HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:55:12 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HAWKEYE  (Read 12664 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 06, 2012, 01:05:06 AM »

I am really struggling with the thought of adding this new title to my pull.

On the one hand, I have done very well knocking my pull list back down to a reasonable, more easily readable amount of titles. I have also been enjoying more Non-big two books and this of course classifies as one of those. I also think Fraction is such a hit or miss with me that I may regret giving it a shot (His Thor is suspect while his Iron Man run was/is fantastic)

On the other hand, I do like the fact that it is a $2.99 comic and I would like to show support for that price point. I also thoroughly enjoy Aja's art, even when it is like this simplistic (not a knock) Samnee style, and last time he teamed up with Fraction they knocked it out of the park on IMMORTAL IRON FIST. I also like that while technically a 'super-hero',  Hawkeye fills into that category I am most loving at the moment ... the non-powered (or limited powered) Marvel character.

I am sure DCBS will have a sale on it and force my hand, but at least I am giving more thought this time around and not jumping in JUST because I see the nice, shiny #1

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:11:34 AM »

I love Hawkeye and am looking forward to the series.

AVENGERS FUCKING ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

- Hitgirl
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »

I just finished my first pass on my preorder and this went on the list.  I was only considering it because Hawkeye's one of my favorite characters.  When I saw Fraction and Aja together again (absolutely LOVED Immortal Iron Fist - stilled pissed it got cancelled) it was a no brainier.  On the list.

Plus DCBS has it discounted to $1.49 (hand is now forced, I'm sure) Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:22:19 AM »

First issue seemed a little disjointed. I'm hoping it gets better.

I did like the Iron Fist joke though.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »

Issue 2

I'm not feeling the same vibe I got from Fraction and Aja's Iron Fist.  It's not bad but I'm not getting drawn in.  Plus, is it me or is there something wrong with Aja's art on this title?  So far I'm not wowed.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »

First issue seemed a little disjointed. I'm hoping it gets better.

I am chalking this up to one of those rare occasions that you and I just don't agree.  Wink

ISSUE #1

I thought this was a prime example of when comics are good, they are great. This was great. From non-explained opening scene to heart felt conclusion of having to rename a dog, I thought this was easily the book of the month ... ummmm ... last month (And this was after reading the 1st issue of HABINGER that I really enjoyed).

Fractions humor is on point through-out the issue, yet blends in well with the over all vibe of the plot.

Aja's 'rough-style' on this title (compared to the cleaned up inked style of IIF) works perfectly here as well. This is a down and dirty, gritty book and the art shows that and enhances it.

Yeah, Bro, I gotta disagree, Bro.
 Grin

This is a fine addition to the pull and easily slides in my top 5 on my list of true keepers.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »

Hmmmm.  We're not usually way off on Marvel comics.  Might have to pull them both back out and re-read.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:48 AM »

Hmmmm.  We're not usually way off on Marvel comics. 

That is true. Not THIS far off. I suppose it could happen though.  Cheesy
(Of course issue 2 fell into the monthly shipping switch, so I have another two weeks to wait on that puppy  Angry)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:22:20 AM »

HAWK'GUY issue #6  Wink

Okay, okay. Let me get this out right up front, bro. Any comic series that not only shows us, the reader, that our beloved hero owns a laser disc copy of BLADE RUNNER, but then also proceeds to have our hero quote from said movie, is not only a comic series worth talking about, it is one worth owning.

This has to be the funniest comic on the market. And yes, sometimes the humor takes center stage, but with-in these pages there is also a great story about a normal guy just trying to make it through life as a hero, a mentor, an Avenger and a landlord.

Thanks to the great David Aja on art, scenes in this book are often just as hilarious without the dialog. Case in point in this issue, we find our hero, Clint fighting along side Wolverine and Spidey. They are up against the notorious and often ludicrous, A.I.M. The great thing is how Aja presents it like a video game ...

The pic just can't do the page justice, but it is awesome.

I know I have talked a lot of smack about certain comics, some good, some bad, but this series is my favorite title on the shelf right now. Bar none. Even better than my Valiant books and that is saying a lot.

The only thing keeping this issue from being a perfect 10, is Aja takes a little too much liberty with some of the panel placements and a couple pages kinda get muddled as far as which panel should be next to read. It's not too bad, but enough to know the issue down a tad.

9 outta 10 arrows in a satellite dish

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »

Smiley
Another page, this time more of a scan, of issue #6 (Thanks to Bleeding Cool)-

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 01:17:11 AM »

9 outta 10 arrows in a satellite dish

Cheesy

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:44 AM »

loving this title...just wish it would be published Sad
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 01:11:26 PM »

How many issues of this has come out in the last 5 months? 1? 2?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »

Don't know. Got dropped after Pizza dog issue. Whatever special and interesting  about this just faded from my interest. Kind of like " neat! Enjoyed that! well...not forever! I mean, no one wants to eat Cadbury eggs ever day, just at Easter. Kinda how I feel like this book."

Sorry, Hawkguy. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

Don't know. Got dropped after Pizza dog issue. Whatever special and interesting  about this just faded from my interest.

Hmmmm, was that because of the delays? Pizza dog was a fantastic issue, can't see that being a reason to drop it. The opposite in fact.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS