Games and.....

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS