HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:17:02 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TRIO  (Read 4315 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 18, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »

Trio #1

The good - The paper. No, not the lame ass character within the book, but the actual paper they used to print this. Much like Marvel is doing with their $2.99 books, they are using the same paper for the cover as they are on the inside. IDW's stock has a little more sturdy feel to it and also has a nice matte finish. It feels odd in your hand at first, but I really like.
Kudos to IDW for that. Now how about dropping the price to $3.50 when you do that though, huh?

The Bad - It's Fantastic Four minus one, or Fantastic Three. No shocking revelation there, we all knew this was going to be Byrne getting back to his great love, but that is what it is. Sadly, it is early 80's FF. Which while there is nothing wrong with that as I enjoy early 80's FF, I have early 80's FF. Why do I need it again. It even has a sub-aquatic "bad-guy" making an appearance in next months issue. Is this scaly-Namor? Will he fall in love with our Asian Sue Storm?

I knew going in what this would be, and it's fine, in fact a little better than I thought it would be, but the scissor hand thing, the 80's dialog and of course .....

Will absolutely hate it if the 'rock' character turns into a boy when/if he transforms  Roll Eyes

.... Just means this is a certain and rapid drop from my pull

4 outta 10 paper-cuts
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:11:06 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »

ROFLOL!

I can't wait to get mine now.  Like a fly to a bug zapper - gotta see the train wreck.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »

Grin

Well, again, it's not horrible. It is just ... it is what it is.

The dialog was pretty bad though. One of the bad guys, while trying to shoot 'Paper' says -
"Whenever she's edge-on ... she disappears!!!"
That is just laughable, silver age jargon.
 Cheesy

Again, okay if you are in the mood (I do read 1930's Doc Savage books with even worse language usage and slang), but, eh, nothing really to see here. Except for maybe the distracting coloring work on "Three" (Thing˝)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

And hey, not only can you get Namor in issue 2 ... you can have Dr. Doom in issue #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

I finally got down to this in the stack.  It made me laugh.  Not because your supposed to but it just seems like Byrne is playing a colossal joke on his fans with the whole concept.  Even the Don Heck strip at the end makes a little fun of how Byrnes new stuff is like his Marvel old stuff.

I enjoyed reading it for the experience if not the actual story.  Like Perry said, it's not bad but I won't be getting it on a regular basis.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS