HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:34:03 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HYPERNATURALS  (Read 4012 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 01, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »

HYPERNATURALS ISSUE #1

*sigh*

After reading this, I get what this was suppose to be going for, but sadly, it didn't get there for me. This was just an average issue 1 of an average sci-fi comic that kept me harkening back to Legion/Nova/Guardians/Alien Legion the entire time I was reading. I couldn't get into THESE characters without trying to relate them to others I have come across.

Structurally, everything is here to build a good story on, but sadly, it just seems like I have seen these bricks too many times before.

A good, yet average comic. Not bad enough to slam but yet not good enough for me to stick around. I am not buying average books any longer.

5 outta 10 Q-Link terminals

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:35:59 AM »

Did you read the free comic book day issue?  It showed the events leading up to issue 1 so for me THAT actually felt like the first issue and this was a good second issue that actually pulled me in a little more.

It's funny, I felt the way you do only I felt it about the FCBD isuue.  Now I'm more interested.

Maybe you need to give it a couple of issues?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

Did you read the free comic book day issue?  It showed the events leading up to issue 1 so for me THAT actually felt like the first issue and this was a good second issue that actually pulled me in a little more.

It's funny, I felt the way you do only I felt it about the FCBD isuue.  Now I'm more interested.

Maybe you need to give it a couple of issues?

Yeah, I read the FCBD issue, and actually liked it. With this one ... again, it was not bad, good art, decent story, it just left me thinking more of Alien Legion (although not exactly similar at all) and how much I miss that series from back in the day. Hell even had a little bit of Giffen's LoSH deja vu in there for me. Which hell, if your going to remind of something, there are worse things to remind me of.
 Grin

I just left feeling like I read TRIO all over again (without that 'out of date' feeling). I just had this, been here before vibe ... and I kind of liked it better before.

Who knows, I could just walk into the ole LCS next month and snatch up a copy of issue 2, for as you imply, it does deserve the classic '3 issue try'. Just for me, a person looking to cut down on monthlies and get back into my HC buying more, this was an opening to diminish my amount of floppies.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »

I hear ya.  I don't know if this will last long on my pull list either for similar reasons but I'm likely to give it the first arc.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »

I read the FCBD issue and decided that this book isn't for me.

The art is great, but perhaps this book needs quirkier art?  I don't know. 

The characters and their world never struck me as anything I want to learn more about.  And it's difficult for me to be interested in this vague threat, whatever it is.

I'm glad Boom is giving a new property a chance, but, man, I still miss The Anchor badly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS