HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:26:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A vs X  (Read 29825 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« on: April 07, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »

come on, no one has anything to say...i know someone other than me read this.

This is off to a real solid start imo and how can you not like 34 pages with no adds and some of the best JRjr art than I've seen in a while for $4.

like i said...come on...
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »

come on, no one has anything to say...i know someone other than me read this.

Well Jeff and I don't get our issues until this week  Grin Bi-Weekly through DCBS. We'll get there.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »

I read and enjoyed it. But I also got an excruciating headache on Wednsday that made it hard to think about anything else. That's why I didn't say anything on here.

AVENGERS FUCKING ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

- Hitgirl
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »

Don't worry - I'll speak up once my issue gets here!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »

So far so good...

Going from Frank Cho's art in #0 to JRJR's in Round 1 felt like a step down though.  Just sayin....

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »

I got it and thought it was a GREAT start!
Did I miss anything by not getting AvX #0?
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »

If you think #1 kicked it off well, you should hunt down #0.  Much better start I felt.

You missed some pretty good drama when Wanda (Scarlet Witch) was dragged back to the Avenger's mansion for a reunion.....Vision pretty much let her have it!  Then Hope and Cyclops had a little exchange about her place in the world....before Hope went and took on the entire Serpent Society!

Also, Frank Cho's beautiful artwork was pretty damn flawless as usual. 

Grab a copy when you hit the LCS!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »

If you think #1 kicked it off well, you should hunt down #0.  Much better start I felt.

You missed some pretty good drama when Wanda (Scarlet Witch) was dragged back to the Avenger's mansion for a reunion.....Vision pretty much let her have it!  Then Hope and Cyclops had a little exchange about her place in the world....before Hope went and took on the entire Serpent Society!

Also, Frank Cho's beautiful artwork was pretty damn flawless as usual. 

Grab a copy when you hit the LCS!

I agree - grab #0 for Frank Cho's art alone but especially the Scarlet Witch / Vision story.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »

Did anyone download Marvel's AR app and see what all the hype is about with integrating augmented reality into this storyline?  I'm curious.  I'll try it out tonite.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »

Did anyone download Marvel's AR app and see what all the hype is about with integrating augmented reality into this storyline?  I'm curious.  I'll try it out tonite.

But of course I did  Grin

It is more an idea than an execution, but it has some "neatness" to it. Alonso walking across my screen was pretty funny and I did like the art progressions they showed, but again, the idea of this is better than what is actually here.

I really think it would be cool for character bio's (also here in this issue) for new readers but beyond that ... eh. But hey, it's free, so what the hell, play with it.

The issue was really fun and JR's art is a lot better here, on issue 1, than it has been on Avengers or anything else in awhile. Lot more polished and not as boxy or scratchy. This is closer to his art in the early 80's and that is A-Okay with me (Loved his Amazing Spider-Man work back then). Closer, but still a little too lose, but better.

Still hard to really get into these 'hero vs hero' fight things for me, but this one seemed a little more reasonable, as far as why the fight occurred.

And for what it is worth, in issue 0, Hope fighting the Serpent Squad was way better than the Wanda story. And I will head-butt anyone that says otherwise. Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »

For me,

The reborn Vision seems way too emotional for any version of Vision. And I could not help but be shocked that he was upset over her going mad when some version of him tried to take over the world. Didn't know trained professionals blamed the formerly insane for not "reaching out" before going over the edge. This will be news for numerous people.  Ultimately, it shows the Avengers as yet again the most foolish heroes in the world-- you make not want to send Wanda on the path of emotional down spiral again if you have survived Avengers Disassembled and House of M.

The story read wrong on so many levels.

Just saying.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »

Issue 2 was okay......I like JRJR as much as the next guy(well maybe not as much), but I don't think that he's a good fit for this story.  I feel that when he has to draw a wide range of characters in a single story, a lot of it looks rushed, scratchy, and boxy.  A fight between Colossus and Red Hulk, or Thing and Cage vs Namor should look a lot cooler I think. In what would be a striking panel with White Queen punching Iron Man should have a lot more impact, but JRJR's current artwork just makes it look lifeless and flat.

The story isn't much better.  Like Perry mentioned, these Hero vs. Hero stories can miss the mark, and much of the back and forth between Avenger and X-Man is laughable.  I couldn't take the conversation between Cyclops and Cap while they were fighting, or the quick verbal jabs between Magneto and Quicksilver among others...

I'm still in it for the long haul, but I hope the story/art improves....

Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »

#2 wasn't as good as #1. Also, did anyone else notice that the Avengers leaped out of the helicarrier at the end of #1 but Colossus broke into the helicarrier and basically threw them out in #2?

- Hitgirl
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »

Issue 5

We are officially in train wreck mode IMO.

Angry

Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »

#5 wasn't that bad. And I'm interested in what they're going to do with

five of the X-Men being a part of the Pheonix.

But most of the tie-ins have been more interesting than the series itself. And that's sad.

- Hitgirl
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS